2016 Mazda CX-5 - What do you not like?

I agree. Full on trolls are easily spotted. Most of us are daily users. Between Y and myself we have 50K miles on our zdas. Thats experience for new buyers. Plus never understood people blocking others. Might as well make a Mazdaloveboygirl.com website and keep drooling.
Exactly!

BTW Kaps, I really envy your CX-5s fuel efficiency capability and ours although its an AWD simply cant reach 30 mpg as advertised by EPA on the highway unless I drive 60~70 mph and you know thats so dangerous in Texas!

So I just went out and looked at the Jeep sun visor. Guess how many screws? Just one. Seems it not that uncommon. Or Jeep is cheap, too. They at least spent a penny on a plastic cover over the screw.
b203ece6f188d04f7fb317c19b557174.jpg

So I just went out and looked at the Jeep sun visor. Guess how many screws? Just one. Seems it not that uncommon. Or Jeep is cheap, too. They at least spent a penny on a plastic cover over the screw.
Flip the visor and show me the other side of the base please ⋯

All this stuff is just produced by a handful of manufacturers. Look at steering wheels. It seems 75% of vehicles have the same three spoke wheel. Only the controls are different and sometimes not by that much.

You don't trust me? You really think I'd lie about that? You hurt my feelings. Again.

Last edited:
20 ******* degrees outside, I'm going outside taking pictures of sun visors
aabe0381936b680afb70c7c2685709eb.jpg

20 ******* degrees outside, I'm going outside taking pictures of sun visors
aabe0381936b680afb70c7c2685709eb.jpg
Sorry I forgot youre in Cleveland (at least your Cavaliers and Indians are doing much better than our Mavericks and Rangers) and I didnt mean to get a picture right away. I want to see the other side of the base is Id like to see how the base is designed by Jeep. As you can see the other side is indeed shorter, to make the longer side with screw taking less force than shorter side with strong build-in plastic clip. Even as simple as a sun visor base can involve complex design.

Your in-laws Jeep Cherokee uses one screw to save a penny, but spends a penny to make a cover to hide the ugly screw. Thiss justified as long as you reinforce the screw hole making sure the thread wont get stripped easily. My thread stripped and I dont see any reinforcement on the screw hole sheet metal.

My falling driver-side sun visor:
attachment.php

3C108F8D-5A7C-420A-8DB4-97586FDEBD34.png

No reinforcement on sheet metal for screw hole:
attachment.php

E5C4C20E-8D17-4C25-AEA7-3AE1DFFE4CEE.png

Ugly screw exposed (passenger-side). Thiss a no-no if Mazda wants to go higher-end market:
attachment.php

33425591-16D4-4505-BFC2-6AC8228EB0C7.png

2 screws on my old faithful 1998 Honda CR-V:
attachment.php

DBBF1018-4A14-4C1F-AE1B-803740013FEE.png

Youll be pleased to know theyve addressed it on the 2017. There is still a single screw but it has a nice little cover and the plug for the vanity light forms part of the fixing. A single screw is all that is needed.

I put Katzkin leathers in mine. Love 'em.

Only a couple of things bother me about my 2016.5 CX5
- that stupid little parking brake button. I want my parking lever back.
- and the license plate screws (rusted already). I replaced them with stainless steel.

The license plate screws are installed by the dealer, so whatever the parts department is supplying them with is what they are using. We supply them with Stainless steel bolts at our dealership. We used to use plastic bolts but they would get stuck and break off, causing headaches for the owners if they ever needed to remove the plate.

Why use screws at all, my caravan plate holds on with sticky backed pads, never had one fall off.

Last edited:
I put Katzkin leathers in mine. Love 'em.

Only a couple of things bother me about my 2016.5 CX5
- that stupid little parking brake button. I want my parking lever back.
- and the license plate screws (rusted already). I replaced them with stainless steel.

The license plate screws are installed by the dealer, so whatever the parts department is supplying them with is what they are using. We supply them with Stainless steel bolts at our dealership. We used to use plastic bolts but they would get stuck and break off, causing headaches for the owners if they ever needed to remove the plate.

Be thankful that Mazda dealers didn't do what some VW dealers did back in 2012 when I purchased my Jetta TDI.

Some of these idiot dealers used sheet metal screws that were too long to attach the rear license plate. Several folks on the VW forum had this issue with their new cars. In some cases the screws were long enough to pierce the sheet metal behind the license plate. As soon as I read about this I pulled my rear plate off to see what's what. The screws used were indeed too long but they didn't pierce the sheet metal, they did however make a dimple in the metal and penetrated the paint. I raised a stink with my dealer about it and they wanted me to bring the car in so that they could deal with it. I refused and demanded that they provide me with some touch up paint and clear coat so that I could take care of it myself, they did.

Yeah they felt fine for the test drive. Figured I would just adjust everything to my liking when I brought it home like any other car.

Back