2016 CX-5 GT w/Tech Package

Thoughts on the LED headlights? Better, equal, or worse than the old HID bulbs? If you get a chance to take a picture of the cutoff, I'm curious as to what it's like compared to our current HIDs.

I can tell you the headlights are much much brighter than the ones on the 2013 but I didn't have the tech package back then.

This is the best I can do for now, might be able to get a better one later. Focus is totally off.
15xwl1k.jpg

I am curious to see how much brighter the LEDs are than the HID's of models with tech. I find current illumination really good with my HIDs.

I can tell you the headlights are much much brighter than the ones on the 2013 but I didn't have the tech package back then.

This is the best I can do for now, might be able to get a better one later. Focus is totally off.
15xwl1k.jpg

Yup, same tires. They might have added extra soundproofing material to the doors and wheel wells. Not entirely sure. The doors do feel heavier somehow?

Hey, thanks for all of the informative posts. I know you live in Canada but can you tell us what kind of deal you got on this truck? Lease/finance etc? Thanks again!

Hey, thanks for all of the informative posts. I know you live in Canada but can you tell us what kind of deal you got on this truck? Lease/finance etc? Thanks again!

It's a 36 month lease. I could've gotten a pretty good deal on a 2015, but decided to go for a 2016 even though the dealer was not as inclined to budge on the pricing.
I got a 1% rate discount - owner renewal (so 1.99% instead of 2.99%), a few minor extras (winter mats, wheel locks, cargo net, cargo cover) and was let off the hook for some excess wear on the 2013 I was returning. Both mirror covers were scratched and there was a little road rash on two of the rims. The summer tires were also pretty worn out.

Last edited:
Is the parking brake actuated automatically when you place in park?

Is the switch used for release?

Hmm.. I prefer the hand pull myself...I like the new headlight/taillight and interior, but I don't like the ne style grille/fog light, or the button p brake.

Just curious about the small stuff...

Is pushed set and up released or vice versa?

It's the opposite. My guess is it was done to emulate a hand brake.
I also prefer a normal hand brake. I always find myself playing with it while I'm driving! Bad habit I guess...

Hmm.. I prefer the hand pull myself...I like the new headlight/taillight and interior, but I don't like the ne style grille/fog light, or the button p brake.

I actually like the new front grille and fogs. What I don't really like is what they've done to the mazda logo on the grille.
It's hard to explain, but you can probably see it on the last picture in the first post.

Are you able to hear the brake actuator when you engage it or is it silent? I assume they set it up with basically a small electric winch to wind in & out the cable that was previously attached to the physical hand brake.

I wonder if that mechanism has an override in it in case that motor failed and wouldn't allow you to take the parking brakes off?

Nice 2016. Probably one of the 1st to own one. As for hot leather seats, you can get ceramic tint & it should help block out the heat. Clear ceramic film on the windshield.

Are you able to hear the brake actuator when you engage it or is it silent? I assume they set it up with basically a small electric winch to wind in & out the cable that was previously attached to the physical hand brake.

I wonder if that mechanism has an override in it in case that motor failed and wouldn't allow you to take the parking brakes off?

I haven't heard it myself, but here's some interesting info from the owner's manual:

-The electric parking brake cannot be applied or released when the battery is dead
-If the electric parking brake is repeatedly applied and released it may stop operating to prevent overheating. If this occurs, wait approx. 1 minutes before operating the electric parking brake switch again
-An operation sound occurs when applying or releasing the electric parking brake, however, this does not indicate a malfunction

Last edited:
Back