2015 CX-5 Driver' Seat Wear

I have 16,000km/10,000mi on my CX-5.....its less than six months old and I've noticed that the driver's seat is starting to wear. The fabric on the seat back on the left bolster (right around the seam) is showing some obvious signs of wear. The seat bottom on the left side where the seat curves up is also showing wear, but its not as pronounced.

I've owned 5 different Mazda vehicles and have never seen this before. My old 2012 Mazda 5 (120,000km) didn't show wear so quickly and the seat looked great when I traded it. My wife's Mazda 3 isn't showing the same wear either.

Is anyone else experiencing this on their CX-5 and if so, is this just initial wear or it is likely to look terrible in the next few years.

Well obviously it's "initial wear" (in less than six months) and yes, it's going to look like s*** in the next few years. That said, I have no such problems on my 2013 Touring w/19k miles, but I am very aware of how I get into and out of the car because those bolsters represent a significant obstacle in doing so. I suggest you rethink how you're doing this and make an effort to lift yourself over these bolsters and avoid crushing them in the process. This is just common sense and applies to the CX-5 as much as any other vehicle.

I'm fairly careful getting in and out of the vehicle and based on previous vehicles I've owned I'm more leaning towards the seat fabric being inferior. I'm obviously not blopping myself in the seat and I'm not grossly over weight.

Thanks for the condescending reply though...

I have about 42K on my 2013 and have similar wear in the exact same place. And in spite of what others may say, I've never experienced this with any other car either, including those with over 150K miles. To have it this soon also tells me that there may be a quality issue.

The seat fabric appears nice, but is pretty thin and cheap (I've taken the back seats apart to clean after an incident with my son) -- there's really not much to them. Some foam and thin fabric over a metal frame. Mazda made everything light (and cheap) as possible. When my car was new I put Coverking neoprene covers on all seats and I just peeled one back and the seat fabric looks pristine (except for the bits of lint coming off the seat covers) -- If you're concerned about wear, maybe try putting covers on to preserve their life (and potential resale value)

What's even worse is the fabric on the interior doors. My drivers side always looks white from accumulated dirt/grime (and likely) skin oil from hands. I clean it regularly, but it always turns white. Fabric was a bad choice for the interio door design.

Last edited:
What's even worse is the fabric on the interior doors. My drivers side always looks white from accumulated dirt/grime (and likely) skin oil from hands. I clean it regularly, but it always turns white. Fabric was a bad choice for the interio door design.
Didn't take Mazda long to figure that one out. 2014 models were upgraded to vinyl inserts.

Fortunately my leather seems to be holding up well. I don't have a lot of miles though but I regularly condition with Lexol.

Last edited:
I have 16,000km/10,000mi on my CX-5.....its less than six months old and I've noticed that the driver's seat is starting to wear.

That's odd because I have over double (22,000 miles) and I was just noticing how new the sears still looked when I returned from a two-week vacation. I wonder if they used a different quality fabric at some point since the initial 2013 model.

Same problem

I have 16,000km/10,000mi on my CX-5.....its less than six months old and I've noticed that the driver's seat is starting to wear. The fabric on the seat back on the left bolster (right around the seam) is showing some obvious signs of wear. The seat bottom on the left side where the seat curves up is also showing wear, but its not as pronounced.

I've owned 5 different Mazda vehicles and have never seen this before. My old 2012 Mazda 5 (120,000km) didn't show wear so quickly and the seat looked great when I traded it. My wife's Mazda 3 isn't showing the same wear either.

Is anyone else experiencing this on their CX-5 and if so, is this just initial wear or it is likely to look terrible in the next few years.

My 2015 CX5 showed same wear on both driver and passenger seats within only a few weeks of purchase. The dealership replaced them and within a few weeks of replacement it happened again. Now they are telling me it is my fault as they have not had any other complaints. Has anyone else taken their vehicle back to the dealership and what was your experience? I have never had this problem with any other car I have ever owned.

So Far...Leather is ok.

The seat fabric appears nice, but is pretty thin and cheap (I've taken the back seats apart to clean after an incident with my son) -- there's really not much to them. Some foam and thin fabric over a metal frame. Mazda made everything light (and cheap) as possible. When my car was new I put Coverking neoprene covers on all seats and I just peeled one back and the seat fabric looks pristine (except for the bits of lint coming off the seat covers) -- If you're concerned about wear, maybe try putting covers on to preserve their life (and potential resale value)

So Far, So Good on my "Leather"...Had a 2003 Honda where the seat fabric was replaced 2 times...bleh...never was any good.
Leather is not my 1st choice, hot in summer, cold in winter, but it beats the cloth wearout!

I have the touring grey/sand colored fabric and it appears high quality but, I don't like the high bolsters I went to Walmart and found a seat pad in the very same color that fits nicely. It raises the seat bottom ~ 3/4 inch which is a great improvement. Ed

I have the touring grey/sand colored fabric and it appears high quality but, I don't like the high bolsters I went to Walmart and found a seat pad in the very same color that fits nicely. It raises the seat bottom ~ 3/4 inch which is a great improvement. Ed

Can you post a picture of the seat pad? Automotive or Houswares Dept? Thanks!

So Far, So Good on my "Leather"...Had a 2003 Honda where the seat fabric was replaced 2 times...bleh...never was any good.
Leather is not my 1st choice, hot in summer, cold in winter, but it beats the cloth wearout!

My leather & leatherette are holding up well too.

My leather is holding up nice HOWEVER--
Got 10 bags of mulch and put down the back seats for more room. Got home and when I unloaded the bags I noticed the headrests from the back seats had slightly ripped the pouch pockets from the passenger's seat. Good thing my wife is handy with needle and thread. Having the zippers back there really helped. SO CAUTION-- REMOVE THE BACK HEADRESTS WHEN FOLDING THEM FORWARD-- Lesson learned the hard way. By the way about 15 bags of mulch can fit before it gets ugly! CX5 handled 10 easy.

Got 10 bags of mulch and put down the back seats for more room. Got home and when I unloaded the bags I noticed the headrests from the back seats had slightly ripped the pouch pockets from the passenger's seat. Good thing my wife is handy with needle and thread. Having the zippers back there really helped. SO CAUTION-- REMOVE THE BACK HEADRESTS WHEN FOLDING THEM FORWARD-- Lesson learned the hard way. By the way about 15 bags of mulch can fit before it gets ugly! CX5 handled 10 easy.

Yep... I do that anytime I lower the rear seats. A good warning to all owners.

The high bolsters are one of the first things I noticed during test drive. I'm now very aware of how I get in and out of the car. Try my best to go above it instead of crushing it with my behind. Never had this problem with any previous cars though.

Any idea why they decided to bolster the seats so much in CX-5?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is actually a TSB about this. I thought it was kind of an odd one, but I guess it happens. http://oemdtc.com/13768/front-seat-back-pocket-torn-2013-2015-mazda-cx-5

Very modest bolsters compared to my 2010 Mazda 3. I think of them as the minimum necessary.

Back