Anybody with coilovers? Looking for feedback

:
CX-5
I'm currently lowered on H&R springs. Love the drop but starting to get annoyed with the little bounces. So I'm contemplating on getting coilovers. Looking for any feedback from anybody that has them installed.

Kinda in the same boat as OP... I'd be curious about the Teins fitted to the 2.5L on the NA chassis. Sub'd :)

forgive me for my n00b question as i am new to the CX5 :)

im also looking to buy coilovers - im seeing a lot of talk with camber bolts.. are these necessary for coilover install or are they essentially for correcting camber beyond the natural camber you get from lowering?

thanks in advance!

Being a n00b is totally ok with me. ;)

Camber bolts are used to correct camber depending on how low you go with the coils. The lower you go the more camber is likely to occur. Some coilovers actually come with camber adjustments already build in, which is always nice. I'm not 100% sure if the Tein or BC Racing ones included camber adjustments but i can find out if you'd like.

forgive me for my n00b question as i am new to the CX5 :)

im also looking to buy coilovers - im seeing a lot of talk with camber bolts.. are these necessary for coilover install or are they essentially for correcting camber beyond the natural camber you get from lowering?

thanks in advance!

Thanks for that thread Chris. It was a lot info. He mention it rode like H&R. I think I'm leaning towards the BC racing cause you can adjust the height without putting more pre load on the springs vs the teins. Overall, I'm trying to get a factory ride with the looks of the H&Rs.

RuckinWestwood, I'd be interested in what you end up with. Might even see if we can meet up an check out your CX-5 since I'm in the area. :) Really wished there were more suspension options from makers like Bilstein or Koni (paired with H&R), but since it's not a sports car, our CX-5's don't get much love :(

Last edited:
Will keep you posted D_Frost. Btw, I have a brand new set of H&R springs if your interested. I also have access to a garage facility with a lift.

FONTMOTORSPORTS
I can get you guys Tein or BC Racing coilovers if anyone is interested. Just send me a PM with your Zip Code.

Are you able to get tein coilovers with EDFC (electronic dampening force control). I am looking to buy within the next 15-30 days

I'm currently lowered on H&R springs. Love the drop but starting to get annoyed with the little bounces. So I'm contemplating on getting coilovers. Looking for any feedback from anybody that has them installed.

I thought ALL CX-5's were equipped with coilovers from the factory. And I was not aware that H&R offered a non-coilover conversion. So I'm confused when you say you are contemplating getting coilovers.(uhm)

I thought ALL CX-5's were equipped with coilovers from the factory. And I was not aware that H&R offered a non-coilover conversion. So I'm confused when you say you are contemplating getting coilovers.(uhm)
The factory suspension consist of shocks and springs. They are not adjustable. H&R springs lower the front by 1.25" and the rears 1.75".

I thought that's what "coilovers" were. Shocks inside springs.
The terminology is a bit misleading. The front suspension of a CX-5 is actually a coilover setup (while the rear is separate spring and shock). Aftermarket "coilovers" have ride height adjustability that is missing in the factory setup. However, I suspect you already know that Mike and this is just another example of you "pulling the forum's chain".

The terminology is a bit misleading. The front suspension of a CX-5 is actually a coilover setup (while the rear is separate spring and shock). Aftermarket "coilovers" have ride height adjustability that is missing in the factory setup. However, I suspect you already know that Mike and this is just another example of you "pulling the forum's chain".

Maybe it's a generational gap but I found his question confusing:

"I'm currently lowered on H&R springs. Love the drop but starting to get annoyed with the little bounces. So I'm contemplating on getting coilovers. Looking for any feedback from anybody that has them installed."

I'm not clear on whether the H&R's are adjustable or not but if the question is about adjustable coilovers as opposed to the OEM and H&R non-adjustable ones, why not just say so instead of making us guess what "them" refers to.

Not trying to yank anyone's chain.

Maybe it's a generational gap but I found his question confusing:

"I'm currently lowered on H&R springs. Love the drop but starting to get annoyed with the little bounces. So I'm contemplating on getting coilovers. Looking for any feedback from anybody that has them installed."

I'm not clear on whether the H&R's are adjustable or not but if the question is about adjustable coilovers as opposed to the OEM and H&R non-adjustable ones, why not just say so instead of making us guess what "them" refers to.

Not trying to yank anyone's chain.
I suspect you and I are of the same generation Mike and I'm pretty clear on what he's asking. H&Rs are simply a shorter, stouter version of the OE coils and, as such, stiffen the ride a bit while offering no adjustability in terms of ride height (fixed) or camber. After market coil overs have adjustable ride height (by was of a threaded collar at the base of the coil) and afford some adjustment for camber as well (although I'm not clear how they do the latter). I assume OP is looking for feedback on ride quality with coil overs.

Most of the lowered CX5's are done, by replacing the existing spring with a shorter one. Some are using the 1.5" shorter H&R and some the Corcksport, 3-1/4" shorter springs.
An aftermarket coil-over it's much better, but it's much more expensive as well.

Thanks for that thread Chris. It was a lot info. He mention it rode like H&R. I think I'm leaning towards the BC racing cause you can adjust the height without putting more pre load on the springs vs the teins. Overall, I'm trying to get a factory ride with the looks of the H&Rs.
I'm not sure I understand how the BC lowers vs the Tein when you say the BC's don't add preload. I'm guessing you mean with the teins the spring compresses to lower, but then I'm unsure what the BC method is. I couldn't tell by looking at a picture.
I have looked at these K sports in the past; I didn't notice the tein don't come with pillow balls, these do.. that means easy camber adjustment. I'm looking to buy as early as next week so these are on my radar now.
http://www.ksportsuperstore.com/ksp...-coilover-kit-mazda-cx-5-2013-2014-cmz300-kp/
kontrol-pro-06__55874.1402347874.1280.1280.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Chris. I can get you the Ksport's for cheaper than that price for sure. Let me know if you want a quote for them as well.

I'm not sure I understand how the BC lowers vs the Tein when you say the BC's don't add preload. I'm guessing you mean with the teins the spring compresses to lower, but then I'm unsure what the BC method is. I couldn't tell by looking at a picture.
I have looked at these K sports in the past; I didn't notice the tein don't come with pillow balls, these do.. that means easy camber adjustment. I'm looking to buy as early as next week so these are on my radar now.
http://www.ksportsuperstore.com/ksp...-coilover-kit-mazda-cx-5-2013-2014-cmz300-kp/
kontrol-pro-06__55874.1402347874.1280.1280.jpg

H&Rs are simply a shorter, stouter version of the OE coils and, as such, stiffen the ride a bit while offering no adjustability in terms of ride height (fixed) or camber. After market coil overs have adjustable ride height (by was of a threaded collar at the base of the coil) and afford some adjustment for camber as well (although I'm not clear how they do the latter).I assume OP is looking for feedback on ride quality with coil overs.

OK. I get it. The OP has been riding on coilovers with aftermarket springs. Now he wants to switch either to OEM CX-5 coilovers or another aftermarket coilover setup and wants feedback on these options.

I can only speak to the Mazda coilovers. They have a firm but forgiving ride, not harsh but not too cushy. Even with the vehicle loaded to it's maximum rated weight they have a very composed ride. I only have 22,000 on mine so I can't say how long the dampers last but they have not degraded much from new. So far I think they've been doing a superb job.

Back