Whining/winding noise in 1st gear?

BuckWallace

:
2010 CX-9 GT AWD
Hi all. I just purchased a new-to-me 2010 CX-9 GT AWD with 25k miles. After scouring the forums, I'm starting to freak myself out that there might be a transfer case issue, but the symptoms don't really match up with what I'm reading on here. Anyway, when accelerating from a stop, and only in 1st gear, there is sort of a whining or winding-up noise that sounds like it's coming from the front of the car. The sound isn't present in gears above 1st. There is no smell, leaks, or grinding noises. It almost sounds like a turbo to give an idea of the sound, but not quite as high-pitched. Is this normal or is it something I should look further into? Thanks in advance.

I had the same problem at low speed 10 mph, and now I can hear it on higher speed on 6th gear at low rpms. If I switch to manual gear selection and shift to 5th - it's fine. I've changed the oil in transfer case and transmission but it didn't help. Maybe it's one of the pulleys on the engine, or power steering pump, I'll try to figure out. I'm sure it's nothing critical though because you cannot hear it at higher speeds.

Thanks for the reply. The guy I purchased it from bought it new in Nov 2010, so I suppose the 5-year/60k mile powertrain warranty is still in effect. I might just take it in to a dealer and see what they think. They'll probably just give me the "it's normal" or "we can't find anything wrong" schpeel, but if it is something common with the transmission or transfer case the warranty should cover it...

I have the same noise from my 2010 GT FWD with around 85K miles. Curious to know what it is too.

Hmm, interesting. That makes me feel a little better since yours is a FWD. I'll still probably take it into the dealer before my warranty is up and let you know what they say.

Sorry to bring back this thread but I have same noise. I asked the dealer and he had his tech check it out and mentioned that it's normal. So for all of you who owns 2010 CX-9 AWD, have you noticed that 1st gear whine exactly as described by the OP. Goes away immediately after it shifts to 2nd.

Sounds like one of those things that's "normal" while you're in power train warranty but will be an expensive repair when it gets worse out of warranty. I'd take it to an independent shop for a 2nd opinion.

I had the same problem at low speed 10 mph, and now I can hear it on higher speed on 6th gear at low rpms. If I switch to manual gear selection and shift to 5th - it's fine. I've changed the oil in transfer case and transmission but it didn't help. Maybe it's one of the pulleys on the engine, or power steering pump, I'll try to figure out. I'm sure it's nothing critical though because you cannot hear it at higher speeds.

Did you ever find anything out on this issue. I just purchased a used 2009 CX-9 AWD and I get the whine in first when I give it more gas and in 6th with any acceleration when I hit 40-55 mph. I also tested in 5th and there's not sound. Dealer heard when driving, but couldn't pin point the issue in the shop.

Did you ever find anything out on this issue. I just purchased a used 2009 CX-9 AWD and I get the whine in first when I give it more gas and in 6th with any acceleration when I hit 40-55 mph. I also tested in 5th and there's not sound. Dealer heard when driving, but couldn't pin point the issue in the shop.

how many odometer miles do you have ? I'm almost certain the whine is a symptom of your transfer case about to go bad

you can read all about it here:

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123847373-Changing-CX-9-transfer-case-gear-oil-%28photos%29

I changed the oil in the transfer case twice, just to clean it. Put the Redline gear oil, very good, used it on my subaru before and it fixed the grinding. Anyway, it's 145 000 on the car and awd works fine no problem. The whining noise is still there at low speeds though.

how many odometer miles do you have ? I'm almost certain the whine is a symptom of your transfer case about to go bad

you can read all about it here:

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123847373-Changing-CX-9-transfer-case-gear-oil-%28photos%29

82,000 miles. I specifically asked about transfer case and they said there were no signs of leaking. He indicated the sound was unlike what he thought was typical for a transfer case problem. It's a faint whine/whistle that you have to listen for. Considering a drain and fill of the transfer case.

I changed the oil in the transfer case twice, just to clean it. Put the Redline gear oil, very good, used it on my subaru before and it fixed the grinding. Anyway, it's 145 000 on the car and awd works fine no problem. The whining noise is still there at low speeds though.

Interesting. The description of your whining noise is the most similar to what I've experienced, particularly because of the 6th gear at low rpms note. Did the 6th gear low rpms whine go away after the transfer case oil change?

I have the same first gear whine. Mine is a FWD though. I bought it with 38k miles and didn't notice the noise until about a month later. I'm going to have the dealer check it.

2014 cx5 1st gear whine

I have the same first gear whine. Mine is a FWD though. I bought it with 38k miles and didn't notice the noise until about a month later. I'm going to have the dealer check it.

I have the same issue with 2014 cx5 1st gear whine, its a mtx 6 speed, 110k miles. Just got the car, noise is only in 1st gear at times. I have a feeling it could be the strut bearing which is damaged on drivers side front.

The strut bearing was broken but was not the problem.. also changed out the lower ball joint and still same issue. I have a feeling its the transmision. And yes about 60mph at 6th gear its there again.

I'm at 195K miles now, and it's still whining. Drives fine, besides that tcase went South and now it's fwd :).
I was messing with transmission on my jeep once, and removed oil pump incorrectly, it bent it slightly. Had the same noise at low speed. Could be the transmission oil pump out of tolerance. Nothing major, will not explode,

1st gear whine is normal, mine has always done it. 2nd gear rattle though was due to missing manifold brace from factory, was an easy fix.

Back