2016 Mazda CX-5 - What do you not like?

The Rogue does have some nice features, especially that sunroof. But the interior just does not compare to the CX-5. I have been in the CX-5 but not the Rogue so I'm just going off of pictures for the Rogue. I will have to test drive one but I think the CX-5 will still offer the better driving experience.

The Rogue is indeed very nice! If the local dealer had given me a better trade-in price and the delivery time was shorter I might have gone with it instead of the 2016 CX-5. I found the interior to be better than the 2015 CX-5, and about on par with the 2016. The sunroof is great (mostly for those riding in the back). No automatic transmission is is available up here though. I was somewhat impressed the parking assistant actually worked. I doubt I'd actually be using it that much since it takes a little while to tell it where you want to park (and you look like some jackass fiddling with his stereo while doing it, not nice when there are cars waiting to go past). The 4 way camera was pretty much useless during my test drives due to the weather. The cooled/heated cupholders were great, I wish the CX-5 had at least cooled cupholders.

It is different driving experience though, but I'd recommended a test drive anyway.

The Rogue is indeed very nice! If the local dealer had given me a better trade-in price and the delivery time was shorter I might have gone with it instead of the 2016 CX-5. I found the interior to be better than the 2015 CX-5, and about on par with the 2016. The sunroof is great (mostly for those riding in the back). No automatic transmission is is available up here though. I was somewhat impressed the parking assistant actually worked. I doubt I'd actually be using it that much since it takes a little while to tell it where you want to park (and you look like some jackass fiddling with his stereo while doing it, not nice when there are cars waiting to go past). The 4 way camera was pretty much useless during my test drives due to the weather. The cooled/heated cupholders were great, I wish the CX-5 had at least cooled cupholders.

It is different driving experience though, but I'd recommended a test drive anyway.

Great info. I will definitely look at one. Maybe try to get the dealers to fight for my sale when I buy later this year lol I saw you can get ambient lighting underneath the car that comes on with unlocking the car and opening doors. May sound "ricer" like but for $200, I think it'd be a pretty cool addition. But as far as the interior, guess its one of those things you can't judge until you sit in one. I'm so obsessed with the 16 CX-5 though, it's going to be tough to break me.

Honestly, when I was test-driving other similar vehicles to the CX-5 (Forester, CR-V, Rogue, etc...) the Rogue was my most hated one, heh. The interior looks nicer compared to the CX-5, but in regards to outward appearance and how it drove, I absolutely hated it. Personal opinion, of course!

1) armrests attached to the side of the seats that fold up out of the way or back down for a comfortable rest are not there. Instead is a oddly shaped middle box department to accomedate that.
Folding armrest on driver seat is a thing of past for SUV's. Even Honda CR-V dumped that feature and favored a center console. But at least 2016 CX-5 offered a very convenient electrical parking brake switch instead of a annoying foot-operated one. Yeah, I miss that mini-van like big open space between two front seats and I don't mind to have that instead of center console which feels tight and pressured.

2) the dealer told me blind spot warning doesnt activate 40 km/h or slower. Why the heck not?
No, your dealer was wrong! The Blind Spot Monitoring System (BSM) on Mazda CX-5 does not operate when the vehicle speed is lower than about 6.2 mph (10 km/h). You can turn BSM off and keep it off by pushing the BSM-OFF button once. Like Ride92 said, you should be turning your head and checking your blind spot no matter what.

3) ..., a top trim Nissan Rogue SL
Nissan Rogue has CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission) which is historically problematic and unreliable. It is also making good EPA fuel economy ratings but failing to achieve the same NPG number in the real world situation. CVT alone, like turbo engine, will stop me to get a Rogue, not to mention Nissan has always been having worse quality and reliability than Japanese counterparts and predicted reliability rating by Consumer Reports is worse than CX-5.

4) No power tailgate. That would be nice when hands are full to close it either with a button on the car or on the fob
Power tailgate is nice but it is slow to open and you'll have to wait for it. Its huge mechanism intrudes sometimes useful upper corner space on both sides. Unlike everybody else, CX-5 lacks tailgate release/unlock switch inside near the driver seat and has no button on the key fob which is sometimes inconvenient.

Everyone is entitled to make their own choices.
When I chose the CX-5, the coolness of the interior lighting when you first see it was not one of the factors. BSM is nice, but like others said, you must turn your head anyway and you must not rely on it. It is only there as backup in, case you somehow missed something in your blind spot.
For me, BSM works even below 40MPH. I would still buy the car even if it did not have BSM.

For me, the way the CX-5 drives, the fuel-economy, expected reliability and looks were the most important factors. I would very much hesitate getting a Nissan because they are less reliable than other Japanese makers. I only drove previous gen Rogue for a few days as a rental. The CVT in that car was OK on relatively flat roads but going uphill it made quite a lot of noise and did not feel good. The noise was such that I was concerned it may break down... From experience I know CVTs must be tested uphill as well.

