2015 Mazda CX-5 Torque Converter Recall??

gw_12

:
2015 Mazda CX-5 Touring
I received a call from the service manager at the dealer where I purchased my 2015 CX-5 (2.5 engine) 6 weeks ago and was told that my car has been recalled and he needs to replace the torque converter in my car as soon as possible (2-3 day job). I've searched on this forum, Mazda's site, and elsewhere on the web and have found no information about a recall for the 2015 CX-5, for this or any other reason.

Can anyone point me to more information about this recall, and the reason for it? Thanks.

Thanks for the responses and links. I will definitely call Mazda US Customer service on Monday before I drop off the car. I'm definitely not thrilled about major surgery on a car with only 1600 miles on it. I'll let you folks know what I find out.

I received a call from the service manager at the dealer where I purchased my 2015 CX-5 (2.5 engine) 6 weeks ago and was told that my car has been recalled and he needs to replace the torque converter in my car as soon as possible (2-3 day job). I've searched on this forum, Mazda's site, and elsewhere on the web and have found no information about a recall for the 2015 CX-5, for this or any other reason.

Can anyone point me to more information about this recall, and the reason for it? Thanks.

What is the build month on your doorframe?

Thanks!

I'm definitely not thrilled about major surgery on a car with only 1600 miles on it. I'll let you folks know what I find out.

I agree! Check this out at Mazda. There sure are many things to screw up when a torque converter is replaced.

Quick Update 2/23:

I took paris1's advice and called Mazda USA customer service this morning. They stated that my car had been recalled, but their data indicated that the recall work was performed before sale. I stopped by the dealership to confirm this with the service manager. He said that it had been performed, but during an audit he had determined that it was not done correctly, and they need to do it again.

Details (as explained to me):
The recall is DRW02 and the problem is a possibly cracked ring groove in the torque converter. The affected vehicles must be inspected by removing the engine and transmission and disassembling to the point where the technician can visually check the serial number of the torque converter. If the serial number falls into a certain range, the torque converter must be replaced. When my car was inspected the technician determined that it was not one of the affected parts, but the photo of the torque converter serial number he took for the report indicates that it is. So the service manager wants to pull it apart again to re-inspect and, if necessary, replace the torque converter.

I got the impression that this recall impacts a fairly small number of vehicles and most were inspected/repaired before sale.

Last edited:
I find it very surprising that Mazda cannot track defective parts based on vin# alone. All components of the vehicle system has their dedicated part # that correlates to its specific production/vendor batch (at the very least). This is standard QA function for any large company.

Uh oh. Do I need to put in a call to Mazda? Have a 2015 Touring AWD. Why is there no actual recall paperwork for this??

Uh oh. Do I need to put in a call to Mazda? Have a 2015 Touring AWD. Why is there no actual recall paperwork for this??

Quick update, I sent an email to Mazda customer service via the MyMazda app, saying that I had heard about a torque converter recall but have not heard from my dealer, and to please advise ASAP.

Umm, perhaps because you're not part of the affected serial number range?

gw_12s report sounds like great customer service - they checked, double-checked, and when they found a problem, 'fessed up to it and called the customer. It's unreasonable to expect 0 mistakes to occur, so it's what a company does afterwards that matters. It sounds as though Mazda's procedures were effective, so I would not stress about this - if you're affected, you'd be contacted.

I've got a lot of powertrain warranty left so if this is indeed an issue I am sure Mazda will address it for me.

Umm, perhaps because you're not part of the affected serial number range?

gw_12s report sounds like great customer service - they checked, double-checked, and when they found a problem, 'fessed up to it and called the customer. It's unreasonable to expect 0 mistakes to occur, so it's what a company does afterwards that matters. It sounds as though Mazda's procedures were effective, so I would not stress about this - if you're affected, you'd be contacted.

I have zero faith in the customer service at my dealership of purchase, so I wouldn't be remotely surprised if my car was affected and I wasn't notified. Please excuse me for being concerned about what could be a major problem in my brand new car!

The original poster got a call from the service manager of the dealer s/he purchased from.

The original poster had a "recall of a recall" - that is, his dealer was very careful and in double-checking that the recall had been done, found out that it had not been. With concerns about his dealer, Pretzel is correct to be worried about it, as in the same situation he might not have been notified.

Pretzel, if taking a picture of the SN is a standard procedure, you could ask to see the picture from your car.

Flymo

The original poster had a "recall of a recall" - that is, his dealer was very careful and in double-checking that the recall had been done, found out that it had not been. With concerns about his dealer, Pretzel is correct to be worried about it, as in the same situation he might not have been notified.

Pretzel, if taking a picture of the SN is a standard procedure, you could ask to see the picture from your car.

Flymo

Thanks, Flymo. I just don't trust my dealer - they have given me zero reasons to - but I did get an email back from Mazda customer service this AM and they ran my VIN and found no recalls, so that's a relief. I would encourage everyone to do this, because I have never in my life come across a dealer I would consider trustworthy. Don't rely on your dealer, or frankly, even Mazda, to notify you - everyone should proactively check for things like this. Anybody can slip through the cracks.

Just check out the still-ongoing enormous GM recalls if you need adequate reason.

Back