The Retrofit Source: Morimoto XB LED Fog Light Housings for Mazda

for those interested Morimoto plug and play XB LED foglights (Type Z for Mazda) in stock again on eBay $170/pair shipped,

only 2 pairs available

just FYI, also they fit old 2013-2015 CX-9's

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

1200 lumens isn't that much....I think these are good for short range which these are designed for ... these are proper fog lights,

but for those looking to supplement their main headlights to brighten up the foreground to get a better vision of road potholes/debris further up ahead , I don't think these are good options for supplementing main headlights spread area..... I don't think they have the long distance reach and throw, the throw is maybe 15 feet max in front of the car , but the side spread is nice......video of Morimoto XB LED fogs:

Last edited:
Upon inquiry with the dealer, the headlight is a whole assembly. Nothing to replace or whatsoever?

Which begs the question, if someday the bulbs gets busted, what are our options?

Sent from my ASUS_Z012D using Tapatalk

SayNoToPistons, is it possible to post some night pics and video ? I'm interested and seeing the light output for the XB (type Z) LED fogs,

thanks in advance, much appreciated.

I run a dash cam on my CX-5, and recently received the pre-orders of the Type Z fogs. I currently still have the stock halogen fogs (they're still aimed stupidly low from the factory), so I could run them tomorrow/soon and then again when I replace with the Type Z fogs. In the same parking space at early morning, I should be able to just turn off/on the fogs, so that you get a subjective view of the difference between halogen and LED projector fogs. FYI I performed a bench test on these, and they're wider than most aftermarket HID projectors (e.g. Morimoto and some on AliExpress) and many OEM projectors, but these DO have an intense hotspot in the middle of the beam, so you'll probably notice the width a bit less.

I'll give you a fair warning I already have a retrofit in my low beam and plan to retro in another set of projectors into my stock high beams (either MH1 7.0 or MD2S 4.0). I plan to wire them with a 3-way switch so that each pair of projectors is independent (but means I'd be routing some 16-14GA wire through the firewall grommet... ugh), but there's no guarantee that I'll have that all wired up when I switch out the foglight assemblies.

I really need to get on the ball and order/install these Morimoto on my CX-5... they really throw some useable light out there on my other rig. The LED swaps I did on my CX-5 are just aesthetic... they don't add any utility.

Time to bring back an old thread, lol. I finally had time to install the XB LED foglights and took some pics.

Quick notes:
1. Bumper doesn't need to be removed. As others have said, just remove the splash guard under the fogs.
2. passenger side is much tighter to work on due to the washer tank. (took much longer to install too, i suggest tackling this first)
3. the fogs come with without the plug connector installed. You'll need to test the wiring prior to installing the connector to the pins. Mine was RED -> RED, Black -> Black (fog -> OEM harness)
4. You need to remove a small section of the fog light housing mount so the Morimoto fogs can fit. (Back heatsink for LEDs see picture below)

Tool:
6mm socket
10mm socket
Philips
Plastic pry tool
Dremel Tool

2vb7sc0.jpg

2aa0mcg.jpg

Remove the splash guard bolts and the fog light cover. There are 3 screws holding the Fog light housing to the bumper. (picture below shows the screw placement look for the holes with rings around them from the screw). Your best option is using a Philips socket since the spacing in the passenger side is very tight. Once removed you can remove the old fog lights. Mine had 1 pivot screw and 1 adjustment screw. Below is the photo of the housing (left side).
rvbmg9.jpg

You will need to trim the following section off right where the letter "L" or "R" is located.
ekixqx.jpg

Attached is the new foglight. You can see the big heatsink sticks out which is why the housing needed to be shaved/modified.
qq3cwn.jpg

Installing the foglight is pretty straight forward.
25f1u2v.jpg

Fully installed.
2mre61s.jpg

Here is the light projection with OEM HID. Unfortunately, i don't have a before pic with the old fogs, but i do know new Morimoto LED lights are more concentrated than stock. Also the new fog has a further beam pattern on the road.
ei0ca1.jpg

2d7iwzo.jpg

Sorry its not much of a install guide, but i just wanted to share my experience, lol.

Thanks!! That will motivate me to get these on the CX-5... love them on my GX... they throw out some really useable light.

Bringing this back from the dead....

I've had Morimoto fogs on my GX for 4 or 5 years now... just ordered a set for the CX-5.

Proper aiming they make great supplemental driving lights as well.

27070.Mazda_Morimoto_XB_LED.030.jpg

Fog Lights - CX-5-page-001.jpg
Fog Lights - CX-5-page-002.jpg
Fog Lights - CX-5-page-003.jpg
Fog Lights - CX-5-page-004.jpg
Fog Lights - CX-5-page-005.jpg
Fog Lights - CX-5-page-006.jpg
Fog Lights - CX-5-page-007.jpg
Fog Lights - CX-5-page-008.jpg
Fog Lights - CX-5-page-009.jpg
Fog Lights - CX-5-page-010.jpg
Fog Lights - CX-5-page-011.jpg
Fog Lights - CX-5-page-012.jpg

Last edited:
@Kedis82ZE8 , I wonder if there's much difference between the 2015 CX-5 GT and the 2016 CX-5 GT.

For my own 2016, it's got the LED fogs ... and neither Morimoto nor The Retrofit Source list the Morimoto XB LED fogs as fitting the 2016 vehicle. Both sites list the 2013-2015 CX-5 as the fitment.

Having this set (on your 2015) and being apparently happy with it for several years, do you happen to know? I'll be calling Morimoto to speak with them about the 2016+ vehicles. If it's a slight difference in the grille/surround, I'm wondering if minor cutting/fitting can get them to work, or whether it's more involved. (Haven't yet been in there, at the fog light and surround, to verify the plug and the format of the cutout and mounting on the surround.)

Back