2016 Mazda CX-5 - What do you not like?

I'm not trying to talk you out of leaving Mazda. Just that any modern CUV would have probably taken very similar damage. They're designed to sacrifice themselves for you. I hear old people whining that cars are junk today. "In my day, cars were tanks...." yea...and people died more....

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

All good thanks

I dont think my next car will be Mazda .. can you imagine reading 30.8 mpg on dash and when you actually fuel up it comes to 31.5 mpg? 299 miles driven while drinking 9.488 gallons.
If you cant design the mpg gauge properly - what kind of car company you are? Totally crap.

I dont think my next car will be Mazda .. can you imagine reading 30.8 mpg on dash and when you actually fuel up it comes to 31.5 mpg? 299 miles driven while drinking 9.488 gallons.
If you cant design the mpg gauge properly - what kind of car company you are? Totally crap.

Wow, that's bad. You should get rid of that Mazda right away.

Umm not sure how to think about this response lol I hate to break it to you, but all cars mpg estimate the same way and are all off to some degree. I'm sure they all use similar formulas as well. I'd rather the car be calculating under than over. My previous Elantra would always over calculate by 2-3mpg.

Umm not sure how to think about this response lol I hate to break it to you, but all cars mpg estimate the same way and are all off to some degree. I'm sure they all use similar formulas as well. I'd rather the car be calculating under than over. My previous Elantra would always over calculate by 2-3mpg.

Was kidding man. Who would rant if their CUV did 30 in mixed!

Dump it. The gas mileage is terrible above 41 MPH.

Its good in that range - It becomes bad above 65 is what i will say. I had some terrible gridlocks and short runs otherwise real world would have hit 34.

I was pretty blown away with the 30 I got today in stop n go. POS...

Sent from my LG V10

Depends what gear your in. If you're in 4th gear going 41mph you might as well get up to 48mph or so in 5th 6th gear and get better mpgs at it.

I do agree the mpgs past 70mph on a CX-5 does dip. Primarily due to its tall stance. Perhaps that's why the 2017's are lower.

I think he was adding a bit of sarcasm and humor to these boards...

Depends what gear your in. If you're in 4th gear going 41mph you might as well get up to 48mph or so in 5th 6th gear and get better mpgs at it.

I do agree the mpgs past 70mph on a CX-5 does dip. Primarily due to its tall stance. Perhaps that's why the 2017's are lower.

I was also trying to bring a little humor to this thread but clearly something was lost in translation! :)

I just picked up a 2016.5 CX-5 AWD Touring, in white! Overall I love the vehicle, but since its being asked:

1. The front headrests are terrible! They are too far forward, and too hard. They act more as a spring board for my head if I try to lay it on the headrest.

2. The ride is pretty stiff. Over a smooth road it feels great, any bumps and you feel all of them.

3. No vents for the back seats. In other vehicles they are usually on the backside of the center console.

4. I wish the Touring model came standard with the 19" rims!

Several people say the ride is stiff. I think just the opposite. If people think this is stiff, I'm even more glad I got it compared to every other car I test drove which were not as "stiff".

Last edited:
I just picked up a 2016.5 CX-5 AWD Touring, in white! Overall I love the vehicle, but since its being asked:

1. The front headrests are terrible! They are too far forward, and too hard. They act more as a spring board for my head if I try to lay it on the headrest.

2. The ride is pretty stiff. Over a smooth road it feels great, any bumps and you feel all of them.

3. No vents for the back seats. In other vehicles they are usually on the backside of the center console.

4. I wish the Touring model came standard with the 19" rims!
Your #2 and #4 are in catch-22 situation. 19" tires would give you even stiffer ride! You should check the tire pressure making sure they're within 34~36 psi cold. And get softer tires such as General AltiMAX RT43 225/65R17 102H when it's time to replace firmer OE Yokohama Geolandar G91A truck tires. CX-5 features stiff ride for better handling and if you didn't catch that during the test drive, there's not much you can do to change characteristic of a vehicle.

#1 is a major complaint for many CX-5 owners and it took us (my wife and me) a while trying to get used to it. But since we have other cars having more relaxed headrest angle which keeps reminding us how far forward the front headrests are in our CX-5!

#3 is a major complaint too but Mazda will have rear AC vents in its 2nd-gen 2017 CX-5.

Several people say the ride is stiff. I think just the opposite. If people think this is stiff, I'm even more glad I got it compared to every other car I test drove which were not as "stiff".
Have you test-driven Honda CR-V、Toyota RAV4、and Nissan Rogue - the top 3 selling compact CUVs in the US? All of them offer softer and smoother ride than CX-5; and that's why their handling are not as good as CX-5!

I was also trying to bring a little humor to this thread but clearly something was lost in translation! :)

Around these parts humor is like a fresh roll of toilet paper in the middle of the woods. Its serious business:)

It took 900 miles for my new CX-5's ride to loosen up over sharp bumps at lower speeds. It's been a very big change...

Overall love my CX-5, but definitely have a couple of gripes.

I've tried lots of different wiper blades, run the windshield defroster and it doesn't matter. Snow still has a tendency to ice up and bunch up on the blades and then they are of course less effective at wiping.

On that same winter note, the rear backup camera gets so incredibly dirty. It's annoying having to go back and clean it all the time, otherwise it's useless. I wish they had some sort of solution in place to clean it (wiper or something?).

Too much plastic in the interior.

I don't have too many issues with the seats like people have mentioned, except on long road trips, the seats can get a bit uncomfortable. But day to day, I like them just fine.

As for the ride, you're supposed to feel the road. For me, that was a selling point and I love it. Sure the Honda and Toyota were smooth to drive, but they were also boring as hell. The Mazda takes corners so well, and feeling the road is great. I love driving around in the mountains with it on the curvy roads.

Last edited:
Overall love my CX-5, but definitely have a couple of gripes.

I've tried lots of different wiper blades, run the windshield defroster and it doesn't matter. Snow still has a tendency to ice up and bunch up on the blades and then they are of course less effective at wiping.

On that same winter note, the rear backup camera gets so incredibly dirty. It's annoying having to go back and clean it all the time, otherwise it's useless. I wish they had some sort of solution in place to clean it (wiper or something?).

Too much plastic in the interior.

I don't have too many issues with the seats like people have mentioned, except on long road trips, the seats can get a bit uncomfortable. But day to day, I like them just fine.

As for the ride, you're supposed to feel the road. For me, that was a selling point and I love it. Sure the Honda and Toyota were smooth to drive, but they were also boring as hell. The Mazda takes corners so well, and feeling the road is great. I love driving around in the mountains with it on the curvy roads.

You're right about the back-up cams lens. I've gotten into the habit of giving it a wipe with my finger as I walk around the car in the mornings.

Latest posts

Back