New member and buying advice

MartenS

:
Mazda CX-5 2013 AWD
Hello.

I am a new member on this site. Thanks for a really good forum. Lots of information :)

I have since one month ago looked at buying a CX-5. Have read a lot of good reviews about it. (Never owned a Mazda before)
My old car was a Subaru Legacy 3.0. It was a really "thirsty" engine. So i'm looking for an more cheaper car to own and drive.
I drive around 10 000 km/year and towing my boat just a few times a year.

The car I looked at is a 2012 2.0 160 BHP AWD with Vision-package (xeon, parkingsystem, navi), etc.
The car is manufactured in autumn 2012 so I guess that's 2013 years model right?

But then I suddenly see that there were major problems with "infotainment" system. Is it so bad that I should not buy this car?
Is it the same problem with bluetooth and USB in this modell as the 2014 and 2015 modell?

Is it the USB and iPod connector that screws up most? I will probably listen to Spotify via Bluetooth, or has Bluetooth as much trouble?

I live in Sweden and read here on the forum that there is a replacement part for the bluetooth module in EU. Are there any who changed it and have it solved the problems?

Besides the bad infotainment, is it something else i should be aware of?

Best Regards.
Mrten

Hello.

I am a new member on this site. Thanks for a really good forum. Lots of information :)

I have since one month ago looked at buying a CX-5. Have read a lot of good reviews about it. (Never owned a Mazda before)
My old car was a Subaru Legacy 3.0. It was a really "thirsty" engine. So i'm looking for an more cheaper car to own and drive.
I drive around 10 000 km/year and towing my boat just a few times a year.

The car I looked at is a 2012 2.0 160 BHP AWD with Vision-package (xeon, parkingsystem, navi), etc.
The car is manufactured in autumn 2012 so I guess that's 2013 years model right?

But then I suddenly see that there were major problems with "infotainment" system. Is it so bad that I should not buy this car?
Is it the same problem with bluetooth and USB in this modell as the 2014 and 2015 modell?

Is it the USB and iPod connector that screws up most? I will probably listen to Spotify via Bluetooth, or has Bluetooth as much trouble?

I live in Sweden and read here on the forum that there is a replacement part for the bluetooth module in EU. Are there any who changed it and have it solved the problems?

Besides the bad infotainment, is it something else i should be aware of?

Best Regards.
Mrten

Welcome Marten!

The North American 2013 models did not have the aggravating delay and re-start to the first song issue. That showed up on 2014 models.

I imagine it is the same for EU models. The GPS is horrible (TomTom) but if you can forgo that I think you will be OK.

Brilliant car with no major first year issues.

Infotainment problems; USB restarts and reloads everytime you start car, iphone/ipod have play problems, bluetooth works pretty good with most other phones, CD is flawless, FM digital radio is great. Stock speakers are awful, so get Bose option if you can.

I wouldn't recommend the 2.0 especially if you are going to be towing a boat. The 2.5 has far more power and torque peak is 1000rpm lower making a great tow vehicle. The 2.5 is far more efficient than your old 3.0 subie. Driving a 2.0 will frustrate you and make you crabby. There were so many complaints in the first year, the 2.5 was created to quiet the critics.

Infotainment problems; USB restarts and reloads everytime you start car, iphone/ipod have play problems, bluetooth works pretty good with most other phones, CD is flawless, FM digital radio is great. Stock speakers are awful, so get Bose option if you can.

I wouldn't recommend the 2.0 especially if you are going to be towing a boat. The 2.5 has far more power and torque peak is 1000rpm lower making a great tow vehicle. The 2.5 is far more efficient than your old 3.0 subie. Driving a 2.0 will frustrate you and make you crabby. There were so many complaints in the first year, the 2.5 was created to quiet the critics.

Thanks for the input.

Unfortunately there is no 2.5 in the EU market. Just 2.0 with 160 (AWD)/165 (FWD) BHP, and then i'ts the Diesel 2.2 with 150 BHP.
The diesel is a little bit off my budget.

But it's the manuel gearbox. Does this maybe help me with this engine?

Best Regards, Mrten

Thanks for the input.

Unfortunately there is no 2.5 in the EU market. Just 2.0 with 160 (AWD)/165 (FWD) BHP, and then i'ts the Diesel 2.2 with 150 BHP.
The diesel is a little bit off my budget.

But it's the manuel gearbox. Does this maybe help me with this engine?

Best Regards, Mrten

I've heard the 2.2 diesel gets high praise, but I would read forums about fuel getting into oil. That problem may have already been solved, but I read about it a year ago. The diesel would be perfect to tow a boat.

I've heard the 2.2 diesel gets high praise, but I would read forums about fuel getting into oil. That problem may have already been solved, but I read about it a year ago. The diesel would be perfect to tow a boat.

Of course a diesel would be good :)
But I think I will have a test drive to get my own opinion of this 2.0 AWD MT car.

Thanks for the input.

//Mrten

Hi.

Just for information. I bought the car. It's 2.0 AWD 2013 with MT.
Ok it's not a race car ;). But for me it's enough. For being that "big" car it's not so expensive to drive. When i drove home (400km) and speed around 90-120 Km/h i'm ended up with an average of 7.3/100km (32.2MPG).

And the infotainment system works really good. The bluetooth pretty much connects immediately and has the contact information ready.
And also the USB works, and it resumes where it ended if i start the car again.

//Mrten

Back