squeak i need confirmation on

kms1990

:
2011 mazda 3 hatchback GT
i noticed today that in cold about 45 degrees or lower weather when i back out of my driveway and the car has been sitting awhile i hear a squeak from the right rear it seems rythmic with the wheel rolling but cannot tell all that well and braking stops it. no noise when i then go forward on the road. and no noise when backing out of parking spots when the car has been driven within 7 or so hours. and no other noises (except the ones that have always been there i dont worry about) that concern me. it seems like a wheel bearing going bad to me but it being so intermittent i cant really diagnose it well. anyone have any thoughts? go ahead and and do the rear bearings? or any other ideas?

Brake rotors rust up a little bit when sitting if its damp or wet out. No rust develops where the brake pad was in contact with the rotor. The pad has to grind off the surface rust that has grown on the rest of the rotor causing an intermittant noise. After you brake, the rust is gone and no more noise.

well jacked up that wheel and spun it, it made a rubbing sound but did not seem like a dragging caliper or bad bearing(but there is a little layer of rust on rotors from the rain) and the other rear wheel when jacked up made the same sounds. but did not notice it this morning when backing up. it has been cold and rainy the past few days but its warmer and dry this morning, the brake dust shields seem ok and i even jacked up and spun 1 front wheel on the side the noise was coming from and same sound as rears made when they were spun.

ended up being a frozen rear brake caliper slide forcing the pads to ride on the rotor ever so slightly.

Back