Free rotors, 2012 model, with 25K miles

microvan

:
2012 Mazda5 GT (sold)
I have a set of front and rear rotors (so that's all 4) off a 2012 with less than 25K on them. The fronts started to judder at about 16K so I changed the pads and attempted to hand sand the rotors while they were on the car (I didn't do a very good job). The judder did decrease, but was annoying enough that I replaced them with new rotors at 25K before I sold my 5.

They came off very easily with a rubber mallet, so were not damaged at all on removal.

I'm sure with a proper sanding to get the pad deposits off, they'll be good for many more miles.

They're yours for the taking in northwestern NJ. If anyone wants to pay to have them shipped, I'm willing to do that as well.

Otherwise they go to scrap.

Once I got rid of the FoMoCo pads and had the rotors turned, all of my judder worries disappeared.

This is a nice offer and show of goodwill but the cost shipping them + having to drive to the shop + having them resurfaced = costing (in terms of effort + time) more than buying new aftermarket rotors shipped to your door. OEM rotors develop surface rust at the slight hint of moisture, they are garbage.

Once I got rid of the FoMoCo pads and had the rotors turned, all of my judder worries disappeared.

Yeah, I was a moron. I was afraid that if I tried to remove the rotors and damaged them, I'd be out of a car until I ordered new rotors. I was also thinking of selling the car at that point, and didn't want to pass the problem off to the next owner.

Turns out a few judicious whacks with a rubber mallet got them off in a jiffy.

It's probably just pad deposits from the crappy FoMoCo parts, and with a good sanding, they'll probably be good for another 30,000 miles. I used a hand sanding block while they were on the car, and did a poor job. Now that they're off, it would be much easier to give them proper sanding.

See here: http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123780204-Intermittent-brake-pedal-vibration

Or you can have them turned.

Last edited:
This is a nice offer and show of goodwill but the cost shipping them + having to drive to the shop + having them resurfaced = costing (in terms of effort + time) more than buying new aftermarket rotors shipped to your door. OEM rotors develop surface rust at the slight hint of moisture, they are garbage.

They do rust after they get wet, but it sounds like others haven't had much trouble with them. Not sure why I did, since I'm generally easy on brakes.

Agreed that shipping is probably prohibitive, but I figured if anyone local is interested then it's better than scrapping them. The scrap will be sent to China to remake more crappy rotors anyway!

Last edited:
Back