Can you paint 16" stock MP5 chrome wheels?

fortworthmatt

:
Mazda Protege 5
I have the 16" chrome factory wheels and they are looking pretty shabby. The chrome looks horrible. Has anyone tried sanding and painting these wheels? My car is silver and I think grey would look nice. I dont want to plastidip them and dont want black. Any thoughts?

You can paint anything with proper prep. Just google prep and paint for chrome rims. Last set I did I used duplicolor and they turned out great!

I just plastidip my chrome p5 wheels and am very happy. Unfortantly I change my mind weekly about things so plastidip was a better choice for me.

Have you tried any commercial chrome cleaning products?

The permanent paint job would be media blasting the wheels, coating with self etching primer, and then painted your color of choice.

Thanks for the info. I have been searching the webs and it looks like if I prep it correctly and use a self etching primer like you guys suggested I should be ok. I think a grey would look good to contrast the silver paint.

I would personally go with a dark grey. Looks sharp imo

I am leaning that way. I am using the TireRack website so I can see different color wheels on the car, althought the silver P5 they use is no where near my silver but it helps. I dont want black because I think it washes out with the tire. I am going to the paint store later this week to buy some silver to repaint my oxidized spoiler and new side mirror to replce my broken one.

Do you have any photos of those wheels on the car? Thinking about dipping mine black.

I wish! We're still in winter mode over here so those won't be touching the car for a couple more months. If it warms up a bit I might throw them beside the car to see if I like or not, I'll post a pic if I do.

I've sprayed a bunch of pieces, including the headlights and grill, maybe time for a mini build thread.

Back