Last edited:
I never check my blind spot anymore. At first it took me a while to trust the tech but you get used to it pretty quick. I like to think I'm pretty aware of my surroundings while driving and it's not as if I'm not looking in the mirror at all. Motorcycles can sneak up on you quick though so I can see the need there. As for the blinking light being distracting, I don't even notice it anymore unless I'm looking in the mirror.

Are you Serious!!!! You should always be checking your blind spot regardless of the systems in place to "ASSIST" you. This is a very good article on the faults of blind spot monitoring and it's faults. http://newsroom.aaa.com/tag/blind-spot-monitoring/
They found that Blind spot monitoring picked up motorcycles 26% later then vehicles. That's "knocking a motorcycle over distance"

Are you Serious!!!! You should always be checking your blind spot regardless of the systems in place to "ASSIST" you. This is a very good article on the faults of blind spot monitoring and it's faults. http://newsroom.aaa.com/tag/blind-spot-monitoring/
They found that Blind spot monitoring picked up motorcycles 26% later then vehicles. That's "knocking a motorcycle over distance"

Point taken. I've always had those little round mirrors so no need to turn my head. I think they would look cheesy on this car but it sure is nice, and safer, not having to turn your head.

BSM is for people who are already too lazy to look, hopefully it would help avoid atleast 1 accident. Unfortunately it might create more lazy people by design. One good idea always leads to another problem.

fapatalk

Last edited:
I looked at all the small suvs and I decided to stay away from the CVT drives until the technology has been out for at least 15 or so years. I am an older driver and I remember when automatic transmissions were the rage and how unreliable they were. I also wanted the safety technology that some of the cars had. I chose both the rav-4 and cx-5. The cx-5 deal was cheaper so I bought that one.

I looked at all the small suvs and I decided to stay away from the CVT drives until the technology has been out for at least 15 or so years. I am an older driver and I remember when automatic transmissions were the rage and how unreliable they were. I also wanted the safety technology that some of the cars had. I chose both the rav-4 and cx-5. The cx-5 deal was cheaper so I bought that one.

It's actually a tech that dates back to the 20's in modern times. I think Subaru first used it in their '88 Justy. Common on ATVs, snowmobiles and jet skis these days. My only CVT experience is with the ATVs and snowmobiles and there they are fairly reliable but if you don't drive them right you can burn & destroy the belt fairly easily. I believe the automobile belts are some kind of braided metal version where the ones I am used to are like large old school belts.

This is what a CVT looks like on a snowmobile, sled or snow machine depending on where you live. :)

clutch-cover-drive-belt.jpg

2016 Baby!!!!

Had this beauty for almost 1 month now. Loving every bit of it. My wife mostly drives it. We did a lot of homework. We both had Mazda 3's before, so we love us some Mazda. New to this forum, so hope to upload more pics when I do anything to the CX-5. (2thumbs) 2016 Mazda CX-5.jpgFullSizeRender.jpg

Last edited:
Can someone confirm, does all the window controls on the driver side light up? What about at each individual door? I'm mainly interested in the 2016 CX5.

Had this beauty for almost 1 month now. Loving every bit of it. My wife mostly drives it. We did a lot of homework. We both had Mazda 3's before, so we love us some Mazda. New to this forum, so hope to upload more pics when I do anything to the CX-5. (2thumbs) View attachment 210519View attachment 210520

Very nice. I almost went with white because of the new wheels, but it didn't have the electronic package. Congrats!!!

Gas mileage worse than city EPA estimates. Rattles in dashboard when cold. Audio system. Engine sound when cold. Rear headrests need to be removed when seat is folded in order to be flat. Unlighted switches. Car locks itself when I put in gas.

Gas mileage worse than city EPA estimates. Rattles in dashboard when cold. Audio system. Engine sound when cold. Rear headrests need to be removed when seat is folded in order to be flat. Unlighted switches. Car locks itself when I put in gas.

Either wrong thread or you bought the wrong car. :)

Driving this weekend, I had my side set to 68 and hers to 74 - I love the dual zone, but was really surprised you can't turn the center vents under the radio completely off. Even when I had the right center vent pushed moved all the way right, I could still feel the heat on my side.

On other vehicles we've owned and we have this situation (Air on one side, Heat on the other) we usually both turn off the front center vents so the air doesn't get crossed.

I know... I know... first world problems :)

Last edited:
Either wrong thread or you bought the wrong car. :)

Yeah I was going to engage but figured hey, to each their own.

I'm a bit confused here...this is the "What do you NOT like about your 2016" thread. I too have some of the same complaints as Fatboy418.
I have yet to come anywhere close to the EPA estimates but, it is still under a 1000 miles so I am waiting for full break in. I have a really nasty rattle from the passenger side dash that is at it's worst when cold out. My whole car vibrates badly when you first start it up, and lasts for a minute or two. I also dislike that they couldn't add a light to all the buttons.

Back