2016 Mazda CX-5 - What do you not like?

Think I found something else - my wife drove home in a frozen-mix storm today and said most of the way back the screen kept on and off displaying that the I-Active radar sensor couldn't read properly.

Looks like they should have included a small defroster element to keep the ice away from the radar sensor.

She said the warning displayed for the windshield laser too, but stayed off once the front defroster kicked in and it was fine the rest of the way back unlike the radar one inside the front logo.

It also looks like the LED lights don't get hot enough to melt ice off the headlights either.

The Bi-Xenons/HID's in all my cars (and past) never melted ice either.

I
Think I found something else - my wife drove home in a frozen-mix storm today and said most of the way back the screen kept on and off displaying that the I-Active radar sensor couldn't read properly.

Looks like they should have included a small defroster element to keep the ice away from the radar sensor.

She said the warning displayed for the windshield laser too, but stayed off once the front defroster kicked in and it was fine the rest of the way back unlike the radar one inside the front logo.

It also looks like the LED lights don't get hot enough to melt ice off the headlights either.

Man the things you guys have to deal with. I opened the garage door this morning and some water dripped on my car. I was infuriated.

I

Man the things you guys have to deal with. I opened the garage door this morning and some water dripped on my car. I was infuriated.

Watch what you say Bob! Don't curse yourself and bring on an earthquake or brush-fire inferno. We all have our thing, where I'm at it can be tornadoes or sink-holes.

Watch what you say Bob! Don't curse yourself and bring on an earthquake or brush-fire inferno. We all have our thing, where I'm at it can be tornadoes or sink-holes.

Careful... you are in New Madrid fault area.

77197485-new-madrid.jpg

Of course OR/WA state is prime subduction zone earthquake territory with possible 9.x magnitude quakes.

Doom gloom off now.. :)

I only have one gripe, other than that I love my 2016. I wish you could get into the vehicle and start it up, then walk away with the key in hand. Then if anyone got into it without the key the vehicle wouldn't move. Kinda like remote vehicle staters.

I only have one gripe, other than that I love my 2016. I wish you could get into the vehicle and start it up, then walk away with the key in hand. Then if anyone got into it without the key the vehicle wouldn't move. Kinda like remote vehicle staters.

I normally start in garage so don't do this but what happens if you start car, open door, hit power door lock button, pull out on door handle as you close the door?

The doors won't lock while the doors are open. Tried and failed in the past :(

True enough. My house borders a huge park with tons of trees that get very dry in the summer. And it gets quite windy in my parts as well. Not a good combo. Haven't felt the ground shake good in a while but you know what that means....it's building up.:(

I picked up my new 2016 GT in Canada last night, during a nice freezing rain storm. Thank God I bought snow tires for it. Overall, I am very happy. The car is quiet and smooth, nice stereo and adequate power. I traded in a Rav4 V6 so it is nowhere near that kind of power and acceleration, but still OK.

Here is my list of annoyances I noticed during my first couple drives, maybe 30 miles total...

- The angle of the windshield seemed to cause a lot of glare when I was driving at night in the slight freezing rain. It is tough to say whether the car is any better or worse than other cars without driving them in the exact same conditions?

- Homelink would not program without the existing remote. My Altima was not like this.

- The back window is very small. (I knew this all along). The rear visibility is quite poor and the rear seat headrests encroach on what is already a very small view. This really isn't a huge deal, it will just take some getting used to. I wonder if this means that Aleksei's face is going to always be in my rear view?

- It is tough to press the little button on the door handle to unlock it with winter gloves on because it is small, and recessed. (Nissan is much easier)

- If you sit high, and have the steering wheel low, you can't see the top of your instrument cluster (not the only car like this). Even if you raise the wheel, the steering wheel tends to cutoff the outer trim around the left and right dials, which is irritating. Also, if you have the steering wheel raised, you can't rest your arm on the door arm rest and reach the wheel. So... I am going to have to figure out a comfortable compromise.

- The drivers leg area is narrow or maybe the gas pedal is too close to the center console?, but my leg rubs against it. This does happen in some other cars also. It is partly because the seats do not go back enough to allow me to stretch my legs out a little more. This isn't a big deal to me. (I am 6'2")

- The shape of the side view mirrors is strange and it has a distracting effect looking into the mirrors because it is so strange. I can't describe this it is almost like it is difficult to focus on the mirror itself because the mouding around it is an odd shape. It really bugged me.

- The car will not let you do much on the touch screen when it is in motion. You have to use the dial/click wheel in front of the center storage. I guess the thinking is that "touching" the screen while driving is distracting or "reaching" is distracting. The truth is, you still have to look at the screen to do anything and still have your hand off the steering wheel to use the dial/click thingy they give you ... so WTF? How is that less distracting?

