Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CX-9 Water Pump Replacement

Swede, You don't get it. Read the Ford Edge posts. Ford admitted there were housing and block casting flaws AND it was a bad design. They have cost shared 2/3- 1/3. Whatever though, its your money.
    2008 CX-9 Grand Touring, White/Sand

Registered Member

2007 Mazda CX-9 Touring

Pootie tang, I am just curious. If there are casting flaws in the engine block how would a water pump replacement fix this issue? I am guessing that this will happen again with the replacement water pump. Even if they cost shared which I am guessing they would only do a 1/3 share, that would still leave you with a bill of around 4-5 thousand since the engine would be replaced also. If I am missing something here please let me know. I do agree with you though that they should share the cost of either the water pump, engine or both.

Registered Member

2007 Mazda CX-9 Touring

I just realized something. Why can't mazda get engines from Toyota or Honda? they are 3.5 liter also and if this was to happen to those particular engines the repair cost is only 700 bucks which means that it probably can be done diy. Does ford still have an ownership stake in mazda which requires them to use the duratec to this day.

Registered Member

2015 Mazda Cx-9

So my wife and daughter where driving from so cal to Las Vegas a cpl months back . At 70 mph on the 15 just south of Vegas car shuts off no warning. Have the vehicle towed to local Mech informed me it was water pump failure . 71000 miles . Quoted $2200. Having been in the car business my entire life this sounded insane to me. Had AAA
    Tow back to my local Mech . Removed engine and sure enough water pump was toast. Found the part for 70 bucks and Mech reinstalled engine. Car at idle ran fine after driving a few miles car would stall when slowing down. Engine light indicated timing issue. Took vehicle to Mazda to make sure not a failed sensor. Diag complete returned to my mech we decieded that timing chain may have stretched or jumped a tooth . I was not convinced because vehicle would run perfect at idle. Purchased timing chain from ford as there was a cross over part number mechanic was getting ready to button the engine back up and decieded to check things out one more time. He called me the intake cam had split apart. I spoke to a few Mech including ford and Mazda techs . They had never seen this happen. Replaced cam ( had to get from Mazda no cross over part for some reason) car runs new . 2 months later . Happy I took it home still with all the grief saved thousands.

Registered Member

2008 Mazda CX-9 Touring FWD . 2014 CX-5 GT FWD

Quote Originally Posted by Joeleach64 View Post
    '...the intake cam had split apart. I spoke to a few Mech including ford and Mazda techs . They had never seen this happen. Replaced cam ( had to get from Mazda no cross over part for some reason) car runs new . 2 months later . Happy I took it home still with all the grief saved thousands.
    I can't imagine the force required to destroy an intake cam. That had to have a manufacturing flaw. Even then, the forces required are crazy. I would be selling/trading that vehicle asap were it mine but to each his own.

Registered Member

2010 Mazda CX-9 GT Liquid Silver Metallic

It's kind of sobering to find out that there's a ticking time bomb in the 1st gen CX-9s. I called around and got quotes of around $2K to replace the water pump just to mitigate engine replacement once the water pump goes. I think it's time to part ways with our CX-9. It's been a good car, but this design flaw is not going to end well.

Registered Member

Mazda CX-9 Touring

Just happened to my family...

My 2010 CX-9 with 95k miles overheated on a Thanksgiving trip from NC to Florida and my family was stranded on the side of I-10. Long story short..got it to a dealer to diagnose and they said it needs a new engine due to the water pump failing and coolant leaking into it. First and last Mazda.

Registered Member

2012 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring FWD

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 GT

Quote Originally Posted by kornholio View Post
    I just realized something. Why can't mazda get engines from Toyota or Honda? they are 3.5 liter also and if this was to happen to those particular engines the repair cost is only 700 bucks which means that it probably can be done diy. Does ford still have an ownership stake in mazda which requires them to use the duratec to this day.
    The Toyota V6 requires a timing chain replacement at 100K and yes, they do the water pump at the same time. The cost at a dealer is ~$2500 but can be done for around $1500 in regular shops. This is from experience.

CX-3, CX-5 & CX-9 Moderator

08 CX-9 GT Fwd, Bose/Nav, BSM,Compass/Homelink, Pwr Lift,Tow

I dunno, think about all the police contracts that have the same set up in the explorers and taurus's, they are putting tons of miles on those and if lots of them were blowing water pumps, you'd hear a lot more about it.
    This issue doesn't seem as wide spread as it could be. Now watch mine go out tomorow with 101 on the ticker.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12