2013-2015 CX-9 Overall Length with Liftgate Open?

10ac

:
Hyundai Sonata
Hello all.
I am very close to purchasing a 2013 CX-9, and when I started thinking about the day-to-day use of the vehicle, I realized that I park my vehicle in my garage, close the garage door, and load/unload gear and/or groceries.

I quickly found online that the overall length of the CX-9 is roughly 200 inches, so I measured that out in my garage, a little snug, but it will fit. Then I realized that opening that rear liftgate in the garage might be a challenge, or impossible.

With that said, does anyone know the exact overall length of a 2013-2015 CX-9 with the rear liftgate open?

Thanks!

I've never measured, but your inquiry should not be limited to '13-'15; there should not be a measureable difference over the entire life of the CX-9; '13 changes were mostly cosmetic.

I'm guessing you're not taking into account having to get your body between the rear bumper and the garage door. I'm sure the gate adds about a foot when it swings up. Maybe just don't close the garage door when unloading and close it when you're done...problem solved.

Ahh, only a foot or so, that would work. I have a good 30 inches or so from the rear of the vehicle to the wall, I guess I was imagining it opening like a minivan.

30 in. LOL that's not snug! I have about 8 in between my garage door and the end of the car.

Ahh, only a foot or so, that would work. I have a good 30 inches or so from the rear of the vehicle to the wall, I guess I was imagining it opening like a minivan.

Nope not nearly as large as a mini-van. Fun anecdote, the liftgate on my old 6 wagon actually lifted higher than the one on the CX-9 (even factoring in the higher stance of the 9!) My head brushes agains the 9's liftgate edge much more often than my old 6...

Off topic: More proof the station wagon is really back, but american buyers don't want to admit it :) If someone had a FWD CX-9 and slammed it, that would look mighty nice, I think.

It really doesn't add a lot of length. It's hard to measure but it's probably a little more than a foot. As for the above comment about no difference between model years, there actually is a slight difference but less than an inch. I think the current design is the longest. I bet all the added length is in the front bumper design but that could impact the fit in the garage if you're cutting it this close. Also, the hatch doesn't open very high. I still bang my head every once in a while even after 5+ years so if you're right up against your garage door, you're really not going to have much room to operate.

Back