- If they are so concerned with distractions, how come the climate controls are very low with little buttons and little graphics for fan speed and where air is blowing. SO... when you want to adjust this, you need to look way down and concentrate. The lower you look, the less peripheral vision you have in front of you. This will obviously get better as you get used to the controls, but the design does nothing to help you concentrate on driving. In fact, I am not sure I have ever seen a more distracting climate control scheme.

- Also about the climate controls... they sit low, but the control panel is angled straight up and down. So, when you look down, you are looking at the controls at quite an angle (at least I was). Again, this is something I will get used to, but they really should have considered angling the control panel a little bit upwards for a more direct view to the driver, especially since there are quite a few controls there.

- I wish the seat went back about an inch more, but it is not too bad, and is not worse than most other cars.

- The owners manual and documentation takes up most of my glovebox! The book is like an inch thick and they give you one in French also, and a Navi book, and more literature than a herd of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Overall though, I drove everything in the class and even considered the RDX. I think the CX5 was the best choice and I really liked my first real drive in it this morning :) It does well on the things that are important.

That's quite a review after 1 night! Hopefully as you become acclimated to the car these annoyances will fade some. Congrats!

Yeah I was being as absolute nit-picky as possible. (Honestly, most of these issues are already a non-issue :))

Today, the car made a very annoying high-pitch whine when I started it. It is very cold where I live today -20C, (about -4F). I had a warning light on the dash. I looked it up and it was the LED lights warning. It stayed on all the way to work. When I got to work I shut off the car and started it again and the light was not there. I looked at the LED's and they seem to be working. So I am going to chalk this one up to just really bad cold and a basically brand new engine?

It is a little disappointing since neither my old Rav or my Nissan, which are 8 and 5 years old, sounded this bad at startup, in significantly colder days this winter, and neither had any warning lights happen.

I am kind of hoping this isn't an indication of the quality I can expect :(

On the positive side... They finally found my Nav SD card, so I got to see the Nav system. From what little I have seen so far, it looks very good!

I don't know if this was explained to you but when you start up the engine the Skyactiv makes a funny sound for a few seconds and as far as I know is because the air/fuel mixture is set to make the catalytic converter to reach the temperature needed to go in close loop as soon as possible.
Yeah I was being as absolute nit-picky as possible. (Honestly, most of these issues are already a non-issue :))

Today, the car made a very annoying high-pitch whine when I started it. It is very cold where I live today -20C, (about -4F). I had a warning light on the dash. I looked it up and it was the LED lights warning. It stayed on all the way to work. When I got to work I shut off the car and started it again and the light was not there. I looked at the LED's and they seem to be working. So I am going to chalk this one up to just really bad cold and a basically brand new engine?

It is a little disappointing since neither my old Rav or my Nissan, which are 8 and 5 years old, sounded this bad at startup, in significantly colder days this winter, and neither had any warning lights happen.

I am kind of hoping this isn't an indication of the quality I can expect :(

On the positive side... They finally found my Nav SD card, so I got to see the Nav system. From what little I have seen so far, it looks very good!

I don't like the push-button park brake.

agree 100%

I don't get this. Why do you guys find physically pulling up on a big lever preferable to pushing a button? I could see if it was a manual and you were parked on a hill or something. Or you wanted to smoke your tires by hauling ass in to a turn then jamming the brake. But as far as refinement goes, a button seems much more stylish and smooth to me.

I don't get this. Why do you guys find physically pulling up on a big lever preferable to pushing a button? I could see if it was a manual and you were parked on a hill or something. Or you wanted to smoke your tires by hauling ass in to a turn then jamming the brake. But as far as refinement goes, a button seems much more stylish and smooth to me.

I don't get it either. I've always had a pull brake, but really, the button is easy. :)

If they are so concerned with distractions, how come the climate controls are very low with little buttons and little graphics for fan speed and where air is blowing. SO... when you want to adjust this, you need to look way down and concentrate. The lower you look, the less peripheral vision you have in front of you. This will obviously get better as you get used to the controls, but the design does nothing to help you concentrate on driving. In fact, I am not sure I have ever seen a more distracting climate control scheme.

- Also about the climate controls... they sit low, but the control panel is angled straight up and down. So, when you look down, you are looking at the controls at quite an angle (at least I was). Again, this is something I will get used to, but they really should have considered angling the control panel a little bit upwards for a more direct view to the driver, especially since there are quite a few controls there.

I was considering your crtique while driving last night and concluded that the only way to fix this would have been to have an above dash infotainment system. Even if it folded down when not in use, I would MUCH prefer in dash and lower controls.

Latest posts

Back