2012 Mazda2 Manual Transmission/Transaxle Gear oil change?

The Ford / Motorcraft fluid is not 75W80 though. It is also quite a bit more expensive than Redline.

True, it's 75w90, but it's more readily available. Also what does price have anything to do with it? If you are really worried about the equivalent $.001 per mile more than Redline then stop carrying spare change in the car to make up for the fuel economy. You're talking maybe a $45 difference that will not be even thought of again for 45,000mi. Second, this is the fluid that Ford uses in everything from the Fiesta to the Mustang and enthusiasts are using it in nearly every FWD car on the market with outstanding results. Miata and Speed3 owners worship it like god, and my personal experience is only positive.

Oh, UT Morpheus, you don't have to tell me how good the Motorcraft fluid is. I use it in the Miata despite the high cost, and the smoothness I get is spectacular. Still, in my neck of woods at least, the Redline MT90 (a 75W90 fluid) sells for $20/qt, while the Motorcraft fluid sells for a whopping $34/qt. So that is easily a 40% premium. With the Miata, it needs 3 quarts per transmission fluid change, and I do it on an annual basis because the car sees a lot of autox and track time. So whenever I get around to do it, the costs always seem to sting a bit.

Does the Fiesta share the same transmisison as the Mazda2? The bigger concern is really whether the thicker Motorcraft fluid is suitable for our little cars, and more so for me because of the cooler climate here in the PNW. Between 75W80, 75W85, and 75W90, what is a guy to use?

I already get confused enough between 0W20, 5W20, 0W30, 5W30, 0W40, 5W40, etc. (pow)

I ended up just ordering a bunch of MTL for the miata and the 2. Free 2 day shipping is even better than driving 10 minutes to autozone or advance. I've always used the motorcraft stuff for the miata in the past, but its been taking a beating lately (4 hrs of track time per event) so I'm switching to redline since it seems to work well for the SM guys.

Just to follow up since I forgot to months ago: I was incorrect. Mitchell/Alldata/Identifix all specify 75w80 GL4 for the 11-14 Mazda2 manual trans. So MTL is correct.

In the EUDM mazdas the recommended gear oil is GL-4 or GL-5, 75w-90 for all season oil or 80w-90 for climates that never see under 10C.

GL-4 is better for a 2 that GL-5. Syncros should last longer with less sulfur. I went with red-line.

From the service manual:

y6zFVVg.jpg

That seems strange. The weight I can see being different for whatever reason but the gl-4 vs gl-5 thing I would think is important. Here's what I have in my manual.

The photo of the service manual that I uploaded is for the EUDM Mz2.
The mechanical parts are the same(EUDM,JDM,USDM), if the EUDM can handle the 75w-90 or a GL-5 API the same applies to the USDM.
Maybe because of the different climate they recommend the 75w-80

I almost guarantee it's for EPA/fuel mileage reasons.

What is the engine oil specification in Europe? Our US cars call for 0w20.

As long as we're talking about trans fluid and stuff, I changed mine yesterday. Here is a shot of the inspection hole... I forgot to take a pic of the "cap" but it basically looks like an electrical connector is supposed to plug into it, it's a dummy plug that sticks up about 1.5+in. There's a 10mm bolt that holds it in.

76ekJNx.jpg

I removed the battery so it's easier to get at.

Here's a fill spec:

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...hange-75w-90&p=6274672&viewfull=1#post6274672

FWIW I was careful to not spill anything and it took exactly 3qts.

I almost guarantee it's for EPA/fuel mileage reasons.

What is the engine oil specification in Europe? Our US cars call for 0w20.

As long as we're talking about trans fluid and stuff, I changed mine yesterday. Here is a shot of the inspection hole... I forgot to take a pic of the "cap" but it basically looks like an electrical connector is supposed to plug into it, it's a dummy plug that sticks up about 1.5+in. There's a 10mm bolt that holds it in.

76ekJNx.jpg

I removed the battery so it's easier to get at.

Here's a fill spec:

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...hange-75w-90&p=6274672&viewfull=1#post6274672

FWIW I was careful to not spill anything and it took exactly 3qts.

Your spot on! On other Mazdas there's a speedo sensor in there :)

Thanks for all the tips guys. I changed mine today and it was quite simple even for someone completely car-illiterate like me. I didn't find the 10mm inspection hole, I just drained from the bottom and put in 3 qts from the 23mm hole on the front of the transmission. I used Redline MTL.

My owners manual chart says 75,000 - 112,000 miles replace manual transaxle fluid depending on what country you are in (Europe, Australia, thailand) etc. But I live the good ol United states and theres not a chart for the US ? Google says it's a lifetime fill but my chart says otherwise. I'm going to replace it regardless , but was wondering if anyone knows what their deal is and why it changes depending on where you live ?

Back