Spark Plug Removal

fvansan

:
2014 mazda cx 5 gt
Well, I tried all my spark plug sockets and none of them fit the 2014 CX GT plugs. I poked a flash light down the plug hole and couldn't even view a plug nut. Anyone can help me please with the size of the proper removal socket? Thanks!

It appears replacements can be any of the following. Might be able to track down proper socket that way.

PE01-18-110, PE02-18-110, PE5R-18-110, PE5S-18-110

This is from the FSM.

Spark plug gap [PE01-18-110, PE02-18-110]
Standard: 0.75—1.10 mm {0.030—0.043 in}
New spark plug (reference): 0.75—0.85 mm {0.030—0.033 in} Spark plug gap [PE5R-18-110, PE5S-18-110]
Standard: 1.05—1.40 mm {0.0414—0.0551 in}
New spark plug (reference): 1.05—1.15 mm {0.0414—0.0452 in}

Internet stated a 5/7 wrench, tried, but it didn't fit. I wanted to remove a plug
to see if the engine is running rich that may help explain the crappy fuel mileage.

Last edited:
I see these spark plugs are the latest designed plugs. They appear to have special thin ground and center electrodes. I can't see that costing 3-4X more than standard platinum or Tungsten tipped plugs.

Best source for highest quality spark plugs

What's your best source for spark plugs? My best information is that OEM Mazda PE5S 18110 is the highest quality spark plug. They are expensive, though. Have you seen the price difference if you shop online? Some are very similar or just a few bucks discounted off of dealer price, about $23 each. Engineered to get what you pay for. Nearly $100 for the set of 4. Some charge freight on top of that, too.

But on Ebay there are sellers who claim OEM parts at a fraction of the cost. Has anyone bought from these sellers and compared the product side-by-side? I hope I'm not breaking the rules (I may hear about it if I am) if I provide the source. For less than the price of one dealer plug, I can have a set of four. And I can find them in the old stock original non-resistor or in the newer part number for resistor plugs (the "S" changes to an "R" if I understand the nomenclature correctly), so I'm assuming these are old stock. But I don't know if these are "for Mazda" knock-offs that are cleverly made, marked, and boxed to look like OEM but just cheap imitations. In any case, these pictured look like the originals from my car.

I'm interested in hearing if you've found a discounted, reliable source for your spark plugs (and other parts). Do you trust these?

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Last edited:
What's your best source for spark plugs? My best information is that OEM Mazda PE5S 18110 is the highest quality spark plug. They are expensive, though. Have you seen the price difference if you shop online? Some are very similar or just a few bucks discounted off of dealer price, about $23 each. Engineered to get what you pay for. Nearly $100 for the set of 4. Some charge freight on top of that, too.

But on Ebay there are sellers who claim OEM parts at a fraction of the cost. Has anyone bought from these sellers and compared the product side-by-side? I hope I'm not breaking the rules (I may hear about it if I am) if I provide the source. For less than the price of one dealer plug, I can have a set of four. And I can find them in the old stock original non-resistor or in the newer part number for resistor plugs (the "S" changes to an "R" if I understand the nomenclature correctly), so I'm assuming these are old stock. But I don't know if these are "for Mazda" knock-offs that are cleverly made, marked, and boxed to look like OEM but just cheap imitations. In any case, these pictured look like the originals from my car.

I'm interested in hearing if you've found a discounted, reliable source for your spark plugs (and other parts). Do you trust these?

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Those pictures may be the real deal but in no way guarantee thats what arrives in the shipment. No way those are real. Clever counterfeits will arrive that have slight differences than those pictured. Well know issue to avoid at OdyClub. Get the NGK plugs, should be the same thing but lacking the Mazda logo. I got the compatible Denso Iridium plugs for about $30 for a set of 4 at Advance Auto, they work fine *shrug*. Way safer bet than some crapshoot eBay listing.

Until I know that non oem plug meets the workshop manual resistance of 3.0*7.5 kilohms) I wouldn't use a non OEM plug. The ecu uses the spark plug as primary knock sensor. If the resistance is out of spec then you could end up losing power and or mpg. I've been meaning to buy a cheap plug from Vatozone and test the resistance.

Until I know that non oem plug meets the workshop manual resistance of 3.0*7.5 kilohms) I wouldn't use a non OEM plug. The ecu uses the spark plug as primary knock sensor. If the resistance is out of spec then you could end up losing power and or mpg. I've been meaning to buy a cheap plug from Vatozone and test the resistance.

[emoji23] what a non sense.... keep using oem and getting ripped off instead of using good ngk or denso spark plugs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Its well established that the NGK plugs are the OEM without the Mazda logo (down to the part number printed on them). Yrwei did a deep dive research project and somehow found out that some CX-5s came standard with the Denso Iridium spark plugs. Those are the only two Id consider. Anything else is a roll of the dice.

EBay plugs are likely going to be counterfeit when the claim is OEM for a set of 4 cheaper than the going rate of 1 plug. People who installed eBay plugs over at OdyClub thinking they were OEM lost hundreds in labor when the counterfeit set caused misfires and such in under a year of use.

It*s well established that the NGK plugs are the OEM without the Mazda logo (down to the part number printed on them). Yrwei did a deep dive research project and somehow found out that some CX-5*s came standard with the Denso Iridium spark plugs. Those are the only two I*d consider. Anything else is a roll of the dice.

EBay plugs are likely going to be counterfeit when the claim is OEM for a set of 4 cheaper than the going rate of 1 plug. People who installed eBay plugs over at OdyClub thinking they were OEM lost hundreds in labor when the counterfeit set caused misfires and such in under a year of use.

I recall reading how some Tacomas' v6 engines had NGKs on one side and Densos on the other :). Both are JDM oem manufacturers and should be good as long as the specs match. No issues after 35k miles on aftermarket NGK 94124 ILKAR7L11.......only issue was my plug socket kept getting removed from my extension tool. I ended up using electrical tape to tape it unto my ratchet extension.

Last edited:
only issue was my plug socket kept getting removed from my extension tool. I ended up using electrical tape to tape it unto my ratchet extension.

Haha, I had to do the same exact thing when I replaced my plugs.

[emoji23] what a non sense.... keep using oem and getting ripped off instead of using good ngk or denso spark plugs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That's not nonsense, its 100% from the workshop manua specifiedl values.. just because a non oem plug is gapped correctly doesn't mean it meets the same resistance (even within the same brand, you can find tests of this in many places). If you actually research the topic (instead of a denying with 0 background) you'll find that multiple plugs with different model numbers and from different manufacturers, specified for the same car can have wildly different resistances. Considering how many years and or tens of thousands of miles plugs usually last, I'd rather pay for the performance than save $20 or $30 usd every 75,000 miles. That is, unless I test s plug and its within the range the ecu is looking for. If it's not, only the standard knock sensor behinh the intake manifold is being used which isn't as precise.

If you look at misfire/error code engine problems on this site you will find that several people solved such problems by putting the correct spark plug in due to the ion feedback system that the ECU uses...

If you actually research the topic (instead of a denying with 0 background)

I work as a mechanic mate, i need no research. Have been using NGK/denso for ages on brand new cars or old ones. As long as you follow the cross reference supplied by NGK / Denso. Never ever had I any issue with those spark plugs. But again, if you want to stick to the electrical numbers and facts on paper, your choice. Ill stick to facts in everyday use and experience.

Cheers

Last edited:
Back