Lewis7789's 1993 Mazda MX-6 build thread

so what's going on the wheels a nice set of Hoosiers?
Motor looks great btw

Haha, no Hoosiers. I got some Hankook Ventus V12 Evo 2 (320 tread wear) summer tires sized 235/45-17. Nothing crazy.

Thanks again for the great deal on it, buddy! I'll get a pic when it's all buttoned up and off jack stands. The tip is huge. (twss)

So close! I just need to pick up an oil filter and a good air filter from Summit and I'll attempt to fire her up this weekend. Fingers crossed...

The eBay air intake is designed for the USDM intake mani which is shorter so I had to mess with the couplers to get that angle. It isn't pretty but it's sealed and secure.

It's ALLLLIIIIIIVE!
(photobucket isn't playing nice, just a quick video of idle)

I primed the fuel pump a couple times then after a few cranks it fired up. But I was having a weird electrical surging and some whining from the alternator. I lent a friend my multimeter so I couldn't check it. But I bought a new alternator and all is well. But I was having a rough idle and it wouldn't rev past 2k rpm. I was looking around in the bay and sure enough forgot to hook up the VAF. Doh! Purrs like a kitten now.

Big thanks to Fez for helping me bleed the brakes and put the hood back on Sunday.

Drove it around the block a couple times and all seems well. I gotta swap out these terrible eBay headlights for the OE units I got. But first off to the BMV for title transfers, tags and e-check. No CEL ftw!

Last edited:
Nice job Evan!
I got my rx7s up and running as well this weekend

Nice job Evan!
I got my rx7s up and running as well this weekend

I took my RX7 out last weekend now that the weather has finally allowed it. Was there an issue with yours that it wasn't running? If so I'm glad to hear it is. Broke out the steelies with Hoosier slicks for autoX season, and replaced my shift knob and boot, as well as the interior door handles and cups. Working on getting a weber side draft set up.

Busy weekend for me and the MX-6.

First was an oil change with fresh Penzoil Platinum and a K&N oil filter.

Then I swapped the suspension. I bought some Tokico Illumina's from a friend and paired them with some new Megan Racing lowering springs from eBay. I painted the struts because they were rusty and dirty. I also painted the calipers.

One of the rear struts needs a washer for the top hat nut as it is clunking. But I'll bang that out this weekend. And I believe the 626 struts may be taller than the MX6 struts so the rear is sitting a little higher than the front. Which really bugs me. So I might buy new rear struts. But moving on...

Removed the puny 12mm rear sway bar for a 16mm 626 sway bar.

Replaced the hideous eBay headlights that came with the car with OE pieces I bought from a very cool fellow in Canada.

The OE headlights and corner lights look SO much better.

Bought back my old Evo 8 Recaros from a friend but they were way too tall. My head was touching the ceiling and no way I could fit with a helmet so he's taking them back and I put the stock seats back in.

Before;

After;

And HUGE thanks to Pablo for coming over with his timing light and adjusting my timing for me. Turns out the motor was running retarded (I love saying that...) so he timed it and we rotated the disty to 14 degrees positive and the motor runs much smoother and a better idle.

Took it to Lakeland for the auto-x shakedown to test everything out in a safe environment and went pretty well. My first run was slow as balls because I nearly ran out of fuel. lol! I knew I was low but the fuel light just came on. Apparently that's enough to slosh to one side a starve the fuel pump. Ran to the gas station and was back before the second run. Best time was a 51.08 in SMF and I'm looking forward to seeing how it stacked up to the other car(s) in my class. But the car rotates nicely with the suspension and sway bar. Motor pulls well though it takes some careful throttle input to not light up the front tire without an LSD and about 170hp. But I was getting the hang of it and it handled pretty well.

Replaced the rear deck speakers with some Pioneers from Corey. The stock speaker cones were completely blown out on both speakers. No wonder they sounded so bad. Much better now with the Pioneer head unit Fez sold me and the Rockford Fosgate front speakers Pablo sold me. Stereo actually sounds pretty good now.

Back