Lewis7789's 1993 Mazda MX-6 build thread

Don't blow yourself up if your painting in the basement you probably have pilots on your HWT and furnace.

Yikes. Good call, Marc. Thanks for looking out, buddy. ;)

lol, Sho! I'm running low on my supply, brotha.

Got some tires for the MX6. 235/45-17 Hankook Ventus V12 Evo2.

Finally pulled the old motor and trans Saturday. Then degreased the bay and cleaned it up. Separating the trans this week and prepping it for paint (black, of course).

I'm missing some VRIS solenoids and an actuator for the ZE intake mani so a buddy in Canada said he has three ZE IM's and offered to strip one of the bits I need so that would be a HUGE help. Once I get the VRIS all sorted I'll be able to drop the new motor in. Should be able to paint the valve covers and IM this week since it will be warm enough.

Also noticed when pulling the axles the pass front brake line had a small crack in it. So might as well replace all of them with Techna-fit SS lines, Hawk HPS pads from CR3 Motorsports, right? Right. And new Centric rotors coming from RockAuto.com.

Welcome to the Blue Belt club! Did you get all belts, or just the timing belt? I did all three on my 626 when i slapped a water pump, and timing tensioner and pulleys on last year.

What?! Gates makes ALL blue belts!? Damn it! Haha. I put the timing covers back on so no one will ever know anyway. The blue accessory belts would mess with my OCD and color scheme of black, black, a little more black, some wrinkle red, black and gunmetal. And black.

Yup. They actually have had the accessory belts available for a few years. The timing belt was the last one released. I got the accessory belts off Ebay as they were even cheaper then RockAuto.

Got some work done this weekend.

Painted the valve covers and intake mani Thursday night and was tripping balls from the fumes in the house. Not my best work but they turned out okay.

Replaced the heater hoses and rear motor mount. SOOO much easier with the motor out. haha

Also got the trans cleaned up and replaced both axle seals and clutch slave cylinder. Installed the Fidanza flywheels and Exedy OE clutch. Big thanks to beefcake Fez for helping me reinstall the trans to the new motor.

Hopefully I'll have the new motor in the bay this weekend. Waiting on injector seals I forgot to order from Mazdaspeed. Dropping off the rear header to have the EGR pipe hole welded over. Hopefully my buddy can source the KLZE VRIS acrtuator and solenoids from Canada for me. Otherwise I may just ziptie them open for the time being so I can get the car running.

I got a lot more done but can't remember since I don't really stop to take pics.

Red valve covers? Silver intake mani? What happened to the black on black covered in black and wrapped in black theme?

Got some more work done. Got the motor in and all bolted up. It's tough lining up motor mounts by yourself, haha. Also got the axles back in. I was hoping to get more done this weekend but it was cold and I was not feeling so hot. Should be a productive week though with warmer temps.

Yay eBay headers fitment... The rear O2 sensor is resting on the steering rack. Gonna be a b**** to replace when it goes bad. But I'll worry about that later.

Where did you get the motor from? About to start working on my project Mx-3 and was trying to source out a motor for it. Glad to see another mx project going.

Where did you get the motor from? About to start working on my project Mx-3 and was trying to source out a motor for it. Glad to see another mx project going.

JDMEngineZone.com out on NJ. I've ordered two curve-neck KL's from them before as well and they've all arrived super clean and very low miles. I would highly recommend them.

winter beater is looking good buddy!

Thanks, Marc!

Coming along slowly but surely. Got the GReddy SP2 cat back and cat all mocked up and ready to tighten down but my arms gave out. Those flipping CorkSport poly exhaust hangers are a b****! haha

Installed the new OE replacement radiator and new hoses. Removed the A/C fan since I removed the A/C.

Installed the new OE fuel filter and used the braided lines I've had sitting on the shelf for about 2 years.

Installed the intake mani, ran the fuel lines, throttle cable, brake booster line, wiring, and spark plug wires. I highly recommend the Gunk brand engine degreaser, it cleans parts and leaves a nice waxy, shiny surface.

I don't think I posted a pic of the wheels Nate bought that he sold to Corey who sold to me. haha. Team Dynamics from the UK sized 17x8 +48.

Back