2016 Mazda CX-5 - What do you not like?

I wish I could close the windows without having to start the engine. I like to leave the windows open on a hot day and sometimes close them if there is a chance of thunderstorms. A keyfob window up/down would be nice!

With the ignition off and your foot off the brake pedal, hit the ignition button twice to operate the windows.

I think that the term I'm looking for is refinement. Mazda lacks this.

I think that's a good description of my CX-5. When I was test-driving sedans and would get into my 2015 after, it was a pretty stark contrast. Stunning, almost! You get used to all of the bumps, bounces and jarring but the moment you ride in something else it becomes really apparent. The noise is bad but this is, by far, what wears you out most when you drive it.

The fact that even after the TSB for the side vents I can't have a nice interior with accent pieces if I wast to drive safely. Nearly get blinded 10xs a day" the way home from work. It's a joke, have to make the trim pieces matte and boring of I don't want to deal with it. Sucks
ce1fbfce032d179408e133cf6cc3f4ad.jpg

IMO I think that it is silly that the car does not come standard with heated seats.

Also the other things that are listed here are just little annoying things. You would rather be able to pick out the annoying unlighted window switches for passengers than be able to pick out an overly stiff or soft suspension... or crappy tranny etc.. I think if you are in any vehicle for a significant amount of time then you will find things that the company overlooked or things that could be done better. Remember the CX-5 ranges $22K-$32k... This is not a high end luxury vehicle.

I was between the CX-5 and a Crosstrek. The Crosstrek does come standard with heated seats and the newer model also received an updated dash/center stack. The Crosstrek also comes standard with a great AWD system. The Crosstrek also stands with 8.7 inches of ground clearance. BUT I would be unhappy with the underpowered 2.0 engine which only comes with a CVT. So the Subie was out for me... Just pointing out how IMO there will never be a perfect car where everything makes sense.

funny how you mentioned little annoying things and complain at lack of seat heaters...

The fact that even after the TSB for the side vents I can't have a nice interior with accent pieces if I wast to drive safely. Nearly get blinded 10xs a day" the way home from work. It's a joke, have to make the trim pieces matte and boring of I don't want to deal with it. Sucks
ce1fbfce032d179408e133cf6cc3f4ad.jpg
This dude worrying about safety....takes a picture on the freeway...what the...
My car never blinds me. Ever. Anyone else?

I thought the dealer would install the matte black pieces free under warranty if you request it?

Is that piece really chrome in the 2016's? Yeesh, I'd rip that out in a heartbeat.

This dude worrying about safety....takes a picture on the freeway...what the...
My car never blinds me. Ever. Anyone else?

Yes, depending upon the sun's position, there were certain times when the chrome interior bits would blind me. Mainly the center piece as noted, and occasionally excessive glare coming up from the shifter trim. I found it annoying but not bad enough to wrap it or cover it up.

Yes, depending upon the sun's position, there were certain times when the chrome interior bits would blind me. Mainly the center piece as noted, and occasionally excessive glare coming up from the shifter trim. I found it annoying but not bad enough to wrap it or cover it up.

agree. The chrome replacement is for AC vents that affect side mirrors. not the center trims.
You can remove the trim pieces and plastidip. Nothing screams upscale than plastidip.

Dumb QUESTION:

Is it possible to have the I-activsense package installed? or no?b
Thanks!
Everything is pobssible. But to install an i-ActivSense Package to a CX-5 GT with Tech Package is next to impossible because there're many sophisticated sensors which require calibration with special equipment. Not to mention it'll be very expensive for needed parts not counting the labor.

On my previous cars with sunroofs, if the sunroof was open in the tilt position, all you had to do to open it fully was to press the one touch open button and it slid fully open. Hey Mazda! Why no one touch close?

I'll admit that this is somewhat trivial but it's just another example (to me) of how Mazda doesn't sweat the details. Along with no one touch open buttons for the passenger windows and the lack of indicator lights throughout the interior along with the lack of retained accessory power. If the CX-5 GT wasn't their flagship model that would be a different story.

I have exactly the same feeling like you. This lack of some features although may be minor to some, but it's an indication of Mazda doesn't want to spend money to details. Without one-touch open/close feature, Mazda can save money by using cheaper motor mechanism without anti-pinch capability. The passenger side dash gap happened on 2017 CX-5 is another example of either poor design or cost cutting. This's penny wise pound foolish by Mazda as this definitely will hurt sales!

Mazda North American Operations are part to be blamed as some of the features you mentioned missing from US CX-5 actually are available in other regions.

The best sunroof control I've seen is the dial control on my 2001.5 VW Passat. You turn the knob to a preset position, and the sunroof will open to the degree the knob pointed or tilt open. It has no problem to switch from tilt to open position with a single knob turn.

And the inner shade doesn't open partially automatically when sunroof is tilted open is another thing should be there in our CX-5, like everybody else.

Actually, it seems to me that Mazda DOES sweat the details, just not the details you guys seem to care about. They had a certain budget for refreshing the CX-5 for 2017, and the things they spent it on were suspension, steering, tuning throttle response and transmission response, reducing NVH, body styling, interior materials, HUD, and some safety tech. All money well spent in my opinion. If they had spent money instead on rethinking how you open the sunroof, making all the window controls one touch down, and/or adding remote start to the key fob, and as a result they couldn't put the work into driving dynamics - I would call that a fail.

