Mazda 2 (2014) Suspension - Cold weather awful noise going over rough road

pipp63

:
Mazda 2
Hi all, I'm new to this forum.

I have a Mazda 2 that when really cold out (< -13C) makes a terrible crunching noise (like an old bed) when driving over bumps/uneven road.
If it's around -13 the noise goes away after 10 minutes of driving. If it's much colder than that it doesn't. The sound is coming from the rear and below. Could this be the sway bar bushings issue as described in a few other posts on the web?

I'm bringing the car to the dealership tomorrow b/c they said to(wow) bring it in when it's cold out (that was last fall).

Has anyone experienced this phenomenon?

Pretty much everyone who lives in cold climates has reported creaking over bumps. Mine does it all the time when it's -20 or worse. I've gotten used to it, and there doesn't seem to be anything actually wrong with the suspension (though I don't know how long it's going to last with all these ruts in the road).

Almost positive 95% of the awful noises up front in the cold is from the upper strut mounts squawking when loaded.

Most coilovers will probably not experience the same thing, but if they reuse the upper mount then it will probably still happen.

In the rear it would likely be from the trailing beam bushings.

Does it sound like the squeaky or creaky noise is out of the rear come from the suspension when driving over uneven road surfaces? Mine did this fall/winter and the local dealership could not figure it out (although there was a lot of snow on the ground when I brought it in to mask the noise.) I removed the rear right shock and mount (where the creak/squeak was coming from) and inspected it. Nothing visually seemed wrong with it but I did smear the upper rear shock mount bushing and flange with brake grease between the joint of it and the rear body (performed 1/28/15). I also sprayed the shock mount and rear torsion beam bushings with silicone lubricant. After installation, I have not had a re-occurrence of the squeaking or creaking noise out of the rear suspension even in -11 degree F weather.

Back