Intermittent Coil Failure

So how often do you see these engines burning oil? I've done a couple searches and have found a few cases of it. It's odd since most modern engines will run 200k+ before they start burning oil. Do they have faulty oil rings like the Toyota 1ZZ-FE? Especially since this car seems to have been taken care of.. It does have an exhaust, but none of the other rice-ware that usually is installed by a young owner that would've beaten on it.

If mine proves to be consuming a lot of oil I will probably do a quick and dirty ring job with the engine in the car.. I'll probably do the timing belt at the same time.

Last edited:
So how often do you see these engines burning oil? I've done a couple searches and have found a few cases of it. It's odd since most modern engines will run 200k+ before they start burning oil. Do they have faulty oil rings like the Toyota 1ZZ-FE? Especially since this car seems to have been taken care of.. It does have an exhaust, but none of the other rice-ware that usually is installed by a young owner that would've beaten on it.

If mine proves to be consuming a lot of oil I will probably do a quick and dirty ring job with the engine in the car.. I'll probably do the timing belt at the same time.

From what I have read, this is just an outdated engine design even when the car was new. Furthermore, I believe its the oil returns within the ring land of the pistons that get clogged and force oil to pass the rings, resulting in oil burning. This is all just from reading, I have not seen it for myself.

My mom's Dodge Caravan is at 315,000 KM and doesn't burn much, I think it just leaks it out if im honest. Furthermore, there is someone on this forums that has over 400,000kms on these engines and doesn't burn much oil either. It could be climate, but I think its just how careful the owner is with maintenance.

Mine burns enough that I don't really need to change my oil. I will eventually have to change the filter but the oil burning is enough to keep me from climbing under the car. I don't know about your area but in my area I have seen these engines go for as little as $150, so I can't really complain.

From what I have read, this is just an outdated engine design even when the car was new. Furthermore, I believe its the oil returns within the ring land of the pistons that get clogged and force oil to pass the rings, resulting in oil burning. This is all just from reading, I have not seen it for myself.

My mom's Dodge Caravan is at 315,000 KM and doesn't burn much, I think it just leaks it out if im honest. Furthermore, there is someone on this forums that has over 400,000kms on these engines and doesn't burn much oil either. It could be climate, but I think its just how careful the owner is with maintenance.

Mine burns enough that I don't really need to change my oil. I will eventually have to change the filter but the oil burning is enough to keep me from climbing under the car. I don't know about your area but in my area I have seen these engines go for as little as $150, so I can't really complain.

I drive a 94 Camry that has 190k and doesn't burn a drop.. Leaks a little though. A Corolla with almost 300k that doesn't smoke or burn any either.

If the clogged oil rings are a possible cause, I will give some different chemical treatments a try.. I know I've seen a couple instances where some Seafoam/Chemtool cured the Toyota 1ZZ oil burning problem. They have some issues with the oil rings sticking from carbon.

That is a nice looking car for sure. Much better then my white one I bought... You can see my thread I started and see what I am dealing with.

Post up some more pics when you get a chance

That is a nice looking car for sure. Much better then my white one I bought... You can see my thread I started and see what I am dealing with.

Post up some more pics when you get a chance

I was reading your build thread this morning. Your car is coming along great though, a complete 180.

I've made arrangements to get the car in the morning.

Well I got her home. Car isn't quite as nice as I thought, but all in all it's good for the price I paid. Drives good and made the trip home just fine

The bad:
Rust spot on passengers rear fender well, drivers side is clean
Some minor rust specs on roof, can be touched up
Engine has deposits under oil cap, smokes a bunch while cold. Doesn't smoke at all when warmed up. Runs good, loves to rev. Plenty of power.
Has a bad lock solenoid and the power mirrors aren't working.
Car doesn't like to start sometimes, just clicks. Might be the battery terminals
Radio isn't working, but makes noise when press the eject button.

The Good:
It has a power moonroof that works great
Looks like new brake pads all the way around
No ABS or airbag lights
Clean Carfax included with sale
3000 mile warranty included with sale

I unhooked the battery before I left to clear the codes (the CEL was flashing before I cleared them, after installing new coil), and the CEL stayed off on the 90 mile trip home. It came back on after revving the engine in the driveway, and my scanner showed a P0037.

The oil was full before I left and is still full after 90 miles. Used 1/4 tank or so, almost all highway.

It's got a Magnaflow muffler too. It sounds pretty good. Deep and throaty, without any rasp.

Last edited:
Fixed the radio and mirrors. Blown H/CLN fuse.

Cleaning the battery terminals and adding a shim seemed to fix the starting issue. Still seems a little hesitant sometimes though.

Low beam bulbs are completely screwed up.. Drivers side was held in with tape and the passenger by a prayer.. Will probably have to go to a junkyard and get some clips that haven't been fooled with.

My plan for the engine is to dump a quart of Seafoam down the crank case, and some more down each cylinder via the plug hole. Hopefully that will unstick and clean the oil rings so they start working better. I started it up this morning and it smokes heavily for the first 10 minutes, and doesn't smoke a bit after.

Fixed the radio and mirrors. Blown H/CLN fuse.

Cleaning the battery terminals and adding a shim seemed to fix the starting issue. Still seems a little hesitant sometimes though.

Low beam bulbs are completely screwed up.. Drivers side was held in with tape and the passenger by a prayer.. Will probably have to go to a junkyard and get some clips that haven't been fooled with.

My plan for the engine is to dump a quart of Seafoam down the crank case, and some more down each cylinder via the plug hole. Hopefully that will unstick and clean the oil rings so they start working better. I started it up this morning and it smokes heavily for the first 10 minutes, and doesn't smoke a bit after.

Interested to see if the dump of seafoam will do anything for you, leave it over night, don't overdo it and keep us updated.

Back