2012 Mazda2 Manual Transmission/Transaxle Gear oil change?

Ted_R

Is their a recommended/necessary gear oil change interval for a 5 speed manual Mazda 2 transmission ?

Nothing is shown in my owners manual, I have done some brief research but have found nothing conclusive yet.

Thanks Gents, I appreciate your help :)

The motorcraft stuff seems pretty popular, despite the cost. Redline and Amsoil also seem to be favorites. Depending on how you drive it anywhere between 30 and 60k is usually a safe bet for changes.

OM for my '13 says 75W-80 GL4.

Just remember the 3 most important things:
1) GL5 is NOT a successor to GL4. It will make it shift like you dumped gravel into the gear box.
2) Safe for GL4/GL5 is just as bad as straight GL5. DON'T USE IT.
3) For god's sake read the label and don't buy anything listing GL5.

We run redline MTL but that is on a car which is running around on the track all the time so it is at operating temps all the time.

-Derrick

I was planning to run MTL in mine as well. It's used almost solely for autocross.

Redline's fluid for the Mazda2 would be MT85. Which is 75w85(Mazda factory weight).

MTL is thinner as a 75w80 fluid.

I'm not so sure I'd run a thinner than factory fluid unless you live in a cold climate, but if Derrick is having good luck actually racing it then it's probably not enough to matter in the real world.

I'll be putting MT85 in mine before the auto-x season starts.

EDIT: checked and it is indeed 75w80... MTL is the fluid to use.

Last edited:
The local enthusiast shop only stocks Redline MT-90 (a 75W90 fluid) and Redline MTL (a 70W80 fluid), but not MT-85 (a 75W85 fluid). I don't suppose I can mix the two together to get what I need, right? (boom03)

OK, don't mind me. Moving right along...

Redline's fluid for the Mazda2 would be MT85. Which is 75w85(Mazda factory weight).

MTL is thinner as a 75w80 fluid.

I'm not so sure I'd run a thinner than factory fluid unless you live in a cold climate, but if Derrick is having good luck actually racing it then it's probably not enough to matter in the real world.

I'll be putting MT85 in mine before the auto-x season starts.

The owners manual says 75w80 and the application guide on redline's site says the 2 should take MTL. Although I have seen online different people saying it calls for 75w85 and even 75w90.

Last edited:
I put Redline in my 2 - to help it survive. I run it in autocross competition and it gets me to work every day.

Hint: there is a LOT of fluid in that tiny transmission. If Redline is less viscous, this change gets you more HP to the wheel with a fluid change because the gears slosh easier in the oil. If it helps the transmission last longer, you have a bonus.

The owners manual says 75w80 and the application guide on redline's site says the 2 should take MTL. Although I have seen online different people saying it calls for 75w85 and even 75w90.

I'll have to see what Mitchell/All data/Identifix say when I'm at work on Tuesday. I remember seeing 75w85.

EDIT: I remembered wrong. 75w80 it is!

Last edited:
The main thing I am curious about is how often the change is recommended. Most of my driving is normal city/highway mileage, no racing.

I don't think the mazda service schedule even has the gearbox oil listed. I think they consider it a "lifetime fill" but don't take my word on that...

Personally, I am not a believer of "lifetime fills". Especially given my usage (DD/autox/track), I know there will be accelerated wear, and therefore a need to replace the old fluids.

Now, if I could only find the right grade of stuff that I need...

Has anybody had experience with any easy to find tranny fluids such as mobil1? If not, I may just order the redline stuff. At over 30k, mine is way overdue.

Mobil doesn't make any GL4 only gear oil. Its all meant for differentials and will potentially mess stuff up. Its Redline, OEM, and maybe Amsoil makes something too IIRC. Also Hyundai and probably Toyota have their own GL4 manual trans fluids.

I get my Redline stuff through Carquest if you have one locally. May need ordered but they can get it.

Has anybody had experience with any easy to find tranny fluids such as mobil1? If not, I may just order the redline stuff. At over 30k, mine is way overdue.

1) Go to Ford dealer
2) Grab XT-M5-QS
3) Dump in gearbox
4) ??????
5) PROFIT!

Back