2016 Mazda CX-5 - What do you not like?

I was considering your crtique while driving last night and concluded that the only way to fix this would have been to have an above dash infotainment system. Even if it folded down when not in use, I would MUCH prefer in dash and lower controls.

Agreed. I am not sure what they could do differently without making the air vents or the infotainment much lower. These were just all the nitpicky things I noticed on my first drive. It didn't seem so bad today... maybe becaused I was focussed on the warning light :)

I don't get this. Why do you guys find physically pulling up on a big lever preferable to pushing a button? I could see if it was a manual and you were parked on a hill or something. Or you wanted to smoke your tires by hauling ass in to a turn then jamming the brake. But as far as refinement goes, a button seems much more stylish and smooth to me.

in the 2015, I didn't care for the parking brake location as I thought it took up valuable interior space. I was hoping they would move it to a foot pedal in the dead pedal spot left of the brake pedal. I never thought about electronic parking brake or even knew they existed. Needless to say I was pleasantly surprised when they made the non obtrusive electronic parking brake

I don't get this. Why do you guys find physically pulling up on a big lever preferable to pushing a button? I could see if it was a manual and you were parked on a hill or something. Or you wanted to smoke your tires by hauling ass in to a turn then jamming the brake. But as far as refinement goes, a button seems much more stylish and smooth to me.

The parking brake handle is a familiar interface and I suppose some of us feel a vehicle should be a bit "mechanical". We like to shift manually, and enjoy the satisfying ratchet of pulling the parking brake handle. That said, I do prefer power windows and locks.

I mean, there is really no use for a mechanical shifter for an automatic when dash-mounted push buttons would meet the need with a lot less space and weight, but folks would scream.

The parking brake handle is a familiar interface and I suppose some of us feel a vehicle should be a bit "mechanical". We like to shift manually, and enjoy the satisfying ratchet of pulling the parking brake handle. That said, I do prefer power windows and locks.

I mean, there is really no use for a mechanical shifter for an automatic when dash-mounted push buttons would meet the need with a lot less space and weight, but folks would scream.

All depends on how well it's designed. I would have a fit if I were unable to manually downshift while going down hills, and having a push button shifter for something like that would suck, unless there were paddle shifters on the steering wheel. Also, it's a PITA to reach for anything on the dash in this car, and accessing the shifter should be easy in case of an emergency. The Lincoln MKZ has push button dash shifters and it has a recall because people are turning off the car trying when they reach for the dash. I'd hate to accidentally shift into reverse. I wouldn't mind something like what's in the range rover, or the 2016 Pilot.

Last edited:
Don't forget the shifter, at least on the 16, has a manual option which you would not get from any kind of push button system. Paddle shifters would be cool though. Had them on a Vette I rented and they were awesome. More features = more money though and this is not a sports car after all so I'm very happy with the mix of performance, tech and refinement vs. cost.

Last edited:
Meh, my Subaru has the pattle shifters and I don't care for them much. They are especially annoying when turning (after a light or something). I like the manual on the Mazda shifter knob MUCH better - feels more sporty and functional.

On a side note, this weekend I realized how cheap the headliner and visors felt today - made me cringe. My Subaru has a much more soft / thick headliner and visor. The Mazda feels hallow and cheap.

Last edited:
On a side note, this weekend I realized how cheap the headliner and visors felt today - made me cringe. My Subaru has a much more soft / thick headliner and visor. The Mazda feels hallow and cheap.

I actually like the cheap headliner. I won't have to worry about it separating and sagging in the future.

I actually like the cheap headliner. I won't have to worry about it separating and sagging in the future.

That's funny... I remember glueing up the headliner in my brother's early 90's GMC pickup years back.

My wife drives over 500 miles a week, I don't think we will have the car long enough to see that issue, lol.

I have the 2015 Touring, but, I don't think they "fixed" this in the 2016, is I really miss having a temperature gauge. Especially in Winter, so, I can see when car should be warm enough to start giving me some warm air. I'd give the entire Tachometer for a temp gauge.

I have the 2015 Touring, but, I don't think they "fixed" this in the 2016, is I really miss having a temperature gauge. Especially in Winter, so, I can see when car should be warm enough to start giving me some warm air. I'd give the entire Tachometer for a temp gauge.

There is a temp gauge on the 16 kind of. The temp light is blue until the car is warm enough to blow warm air, then it goes out.

After a day with my new 2016 here's what I don't like:

1) the metal trim ring around the left side dash vent reflects in the drivers side window right where the outside mirror view is - very distracting.

2) Although I like the new infotainment system, I miss not having the track number display with the currently playing song from my USB flash drive. Sometimes it plays the songs in album order and sometimes alphabetically depending upon how you got to the song list. Otherwise I like the new infotainment system a lot.

