Engine isn't getting warm enough

aerosmudge

:
2005 Mazda 2 Capella
My engine isn't warming up and the temperature needle gauge is oscillating slightly between just below what was until recently normal (about half way) and about a quarter off zero. The engine idles slightly above normal speed as if the choke hasn't quite come off. I don't think the fan is running when it shouldn't. This has happened 2 days agao and I have been doing the same journey on a very regular basis with no problems. Oil and coolant levels are okay. I travel a round trip of approximately 40 miles to work and back and the egine gets a good run.
Has anyone any ideas of what I can check when I get the chance.

not getting warm is almost a guaranteed thermostat issue, unless you recently installed a HUGE radiator that tripled your coolant capacity

In the states, the local auto parts stores push these "Fail-Safe" thermostats that are designed to stick open if the engine runs a little warm or hot. They're really not fail-safe because they work just like a regular thermostat (aside from sticking open) and they can fail closed just like a regular thermostat. Lots of people here have had trouble with them sticking open when they weren't really over heated. When that happens, the engine usually runs cooler, you loose some heat to the cabin, and you'll have to replace it. If yours has ever been replaced, it might have been done with one of these fail-safes.

Back