'14 '15 cx-5 handling/ride difference fwd/awd?

rwbadley

:
none
Hi all, my first post here, thank you for your help so far.

My dealer has in stock 2015 and 2016 CX5's. Of course now they have good deals on the 2015's, but due to your help from this forum, I am quite tempted to go for the 2016 even if it costs a little bit more money. My question is about the driving dynamics between the all-wheel-drive and front wheel drive version. I don't necessarily need all-wheel-drive, although we do get some snow here in the last 30 years I have never really needed it.

Knowing the front wheel drive it has higher miles per gallon is merely a fine point, I have drove two CX 5 so far both 2015's. They were both all-wheel-drive, and I thought they were very nice but if the 2016 is quieter and has a better interior I am certainly interested.

So my question really is given the option of having all-wheel-drive or front-wheel-drive based purely on driving dynamics is there a reason to choose either one? What is your experience between them?

Thank you greatly for your experience in this matter,

RW

I doubt you could tell them apart on dry pavement. The FWD weighs less, costs less and is slightly faster so if you don't expect to get much use out of AWD your decision is easy.

I always chose AWD because it gives extra traction in the wet.

The downside is the extra weight and inefficiencies of AWD when it operates uses more fuel and blunts performance.
FWD may have slightly better handling and improved MPG, and cheaper purchase costs.

I tow a 1565kg caravan so find AWD useful especially on wet grass.

snip/

I tow a 1565kg caravan so find AWD useful especially on wet grass.

Wowza, that diesel power in your ride is incredible! Just shy of 3500 pounds! Does it ever seem like the tail wagging the dog? CX-5 weight is about the same as your trailer.

On a side note- years ago I owned a Raleigh bicycle that was built in Worksop. It was a beautifully made frame, and I would still have it today but for it was a bit large for me so it had to find a new home

Last edited:
Wowza, that diesel power in your ride is incredible! Just shy of 3500 pounds! Does it ever seem like the tail wagging the dog? CX-5 weight is about the same as your trailer.

On a side note- years ago I owned a Raleigh bicycle that was built in Worksop. It was a beautifully made frame, and I would still have it today but for it was a bit large for me so it had to find a new home

My car weighs over 1720kg on a weighbridge, just driver and fuel, bare in mind the towbar adds around 21kg, and I have a full size wheel that weighs around 27kg. Mazda quote my kerb weight at 1663kg.

Its makes a very good tow car I would be happy to tow 1650kg with the car, its rated to tow a 2000kg braked trailer.

Yes Raleigh used to be a big name years ago, they are still made I believe but in China, I have a couple of French bikes my self.

Last edited:
My car weighs over 1720kg on a weighbridge, just driver and fuel, bare in mind the towbar adds around 21kg, and I have a full size wheel that weighs around 27kg. Mazda quote my kerb weight at 1663kg.

Its makes a very good tow car I would be happy to tow 1650kg with the car, its rated to tow a 2000kg braked trailer.

Yes Raleigh used to be a big name years ago, they are still made I believe but in China, I have a couple of French bikes my self.

Thanks for that information!

As to your French bikes- I had a Gitane years ago and more recently a 70's vintage MBK team frame fixie. The French sure like to do things their own way- I find the totally different... everything... to be odd man out in my stable of US, Japanese, Italian and UK offerings.

Back