CX-9 Front Wheel Bearing Noise??

MonsterEmma

:
CX-9 AWD Touring
Anyone have any experience with a CX-9 front wheel bearing going bad; i.e. really noisy. It sounds like a bad wheel bearing and the noise definitely changes when the steering wheel is moved from side to side (usually a telltale sign). The noise basically came from nowhere, one day didn't notice anything, then the next day it was really noisy.

I looked at the book and these seem to be a pain to change out, looks like you have to remove the steering knuckle and drive out the hub first and then the bearing.

Anyone else have a front wheel bearing go bad? Is this common to the CX-9, mine is at about 80K?

Have you tried jacking up the wheel and checking for play in the bearing just to be sure it is actually the bearing? It does look like a big job.

Ok sorry for the delayed reply, it was the wheel bearing and I fixed it myself RIGHT SIDE. On the above comment, I did check for play and it really didn't have any but was definitely noisy. The car is SUPER quiet now I mean it must have been making noise for some time because it is very very quiet now.

What I can say is absolutely don't fix this at home unless you have some serious tools and a good press with fixtures. The bearing is a very tight press into the steering knuckle and you must separate the hub from the assy. When you remove the hub one side of the bearing races stays with it. The book says to grind down the race and then chisel off. This took me a lot of grinding to remove this race!

I guess another possibility is I'm getting old and complain too much. Bottom line is it can be done and there its always a good feeling when you can pull off a repair like this yourself.

Anyone know what the dealer charges to replace?

Congrats on getting her fixed yourself.

What year is your CX-9 and how many miles does it have on it?

I just did some searching of the forum and the number of $600 seems to come up frequently. These bearings really seem to be a weak link. In the threads linked to in the link below, there was mention of a TSB that replaces or fixes a cover for the wheel speed sensor that supposedly allowed contamination of the bearing. You might want to check into that with your dealer and see if you can get the fix (if applicable) and maybe even get the cost of your replacement bearing covered. But most importably, keep your current bearings clean!

Here is the link I had just posted on last night: Roar, Front End, Front Wheel Bearings?

Thanks,

Mine is a 2008 Grand Tour AWD with 83K. Is that $600 for both front or one side? My guess is that is for both front bearings. I'll check into the cover issue but this is a composite bearing with dust shields so I'm not sure how the speed sensor can contaminate (not saying it can't happen).

Thanks again.

I had this problem early on. One of the front bearings was shot. Both were replaced under warranty. Dealer said it's a Ford part and a common problem. Both were fixed under warranty. I'm now at 95K miles and no problems since the initial replacement.

I known this is an older thread and im new to this forum but can someone tell me how to get the ball joint to seperate from the steering knuckle?

Use a fork if you don't care about the ball joint and are going to replace it, this is just to illustrate what it looks like, check the size before buying.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Use either one of these if you do care about the ball joint and want to keep it, this is just to illustrate what it looks like, check the size before buying.

If you have Autozone near you, you can rent them for free.

BUT, if you are asking how to do this, do you have the tools to press out the bearing? You need a press for that, and some other tools too.

Last edited:
metsfan999, I don't think they are direclty related, but I suppose a loose balljoint could put excessive loads on the bearing and cause it to fail prematurely.

On a side note, my wife's 2009 CX9 just had one of the rear wheel bearings(full hub assembly) replaced @ ~107k miles. The crappy thing is that they broke a bolt(not sure which one) when doing an alignment after replacing that and the front tie rods and apparently had to replace the front control arm. I'm hoping she gets the recall notice and can have that cost removed from the bill.

Back