Hi

What's you guys thoughts on Mazda keeping the headunit display in the dash, rather than tablet forum similar to the Mazda 3 etc? (this is what I would have preferred).

From what I can gather it was a costing decision for this year's release. As otherwise they would have had to re-develop the dash (likely next year for 2017 release).

Hi

What's you guys thoughts on Mazda keeping the headunit display in the dash, rather than tablet forum similar to the Mazda 3 etc? (this is what I would have preferred).

From what I can gather it was a costing decision for this year's release. As otherwise they would have had to re-develop the dash (likely next year for 2017 release).

Just curious as to why you prefer the above dash configuration? This is my first car with an infotainment system so I'm not sure about the pros and cons of each.

Just curious as to why you prefer the above dash configuration? This is my first car with an infotainment system so I'm not sure about the pros and cons of each.

The look. Wanted it to be the same / similar to the Mazda3/6 etc. Alot of the higher end cars are going that way. Just slightly dodgy the way they did it. They mentioned they would update it next year.

The look. Wanted it to be the same / similar to the Mazda3/6 etc. Alot of the higher end cars are going that way. Just slightly dodgy the way they did it. They mentioned they would update it next year.

I would be surprised if there would be any change next year to the dash config. The 2016 MY is a mid life refresh for the car. Any other big changes (especially a complete dash redesign) isn't going to happen for another 2-3 years. And once it hits that age, it will be the "all new" CX-5 with a pretty large overhaul on the design.

On the topic of the newer "ipad" designed infotainment dashes . . . IMO, I can't stand them. It looks like the designers got lazy and just decided to bolt a tablet onto the dash. No screen that motorizes out of the dash, no nice swooping design that accents the screen. Just plop it on top and call it a day. I can't believe people will pay 60k+ for some of the newer Mercedes with that design. End rant.

There have been some who consider the tablet style approach to look cheap. I speak of reviews of the Mercedes CLA/GLA. I prefer that the CX-5 has the screen integrated within the dash as before.

On the topic of the newer "ipad" designed infotainment dashes . . . IMO, I can't stand them. It looks like the designers got lazy and just decided to bolt a tablet onto the dash. No screen that motorizes out of the dash, no nice swooping design that accents the screen. Just plop it on top and call it a day. I can't believe people will pay 60k+ for some of the newer Mercedes with that design. End rant.

Agreed. I hate seeing an infotainment screen sticking out of the dash <i>all the time</i>. It looks cheap to me. One of the reasons I like this car is because the screen was part of the dash. The last thing I need is to accidentally break the thing off, have some idiot passenger knock it over, or have to dust it all the freaking time because dust magnet. Also, it's not going to be user intergchangeable so you'll be stuck with whatever crappy infotainment software the car company provides, until they implement Android Auto and/or Apple CarPlay.

We have had our 2016 CX-5 for a week. Comparing to similar SUV's like Honda CR-V or Toyota RAV4, we don't like:
- Very limited interior color choices. Our Sonic Silver can only have Black interior which is not preferred in hot Texas! Every other brand has lighter interior color such as gray available for silver exterior!
- No memory seat available in US but it does available in Europe and other countries for CX-5! This feature is also available for almost any other car with power driver seat. It is very annoying as we have two drivers.
- No hatch opening push button switch near hood release lever area and on the remote key fob like almost every other car with remote. This is inconvenient if you drive up to have someone else loading stuff into the trunk, especially in the inclement weather.
- Switches on doors, ceiling (sunroof switch) are not illuminated and no lights for door sills and glove compartment.
- No indicator light when front fog lights are on.
- Smaller trunk space and very restricted rear view.

We wish CX-5 could have:
- Front turn signal light separated from front parking light like CX-9 or Euro-spec cars.
- Rear fog light.
- Forward/backward adjustable and softer headrests. And my wife did complain the headrest being too forward and it is not adjustable due to the "active headrest" feature.
- AC ventilated leather seat.
- Rear AC vents for rear passengers.
- Headlight washers like in Europe and may be a rear camera lens washer!
- Front parking assist sensors.

Finally, we actually like the electric parking brake feature a lot. It not only saves space but also is very convenient to use for cars with automatic transmission. It is much better than using foot operated parking brake!

Just got an AWD 2016 Touring and really like it.
The wife is the primary driver but the one thing I don't like is that, there is no power outlet in the front. I could use one to plug the portable GPS charge cell phones, etc.
I couldn't believe it. Also, the power outlet in the center console (under the arm rest) and the one in the cargo area, will not shut off with the car off, they are always on.

Back