Mazda Connect (New Infotainment System)

bagelboy1

:
Mazda CX-5
I want to start a thread to discuss what everyone is expecting from the Mazda Connect that will be in the 2016 Mazda CX-5.

1. What is everyone expecting from the new system?

2. Do you think it resolve the majority of the issues with the NB1 Infotainment System?

3. Does anyone know how this device receives live traffic updates?

4. Is anyone concerned about this system becoming instantly outdated considering it does not allow for updates via wi-fi and there are no plans for it to work with Apple Carplay and Google Auto?

Anybody have any other questions or anything to add?

I want to start a thread to discuss what everyone is expecting from the Mazda Connect that will be in the 2016 Mazda CX-5.

1. What is everyone expecting from the new system?

That it will work as well as the system in my 2013 CX-5. Not sure why/how Mazda messed up the later ones.

1. That it would be very similar / identical to the one in Mazda 3.
2. Yes mostly.
3. Yes.
It does get FM traffic data. This feature is semi useful, partly because not all roads have this data and partly because it is not really integrated into the route planning (or even normal map display while driving).
It might have wifi based method of getting similar data. Don't currently remember if so and how it works.
4. If it is the same as the one in Mazda 3, then wifi updates can be enabled and *is* updateable either through wired ethernet or wifi.

Does it still use low resolution maps with Tom tom?

The present system works but its too small a screen and in the UK you have to pay a yearly fee for "live services" traffic, which only works if you have a good Vodafone signal.

New system has a 7" screen which is what my 2009 Xtrail had, the Xtrail had better resolution, and free traffic. A 8" screen would be even better it would probably make the reversing camera easier to see.

On the new system I would like to see more menus for controlling the car, in particular a mirror system working off the smart phone, and a screen showing what wheels are getting torque on the AWD system.

Last edited:
New system has a 7" screen which is what my 2009 Xtrail had, the Xtrail had better resolution, and free traffic. A 8" screen would be even better it would probably make the reversing camera easier to see.

Was your Xtrails traffic FM based or satellite? My Infiniti (Nissan) requires a SiriusXM NavTraffic subscription for traffic here.

I just recently bought a 2016 CX-5 GT AWD with tech package, and so far the connect works with no problems, display is much better visually then the cartoon like NB1 tom tom i had in my previous 2014 Mazda. Even if you don't use the Nav, and use another selection, like play CD or radio --the unit still shows you where you are by displaying the streets you pass at the top of the screen-no voice just road/street name. I always go 'different roads' in order to test the unit, it recalculates, and gets you where you want to go. In car settings, i saw traffic updates - didn't see anything in the owners manual about it though..so left it alone. The Tom tom was a piece of crap! This connect is also includes in the Mazda 6 so my dealer said. He didn't state 2015 or 2016. But it's touch screen or command center in my CX-5. I think i read somewhere on this forum that the updates would come from Mazda during service visits? The 7 inch screen is sharp and clear compared to the previous unit display. So far, so good! :)

I think i read somewhere on this forum that the updates would come from Mazda during service visits? The 7 inch screen is sharp and clear compared to the previous unit display. So far, so good! :)

Isn't there still a SD card slot to load map data in? If so you should be able to load updates your self. Map data updates will always cost extra.

Yeah, they can be downloaded from mazdahandsfree.com

Hey, joepro, I just started a thread with some Mazda Connect questions I'm hoping you may know. And, yes, the map update process seems to be fairly easy (at least on a PC).

The mazdahandsfree web page has instructions on updating the maps. Updates are now included for 3 years, and can be done once 63 miles have been traveled with the SD card inserted. Emails and SMS text messages are also included in the new connect system for the 2016 CX-5. Good reading.

The mazdahandsfree web page has instructions on updating the maps. Updates are now included for 3 years, and can be done once 63 miles have been traveled with the SD card inserted. Emails and SMS text messages are also included in the new connect system for the 2016 CX-5. Good reading.

It's about time and good to hear they are now including map updates for 3 years.

Just picked up our 2016 GT. I was hoping to be able to gain root access via WIFI like others have explained for the MX3 but I don't have WIFI under Settings>Devices... only bluetooth. There has to be a way to disable not being able to input data when moving and the annoying navigation warning on start up.

Is there anyway to play the radio when the car is off in these cars?

scottjk, you should be able to play the radio by pushing the start button twice WITHOUT putting your foot on the brake to start it.

Radio plays with one push of the start button (no foot on brake). Full use of everything with two pushes (windows, air, etc).

One press is the 'accessory setting', it was that way also in my 2014 GT, no change in the 2016.

I just recently bought a 2016 CX-5 GT AWD with tech package, and so far the connect works with no problems, display is much better visually then the cartoon like NB1 tom tom i had in my previous 2014 Mazda. Even if you don't use the Nav, and use another selection, like play CD or radio --the unit still shows you where you are by displaying the streets you pass at the top of the screen-no voice just road/street name. I always go 'different roads' in order to test the unit, it recalculates, and gets you where you want to go. In car settings, i saw traffic updates - didn't see anything in the owners manual about it though..so left it alone. The Tom tom was a piece of crap! This connect is also includes in the Mazda 6 so my dealer said. He didn't state 2015 or 2016. But it's touch screen or command center in my CX-5. I think i read somewhere on this forum that the updates would come from Mazda during service visits? The 7 inch screen is sharp and clear compared to the previous unit display. So far, so good! :)

Re: the bolded part. Have you found a way to disable this? I have not got around to pulling out the Nav system manual yet. It is like you can't shut off the Nav.

Only had the car for 3 days.
The infotainment seems excellent. I have not fiddled with too much stuff because I haven't had to.

The stereo is probably the best stock stereo I have ever had... WAY better than the Bose in my Altima.
Navigation looked very functional, although I have not had a chance to use.

The dial/knob control thingy works pretty well and I am slowly getting used to it. The menus in some areas are strangely organized, but that is pretty minor. Most people will not do much adjusting of settings once everything is set up the way they like.

Overall, it is a real highlight for the car.

Back