Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CX-9 Water Pump Replacement

Registered Member

CX-9 AWD Touring

CX-9 Water Pump Replacement

Does anyone have any experience with a DIY replacement of the CX-9 water pump. My CX-9 had the water pump replaced at 14K and now it's leaking again, this time out of warranty at over 80k.

The first time the comment from the dealer was the engine had to be removed, the alldata information also says to remove the engine. I've looked at it and I'm really not seeing an issue with removing the front cover with the engine in the vehicle. It may be the motor will have to be lifted a little once the mount is removed but I'm really not seeing where the engine has to be pulled.

I was a tech at a Mazda dealer in the early 90's so I'm pretty confident I can pull off this repair, but I thought it probably made sense to ask the question first?

So the question is; has anyone replaced the water pump on a Cx9 3.7 V6 without pulling the engine?

If I end up doing the repair, I'll take some pictures.

Thanks

Registered Member

2007 Mazda CX-9 Touring

Did you ever get that water pump problem fixed? I had it replaced at almost 70k. I had an extended warranty so all i paid was 130 bucks. If you found a way that it can be done please let us know. The service manual states that the engine has to be removed.

Registered Member

mazda cx-9, lux

mine is leaking now and was told 2300 from mazda to fix. they did not say they have to pull the engine, just drop the cross member and raise the motor out a little to make it a bit easier.
    they say only one day to repair so i dont think the motor comes out.

Registered Member

2009 cx9, 2.7L v6

I would also appreciate info on this repair. Just doesn't seem necessary to pull the engine to replace the water pump. there has got to be someone out there that has done it!, I wonder who's idea it was to put the water pump inside the engine? It teems to me that the risk and frequency of seal failure + the complexity of the repair are far greater than any advantages...???

Registered Member

2012 Mazda CX-9 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by motordoc View Post
    It teems to me that the risk and frequency of seal failure + the complexity of the repair are far greater than any advantages...???
    Not when you're a dealership service department making $2300 replacing a wear item....

[IMG][/IMG]
    2008 CX-9 Grand Touring, White/Sand

It appears that Ford/Mazda intended this water pump to be a lifetime part. Not a wear item. It is really jammed away inside the heart of the powertrain. Note that the transaxle must be separated from the engine. The pump sits in there. Yikes. BIG job. Note that the water pump is not at the "front" of the engine but in the middle of the powertrain.
    Last edited by Pootie Tang; 12-30-2015 at 10:57 AM.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

2007 Mazda CX-9 GT

This sucks! I noticed a heavy antifreeze leak the other day coming from the center of my engine block, NOT from the radiator, hoses or expansion tank. It must be a bad water pump right? There is no other reason why it would be leaking from that location?? Im very disappointed in this. My CX-9 has 149,500 miles and has been meticulously maintained. Not excited about the repair bill on this one!

Yeas, I am concerned too. Mine has 137,000 miles. I just changed the coolant which was due at 120,000. Did you replace the coolant at 120,000 miles?
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

As some of you may know, the CX-9 is actually a Ford chassis and engine. The rest is Mazda. I did some searching on Ford Edge Water Pump replacement and found this:

http://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-...er-pump-30978/

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/11720-coolant-leak/

http://www.flatratetech.com/communit...howtopic=31163

http://www.consumer-action.org/index...these_products

Looks like Mazda might cost share the repair with you. I'll keep digging.
    Last edited by Pootie Tang; 12-31-2015 at 11:19 AM.

If this happens to me, I will certainly ask to cost share.
    Last edited by Pootie Tang; 12-31-2015 at 11:17 AM.

Registered Member

2007 Mazda CX-9 GT

Quote Originally Posted by Pootie Tang View Post
    Yeas, I am concerned too. Mine has 137,000 miles. I just changed the coolant which was due at 120,000. Did you replace the coolant at 120,000 miles?
    I never flushed the coolant during my ownership however according to Carfax the previous owner did it at the Mazda dealership at 100K, so it shouldn't have a problem. I just dropped it off at the dealership this morning. Their rebuttal is, "Well most other cars require a water pump replacement with the timing belt at 100K which is usually a $1500 service so its about the same as the other cars." I guess there is some validity to that, but I still don't like the idea of the entire engine & tranny being ripped and torn apart just for a water pump.. That makes me a little nervous..

Registered Member

2007 Mazda CX-9 GT

Quote Originally Posted by Pootie Tang View Post
    If this happens to me, I will certainly ask to cost share.
    If your coolant leaks into the oil and take the engine with it maybe you could ask for cost share cause that shouldn't happen.. but just a water pump replacement they would never do a cost share..

Registered Member

2007 Mazda CX-9 Touring

If your engine doesn't overheat then only the waterpump has to be replaced. The invoice from the mazda dealer had it at almost 1700 dollars. Check repair pal website for an estimate and it is probably lower.

Quote Originally Posted by swedishfella View Post
    I never flushed the coolant during my ownership however according to Carfax the previous owner did it at the Mazda dealership at 100K, so it shouldn't have a problem. I just dropped it off at the dealership this morning. Their rebuttal is, "Well most other cars require a water pump replacement with the timing belt at 100K which is usually a $1500 service so its about the same as the other cars." I guess there is some validity to that, but I still don't like the idea of the entire engine & tranny being ripped and torn apart just for a water pump.. That makes me a little nervous..
    Oh crap. Get it out of that dealer. The car doesn't use belts, it has chains which are lifetime parts. So is the pump since it is buried BETWEEN the engine and the trans but it didn't turn out that way apparently for Ford and Mazda. Those guys have no idea what they are doing apparently.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast