The Retrofit Source: Morimoto XB LED Fog Light Housings for Mazda

these will fit the 2016 without the led package? i think i read somewhere that it did but i just want to make sure before i buy them.

anyone knows whatever happened to these Morimoto XB type Z for Mazda foglights and why they were discontinued ? just wondering how the light output is, looks like a direct fit replacement (the two swivel side posts and the adjusting screw on the bottom just like OEM housing)

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

s-l400.jpg

They're awesome. Damn shame they're discontinued.

Sent from a Samsung that doesn't explode.

Someone posted some lights they purchased on the cx-5 club face book page; LED head/taillights are really discounted on ebay right now.
i.e
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l500.jpg

thx Chris, those might be less expensive viable options for those with out-of warranty failed 2016+ tech LED DRL's headlights and the aftermarket taillights might be good for non-tech owners who want something different....

the Morimoto xb LED's type Z are for all Mazda's up to 2016 except the new CX-5 and Cx-9 LED foglights,

see link below (it's a Mazda 3 but the CX-5 and all Mazda's use the same fog housing just different plastic brackets that hold them in).... it's so easy to install , plug and play,

http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/2014-2016-mazda-3-skyactiv-how-guides/104482-installing-morimoto-mazda-type-z-led-fog-lights.html

it's a shame they discontinued it.....

quoted from the same link above....

Got this reply from TRS:

Thanks for the email! Due to limited demand Morimoto discontinued those fog lights some time ago. In fact, they only ever made one batch of those units, and per us never ordering anymore (because we still had so many in stock) they were prompted to discontinue those models. We've introduced several other models since then, including the Universal ones you mentioned, but we haven't offered anything for the Mazdas specifically since them being discontinued.

We have no inventory at all of those Mazda units at this point, and wouldn't be able to help with sourcing a pair unfortunately. For Morimoto to make another batch it requires a 300 pair Minimum Order Quantity and TRS isn't going to be able to sit on that much inventory again, considering how long it took us to sell the ones we did have in stock.

Last edited:
That is just a total shame. I am very glad I kick started this and actually got the first set. The output, cutoff, and beam angles were absolutely the best I have seen from any foglight. That also includes OEM LED foglights from BMW, Land Rover, Lexus, and an Audi. Having compared the new CX-5's LED foglights and these, there is simply no competition.I would have a couple extra sets ordered had I known they would be discontinued.

Very tempted to take off the pair in the CX-5 and store it while I try to retrofit another using the Morimoto's again.

That is just a total shame. I am very glad I kick started this and actually got the first set. The output, cutoff, and beam angles were absolutely the best I have seen from any foglight. That also includes OEM LED foglights from BMW, Land Rover, Lexus, and an Audi. Having compared the new CX-5's LED foglights and these, there is simply no competition.I would have a couple extra sets ordered had I known they would be discontinued.

Very tempted to take off the pair in the CX-5 and store it while I try to retrofit another using the Morimoto's again.
One of the best Christmas presents I ever got...

Sent from a Samsung that doesn't explode.

thx Chris, those might be less expensive viable options for those with out-of warranty failed 2016+ tech LED DRL's headlights and the aftermarket taillights might be good for non-tech owners who want something different....

the Morimoto xb LED's type Z are for all Mazda's up to 2016 except the new CX-5 and Cx-9 LED foglights,

see link below (it's a Mazda 3 but the CX-5 and all Mazda's use the same fog housing just different plastic brackets that hold them in).... it's so easy to install , plug and play,

http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/2014-2016-mazda-3-skyactiv-how-guides/104482-installing-morimoto-mazda-type-z-led-fog-lights.html

it's a shame they discontinued it.....

quoted from the same link above....

Got this reply from TRS:

Thanks for the email! Due to limited demand Morimoto discontinued those fog lights some time ago. In fact, they only ever made one batch of those units, and per us never ordering anymore (because we still had so many in stock) they were prompted to discontinue those models. We've introduced several other models since then, including the Universal ones you mentioned, but we haven't offered anything for the Mazdas specifically since them being discontinued.

We have no inventory at all of those Mazda units at this point, and wouldn't be able to help with sourcing a pair unfortunately. For Morimoto to make another batch it requires a 300 pair Minimum Order Quantity and TRS isn't going to be able to sit on that much inventory again, considering how long it took us to sell the ones we did have in stock.
Yes, too bad that they discontinued them. I was fortunate enough to get in on a GB for them for my Miata on another forum. IIRC I scored them for around $135.

Sent from my Galaxy S7 Edge using Tapatalk

I messaged TRS about this and the closest thing they have is the 70mm general fitment Morimoto XB. It would be a pain in the ass to retrofit given the lack of space and plastic mounting points.

I found something similar on Alibaba the other night, but I'm hesitant about the quality. Might try and get a 'sample' set and see how they are.

I saw those as well. Granted they are cheaper, even with their heavily photoshopped picture of the beam pattern, they are much better off as "accent lights" rather than real functional foglights (Morimoto XB).

good review with pictures on Morimoto XB LED fogs from Toyota Nation,
output is bright and superb, and foglight output seems to cutoff where the main driving lights start:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/310-7th-generation-2012/869201-morimoto-xb-led-fog-light-review.html

meh, it looks just ok, the LED light doesn't throw very far, agree it looks like it stops when the main lights start, it like the see some fog lighting supplement the main driving lights, not sure in the Toyota Nation poster had it aimed too low, I admit the light pattern is nice and wide and definitely helps shine up the foreground and corners very nicely.....just like to see a little more throw out into the distance....

Last edited:
meh, it looks just ok, the LED light doesn't throw very far, agree it looks like it stops when the main lights start, it like the see some fog lighting supplement the main driving lights, not sure in the Toyota Nation poster had it aimed too low, I admit the light pattern is nice and wide and definitely helps shine up the foreground and corners very nicely.....just like to see a little more throw out into the distance....

Those pictures dont do our XBs justice. Most likely the aim. Keep in mind, not all XB's use the same lenses, reflectors, and LEDs.

My XBs are aimed significantly higher, and it offers plenty fill lighting where my low beam bi-xenons hit the road surface. I am not one to swing on a manufacturer's nuts, but these are (were) truly a great product.

I saw those as well. Granted they are cheaper, even with their heavily photoshopped picture of the beam pattern, they are much better off as "accent lights" rather than real functional foglights (Morimoto XB).

Wouldn't really matter to me that much because of the laws where I live. We can only use fogs lights in "adverse conditions" which don't happen very often in South Australia, and we can actually be fined for having them on in normal conditions. I'd really want them for the DRL light

Just received news from TRS. The Type-Z XB's may be coming back in May 2017. This might be a single 300 set batch again.

Back