Help: Mazda3 Rough Acceleration/Backfire

shawn46

:
02 Mazda Protege ES, 01 Mazda Protege LX, 2004 Mazda RX-8.
i have a problem accelerating with my Mazda3. After it warms up this problem emerges when that If I slowly edged the car up, it will run like normal. however, when I stomp the gas petal, the car just doesn't go. it chugs, it backfires, but it just won't accelerate. it works for for the first two minutes, but after that comes issues. There is no cel at all. here's a couple videos as just to demonstrate.

so far I've...
  • Replaced MAS
  • Checked MAS wiring
  • Replaced 02 Sensor
  • Cleaned Throttle Body
  • Cleaned EGR
  • Sprayed starter fluid around vacuum houses
  • Did hours of internet reading

if anybody has any suggestions, that would be awesome. I'm a little stuck as to where to go next. it's a 2004 Mazda3 2.3l.

Last edited:
I'm going to guess no. I can't drive it down to the gas station to fill it up, but I dumped a bit in from a jerry can last night; no change. I'm in Edmonton right now, so not even close.

Update: apparently the issue only emerges after the engine warms up. when I first start it cold, it's perfectly content to run. I'm going to go back to the o2 sensor and double check that. any other ideas?

What year and how many miles (kilometers) are on the odometer? The fact that it does this after warming up is often indicative of a crack in a hose or plastic intake snorkel. Do you have access to a vacuum gauge?

hey Mr. Angelo! in your days as a mechanic didn't do O2 sensor diagnostics for the customers?...you could get a sophisticated labscope and connect it to the O2 sensor and see how it works!(outie)

Back in the late 90's and early 2000's, when I was a mechanic, many emission issues were bad O2 sensors. (Among other things like EGR valves, catalytic converters, etc etc...)
Just like a spark plug, the O2 sensor needs to eventually be replaced. Many times the vehicles powertrain control module will set a hard code and illuminate the malfunction indicator light in the dash. This makes diagnosis easy. It is when the PCM does not set a code that the mechanic has to look at the engine sensors' values to see the readings. A good scan tool will show those values and give the technician the information needed to pinpoint the faulty sensor(s).
Diagnosis becomes challenging when sensor readings are within spec but may be slow to react, cycle or are just skewed.

I am not in any position to diagnose someones car on this forum.

If you feel that you are a better technician than me, (I know you do) go ahead and tell shawn46 your expert opinion. (laugh)

Last edited:
So you cannot diagnose your own car!....Ok, I will give you my opinion tomorrow morning @ work!....MLK...(flame2)
back in the late 90's and early 2000's, when i was a mechanic, many emission issues were bad o2 sensors. (among other things like egr valves, catalytic converters, etc etc...)
just like a spark plug, the o2 sensor needs to eventually be replaced. Many times the vehicles powertrain control module will set a hard code and illuminate the malfunction indicator light in the dash. This makes diagnosis easy. It is when the pcm does not set a code that the mechanic has to look at the engine sensors' values to see the readings. A good scan tool will show those values and give the technician the information needed to pinpoint the faulty sensor(s).
Diagnosis becomes challenging when sensor readings are within spec but may be slow to react, cycle or are just skewed.

I am not in any position to diagnose someones car on this forum.

If you feel that you are a better technician than me, (i know you do) go ahead and tell shawn46 your expert opinion. (laugh)

Last edited:
Back