Clutch master cylinder replacement

bwhiting

:
2008 Mazda 5 GS, 1994 Turbo Miata
I came off the highway the other day, went to shift to 4th and pedal went to the floor too easy and didn't come back, didn't engage so no shift. Needless to say I panicked a bit but pried the pedal back up with my foot and tried again. It got me into neutral but sitting at the light I had to pump the pedal a few times to get into first and then do the same every shift afterwards. Checked the brake/clutch reservoir and it was low so I filled it and looked everywhere in the engine bay for leaks..nothing. Topping it up changed things very little. So I checked up in the footwell and could see that fluid was leaking from the master cyclinder part that is on the interior side of the firewall. Pumping the pedal a few times and I could see bubbling so likely it is leaking fluid and also sucking air into the system.

Went online and could find not a single other complaint for either the 5 or the mazda 3 with this issue. So I've order a new master cylinder from the US and will attempt the replacement.

Where is the slave cylinder located? I think I need to use that bleed valve to bleed the system afterwards?

Any advice? Looks like it will be an awful contortionist repair due to location on both sides of the firewall

Ben

Latest posts

Back