Actually, it seems to me that Mazda DOES sweat the details, just not the details you guys seem to care about. They had a certain budget for refreshing the CX-5 for 2017, and the things they spent it on were suspension, steering, tuning throttle response and transmission response, reducing NVH, body styling, interior materials, HUD, and some safety tech. All money well spent in my opinion. If they had spent money instead on rethinking how you open the sunroof, making all the window controls one touch down, and/or adding remote start to the key fob, and as a result they couldn't put the work into driving dynamics - I would call that a fail.

Agree, and they did add one-touch close to the sunroof, although that's not really a big deal.

Almost everybody knows Mazda CX-5 is having the best "driving dynamics" in compact CUV class since gen-1. Why do you want spend more money to improve something which is already the best?

Not just Americans, most car buyers in the world want a better buy with as many features as possible for a vehicle. Toyota RAV4、Nissan Rogue、Ford Escape、and Honda CR-V, all have decent enough "driving dynamics" for average buyers. Mazda needs to offer more and better features than competitors in the same class to grab more US market share on sales, at least on their best selling model - the CX-5. Unless Mazda doesn't want to survive, they can't afford to let their best model CX-5 staying in the bottom of the same class on sales figures.

One way to improve the sales is to offer more features to the potential customers, not the cut-down version for the top of the line like Mazda North American Operations do to US customers. Ever noticed more 2017 CX-5 owners bought a GT with Premium Package? It's a clear indication that more potential car buyers want more features even with higher price. MNAO should fully aware the Nissan Rogue, which has many deficiencies than Mazda CX-5, has been the most improved compact CUV in US market on sales. It does offer some unique features such as Around View️ Monitor、a 3rd-row seating、and TPMS with direct tire pressure display, which definitely had attracted many more buyers to make Rogue becomes the top seller in many months during the past 3 years!

"While Honda shies away from selling vehicles to fleet, Nissan sold 19 percent of its vehicles to fleet buyers in 2016, according to Automotive News, up from 15 percent one year before. While Nissans retail demand was flat in 2016, the companys fleet volume shot up 37 percent. Nissan declined to comment on the Rogues fleet/retail mix. Granted, it was always Nissans intention to boost market share by enhancing its fleet volume."
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...ng-nissan-doesnt-think-rogue-sport-will-slow/

"The 2017 Nissan Rogue ranks 10 out of 18 Compact SUVs. The 2017 Nissan Rogue is a solid, middle-of the-road vehicle. Nothing about the Rogue elevates it to the top of this fiercely competitive compact SUV class, but nothing about it is so terrible as to banish it to the bottom either. "
CRV, CX5, Tuscon, Escape, Equinox, Terrain, Sportage, Forester, Tiguan, Rogue, RAV4, Cherokee, Compass, Wrangler, Outlander, Patriot
https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/nissan/rogue

So the Rogue ranks ahead of the '17 RAV4, and Jeep and Mitsubishi products.

I read the post without knowing who wrote it. By the time I got to the end, there was no doubt it was Yrwei. Dude, you are hyper critical of Mazda. You need to buy something else.

Almost everybody knows Mazda CX-5 is having the best "driving dynamics" in compact CUV class since gen-1. Why do you want spend more money to improve something which is already the best?

Not just Americans, most car buyers in the world want a better buy with as many features as possible for a vehicle. Toyota RAV4、Nissan Rogue、Ford Escape、and Honda CR-V, all have decent enough "driving dynamics" for average buyers. Mazda needs to offer more and better features than competitors in the same class to grab more US market share on sales, at least on their best selling model - the CX-5. Unless Mazda doesn't want to survive, they can't afford to let their best model CX-5 staying in the bottom of the same class on sales figures.

One way to improve the sales is to offer more features to the potential customers, not the cut-down version for the top of the line like Mazda North American Operations do to US customers. Ever noticed more 2017 CX-5 owners bought a GT with Premium Package? It's a clear indication that more potential car buyers want more features even with higher price. MNAO should fully aware the Nissan Rogue, which has many deficiencies than Mazda CX-5, has been the most improved compact CUV in US market on sales. It does offer some unique features such as Around View️ Monitor、a 3rd-row seating、and TPMS with direct tire pressure display, which definitely had attracted many more buyers to make Rogue becomes the top seller in many months during the past 3 years!

Thank goodness the CX-5 is not like the Rogue. This segment is full of boring boxes on wheels, we don't need another one. I think if Mazda tried to turn the CX-5 into another Rogue, it would sell worse rather than better, because they could never compete with Nissan on price.

The Rogue has always sold well because it offers decent, near class leading space and you can walk out the door with a reasonably well-equipped Rogue for less money than most of its competitors. The 2017.5 model is hot thanks to cargo space versatility and a refreshed interior and exterior that doesn't look ugly anymore.

Regarding Mazda's work on driving dynamics, that's their bag. They're playing to their strengths, while trying to addresses weaknesses and keep up with technology. According to Mazda, the feedback from owners and potential customers was that they needed to work on cabin noise and suspension compliance, which they did. They also have to keep up with driver aids and safety technology, because there is a strong demand for this in every segment. These are quickly going to become ubiquitous. Regarding features, you now have a windshield projected HUD. That one feature is probably responsible for the vast majority of sales of the Premium package. If they had offered lighted one-touch up/down window controls or a rotary sunroof control, we would all be yawning and most prospective buyers wouldn't notice. If they put remote start on the key fob, that might score a few more sales. But the HUD is the kind of feature that some buyers will just have to have after a test drive.

Back