Lewis7789's 1993 Mazda MX-6 build thread

Lewis7789

Evan aka "Lady Hands"
Contributor
:
1995 MX-5, 2006 MZ5, 2001 Yamaha R1
Hey guys, figured I'd make yet another build thread for a car I said I wasn't going to mod...

I picked up a 1993 MX-6 LS a friend found on Craigslist for $500. It had some front end damage and leaking oil pretty badly. My one friend drove an hour to check it out and test drive it, then brought it back to MD from VA with him. Then another friend and I drove out to MD from OH to pick it up with his truck and trailer. I can't thank Jose and Will enough for their help!!!

Of all the weekends I had to pick one with freezing rain to go pick up the car...

Here she is the day we picked her up in MD;

You can see the light damage to the drivers side headlight area and the hood wouldn't latch completely.

All washed and put in the garage;

After struggling with trying to figure out where the oil leak was coming from (after a valve cover and front main seal replacement) found the front cam cap was scored really badly. So decided to pull the tired 168k mile KLDE and swap it with a JDM KLZE.

KLDE getting ready to be pulled;

How she sits in the garage as of 02/12/15;

Plans and goals:
A reliable DD that's still fun to drive.

Mods list;

Engine;
- JDM KLZE
- Xtremethings chipped ECU
- Exedy OE clutch
- Fidanza lightweight flywheel
- AWR front/rear motor mounts (filled trans mount)
- AutoTechnica ss clutch line
- Speed Daddy (ebay) headers
- eBay test pipe
- GReddy SP2 cat back exhaust
- eBay short air intake w/ K&N filter
- eBay poly shifter bushings
- MX6 forum bronze shifter bushings
- new OE radiator
- new OE hoses, gaskets and hardware all up hurr.

Suspension/brakes/wheels;
- Team Dynamics 17x8 +48 wheels (w/ 5mm spacers. So +43 in pics)
- Hankook Ventus V12 235/45-17 tires
- Hawk HPS pads all around
- Centric blank rotors
- Techna-fit SS brake lines
- DOT4 brake fluid
- Tokico Illumina struts
- Megan Racing lowering springs
- Mazda 626 (16mm) rear sway bar

Exterior;
- black paint and such

Interior;
- Pioneer headunit
- Rockford Fosgate 6x8 front speakers
- Pioneer 6x8 rear deck speakers

Last edited:
Progress pics:
04/05/15 - KLZE installed and running

New suspension, wheels and rear sway bar installed and tested (auto-x) 04/26/2015

Last edited:
WTF mate?! You're worse than I am at leaving things alone!

With that out of the way, I approve this build. Should be fun!

We all knew it was only a matter of time. ;)

Have fun with the build and you've got to love a "reliable dd with 17x8 wheels". :D

Haha, yeah... I just can't leave anything stock... Nice to have another project to work on. :)

I'm excited for the wheels. Still think they're sexy.

They are very sexy wheels indeed, Nate. You have good taste. I should be picking them up from the machine shop this week.

Got the KLZE home from work and on the engine stand. Everything looks good and is very clean so I'm quite pleased.

It's missing one VRIS actuator and solenoid for the IM but I'll steal one from the DE IM and swap it over. I was planning on doing some painting this weekend on the motor but it was just too bloody cold at around 1 degree.

Planning on painting the valve covers wrinkle red and the IM gunmetal.

Nate. You have good taste.

I'm keeping this quote forever and applying to anything, including my music choices! If Corey ever has the Silver MSP in the same place, I will swap one wheel just to see it, and cry a little bit. I don't care you guys judge me.

This might become the nicest $500 mx-6 ever. Have you keprt track of your spending? Might be able to compete in The Grassroots Motorsports $2015 challange

Honestly, I don't want to keep track of my spending on this $500 car. I'm sure it's already past $2015... haha

I tallied up the total spent on the MS6 and was depressed for two weeks. haha

But I figure, screw it. I like having a project car to work on and tinker with. It will be nearly as fun to drive as Fatty for my DD when I'm not riding the motorbike, I've got the money for it, no wife/kids so why not? The garage is jam packed with toys though...

I've always liked MX6's but they are kinda rare now-a-days, especially rust free ones. So this is a very exciting project for me.

More power to you Evan! Love my kids to death and wouldn't change a thing but they are little money leeches. haha

I don't see too many MX-6s on the road these days, see an MX-3 from time to time around town. Both are def. eye catchers and yours will be more so once the modding is done...well in process because we all know the project is never done. ;)

Now please stop emailing me s*** about Oprah! :p

New track car? A lot of mods for a DD.

Negative. The MS6 will stay the track car since it's pretty much built (other than a passenger seat and harness which are coming in the spring). I like modding.

More power to you Evan! Love my kids to death and wouldn't change a thing but they are little money leeches. haha

I don't see too many MX-6s on the road these days, see an MX-3 from time to time around town. Both are def. eye catchers and yours will be more so once the modding is done...well in process because we all know the project is never done. ;)

Now please stop emailing me s*** about Oprah! :p

Jeff, I didn't mean to sound like I was bashing you guys with a wife/kids at all. I've been told having children is the best thing in the world and more power to you guys. :)

You really do need to check that spam email with the Oprah link apparently I keep sending my friends. Here, I'll send it again in case you deleted it. ;)

On topic, it's looking like Christmas around here...

Jeff, I didn't mean to sound like I was bashing you guys with a wife/kids at all. I've been told having children is the best thing in the world and more power to you guys. :)

While short-term it takes away from mod money and mod time, in the long term I will have someone to get the correct size wrench after I crawl under the car with the wrong size.

Of course there will also be the day when the wife and I are out of town and they "borrow" the car after being told NO! and DON'T TOUCH IT! a billion times. I've seen Ferris Bueler's Day Off and Riskey Bussiness enough to know it's gonna happen. Honestly I'd put my money on Kennedy right now.

Yay for Goodies! Which one do you think you'll have for the Spring Meet if you're able to make it?

Evan, no offense was taken. If I was single, I'd have a lot of nice toys out in the garage too. I was just saying that if given the choice I wouldn't change my scenario. And it is one of the most rewarding things but also the toughest job ever. Thanks for re-sending the email, I'm at work now so will gladly open it. hahaha

LOL Nate. That's why you take all of the car keys out of town with you. ;)

Can't see the pics of Christmas in February but I'm sure it is some good stuff.

Subbing to see how modded this car becomes ;)

It's going to be a slight modded daily....with a cage, catless exhaust, racing seats, coil-overs etc.

Little update, got the old motor ready to get pulled and the new motor buttoned up with a new TB tensioner, belts and a Gates RACING timing belt. I just liked the color, which will be completely covered up by the timing covers... :(

Going to try to paint the valve covers and IM this week and get high as **** in my house from the fumes.

Last edited:
Back