Burning Oil, No leak.

:
2002 Mazda Protege Automatic
I have no idea when it comes to these cars, cant even get around in there. I have a 2002 Mazda Protege5 Automatic that I keep adding oil in every couple weeks, went around 2000 miles after I did my oil change and I had to add around 2 quarts. I havent found any leaks but has a minor smell. My coolant seems to be leaking as well, wasnt sure if that has to do anything with it. Not many reliable answers im getting from people so I thought Id ask on here. I know there is other posts about this same problem but im not able to access it for some reason. Any insight would be helpful. Thank you.

has the car overheated before this all started? what color is your coolant? and what color is your oil? do either look like a chocolate milkshake? do you see any blue smoke, especially in the morning? where is the coolant leaking, under the motor or under the radiator or hoses?

I have no idea when it comes to these cars, cant even get around in there. I have a 2002 Mazda Protege5 Automatic that I keep adding oil in every couple weeks, went around 2000 miles after I did my oil change and I had to add around 2 quarts. I havent found any leaks but has a minor smell. My coolant seems to be leaking as well, wasnt sure if that has to do anything with it. Not many reliable answers im getting from people so I thought Id ask on here. I know there is other posts about this same problem but im not able to access it for some reason. Any insight would be helpful. Thank you.

How many miles does the engine have on it?

What kind of answer are you trying to get compared to other peoples threads?

These engines are known to burn oil eventually, to the point where you don't even need to change it, just add more.

If you want to fix it, get a replacement engine or rebuild yours with new components.

The car hasnt overheated, ive actually ran the car for about a week without noticing I had no coolant. I get cheap coolant(Blue) from autozone. My oil is like a goldish color, but when I see the dipstick its black with a hint of color in it. Havent seen ANY blue smoke, I live in Florida so it was cold this morning and it was smoking for some time actually(White smoke) but then stops after my car warmed up. And as far as my coolant leaking, I have no idea, but you can smell it. My engine has roughly 102,000 miles on it. Im trying to get some ideas on what it could be so I dont have to be a complete idiot talking to the mechanic about it or get ripped off, cant find a reliable mechanic. And I dont have the money to rebuild my engine with new components. Already replaced starter( Which I had to take my intake manifold out to get to ONE bolt), both cv axles, battery and two new wheel bearings... and Ive had the car for 6,000 miles... Still need to replace all shocks. Thanks for getting back to me ASAP, do appreciate that. And its known to burn fast? thats why you dont have to change your oil huh? Never heard that before.

Lol, I have heard of people messing with the odometers of cars in your region quite a bit. You may have well over 102,000 miles. Otherwise your engine was abused by the previous owner (i.e. infrequent oil changes)

Let me clarify, my engine burns so much oil, that before I can hit a change interval (approx, 3000 miles) I would already have fresh oil from all the oil that I had to add due to it burning.

Yeah Ive heard the same. But im third owner, which scared me, and I knew I was going to have some problems, not this many lol. I just got on lunch and discovered some oil around my Trans axle(Correct me if im wrong) and on my cv boot/transmission oil pan on the front driver side. Ive also failed to mention that when I drive my car and i hit 2nd/3rd gear, it makes this weird cracking/pinging(Not ticking) noise. If I step on the gas it goes away and it doesnt make the noise when im slowing up. For some reason I cant post pics, not too sure what it ment by I have to type the URL. I downloaded some pics to my computer but wasnt able to figure it out. And my coolant is like neon green, no clue why I said blue lol.

Last edited:
Back