CX-9 Water Pump Replacement

It's kind of sobering to find out that there's a ticking time bomb in the 1st gen CX-9s. I called around and got quotes of around $2K to replace the water pump just to mitigate engine replacement once the water pump goes. I think it's time to part ways with our CX-9. It's been a good car, but this design flaw is not going to end well.

Just happened to my family...

My 2010 CX-9 with 95k miles overheated on a Thanksgiving trip from NC to Florida and my family was stranded on the side of I-10. Long story short..got it to a dealer to diagnose and they said it needs a new engine due to the water pump failing and coolant leaking into it. First and last Mazda.

I just realized something. Why can't mazda get engines from Toyota or Honda? they are 3.5 liter also and if this was to happen to those particular engines the repair cost is only 700 bucks which means that it probably can be done diy. Does ford still have an ownership stake in mazda which requires them to use the duratec to this day.

The Toyota V6 requires a timing chain replacement at 100K and yes, they do the water pump at the same time. The cost at a dealer is ~$2500 but can be done for around $1500 in regular shops. This is from experience.

I dunno, think about all the police contracts that have the same set up in the explorers and taurus's, they are putting tons of miles on those and if lots of them were blowing water pumps, you'd hear a lot more about it.
This issue doesn't seem as wide spread as it could be. Now watch mine go out tomorow with 101 on the ticker.

Back