2016 Mazda CX-5 - What do you not like?

bagelboy1

:
Mazda CX-5
The head rest in the 2016 Mazda CX-5 is much harder than in the 2015. I kept messing with it when I test drove the 2016. I jumped in the 2015 right after and sure enough the head rest is much softer than in the 2015.

Anybody else notice this? This would have to done for safety reasons right? The only other thing I could think of is Mazda cut a corner by installing cheaper head rests, but that does not make sense.

I am almost certain that I can swap out the head rest but it seems silly to me to do that for a new, lol.

I don't understand why you still have to guess which tire is at fault when the TPMS warning light comes on. I also find LDWS to be a little useless so far.

The headrests don't bug me.

- Window and door switches still don't have total proper lighting.
- Rear passenger door trims are still hard plastics.
- Still waiting on the diesel variant to arrive in the Americas.

IMO I think that it is silly that the car does not come standard with heated seats.

Also the other things that are listed here are just little annoying things. You would rather be able to pick out the annoying unlighted window switches for passengers than be able to pick out an overly stiff or soft suspension... or crappy tranny etc.. I think if you are in any vehicle for a significant amount of time then you will find things that the company overlooked or things that could be done better. Remember the CX-5 ranges $22K-$32k... This is not a high end luxury vehicle.

I was between the CX-5 and a Crosstrek. The Crosstrek does come standard with heated seats and the newer model also received an updated dash/center stack. The Crosstrek also comes standard with a great AWD system. The Crosstrek also stands with 8.7 inches of ground clearance. BUT I would be unhappy with the underpowered 2.0 engine which only comes with a CVT. So the Subie was out for me... Just pointing out how IMO there will never be a perfect car where everything makes sense.

No power or torque increases on the diesel, tiguan and Kuga now have more power.

reasons I would not trade mine for a 2016:
Otherwise its a great update, just not enough to make me want to trade my 2014 for it.

-not completely sold on the new grill/fog lamps style
-still behind some competitors in terms of engine power output (lacking a diesel or turbo variant)
-still no cooling leather seats or rear heated seats
-still no paddle shifting
-still no rear center console vents (mazda 6 has them)
-still no heated steering wheel
-no rear view camera washing nozzle (gets so dirty in winter that it becomes useless without constantly going back to clean it)

I agree with Conn. There are little annoying things with every car. But dang, I'm happy going to the more horsepower alone. :)

Well, I went ahead and took the plunge and got the 2016 GT without the Nav and Tech Package. $29.2K, which was the True Car Price. I got the white exterior with the black interior. Sucker is gonna get hot during the summer but oh well :)

There isn't much - but one gripe I have is the huge plastic fog light bezel for the quarter-sized fog light. They should have re-defined that area more to make the small fog light pop out better.

adgjqetuo, I hope you don't mind me asking. I'm in the lower NY area and am looking for blue reflex mica GT with tech and iactivesense pkg. Which dealer did you purchase from and did you pay below sticker price?

Mazda Connect customer service. I've sent three contact questions in the last week and a half and have received no response even though their website states you'll get a response within one business day. Boo.

I don't want to release the dealer name because they asked me not to openly advertise the price they gave me. Since I already posted about the price on another thread I'd like to leave their name out.

My MSRP was a little over 34k and I paid $32,475 before tax and tags.

Tech, iActive, roof rails, door plates, rear bumper guard, all weather mats, cargo tray and wheel locks.

I don't want to release the dealer name because they asked me not to openly advertise the price they gave me. Since I already posted about the price on another thread I'd like to leave their name out.

Tech, iActive, roof rails, door plates, rear bumper guard, all weather mats, cargo tray and wheel locks.

Thanks for the response. I remember that other post. I didn't realize that you were the same person who made that post.

I don't understand the secrecy. 1.5K under MSRP isn't exactly a mind blowing deal... i think the dealer was working you to make it seem like you were getting away with something.

I don't understand the secrecy. 1.5K under MSRP isn't exactly a mind blowing deal... i think the dealer was working you to make it seem like you were getting away with something.

In my area I think it is - I didn't qualify for any incentives. I went to 4 other dealers and not a single one would budge from MSRP. One offered $300 off MSRP but that was the max I found. So finding a dealer willing to take $1600 off was pretty good compared to the other 4.

I guess you are right though - it's kind of stupid - I already signed on my deal and they are an hour away so I won't be there for service.

Last edited:
In my area I think it is - I didn't qualify for any incentives. I went to 4 other dealers and not a single one would budge from MSRP. One offered $300 off MSRP but that was the max I found. So finding a dealer willing to take $1600 off was pretty good compared to the other 4.

I guess you are right though - it's kind of stupid - I already signed on my deal and they are an hour away so I won't be there for service.

Now that's more believable.

Think I found something else - my wife drove home in a frozen-mix storm today and said most of the way back the screen kept on and off displaying that the I-Active radar sensor couldn't read properly.

Looks like they should have included a small defroster element to keep the ice away from the radar sensor.

She said the warning displayed for the windshield laser too, but stayed off once the front defroster kicked in and it was fine the rest of the way back unlike the radar one inside the front logo.

It also looks like the LED lights don't get hot enough to melt ice off the headlights either.

Attachments

• IMG_7536.JPG
    IMG_7536.JPG
    297.6 KB · Views: 952
  • IMG_7534.JPG
    IMG_7534.JPG
    253.3 KB · Views: 896
Last edited:
That is how system in my Infiniti works. It will deactivate if radar sensor is covered by debris or snow.

Back