Cx-5 vs Santa fe sport

My wife needed a new car and after test driving we wound up with a 2015 Nissan Rouge. While it's lightyears ahead of the cx-5 interms of interior styling and fanciness, it is a complete bore to drive. The pickup sucks and it has the same steering problems that you all were mentioning on the other cars. It feels like you are driving a boring SUV. Our CX-5s are still fun to drive while maintaining the usability of a crossover.

We also test drove the Santa Fe sport and noticed the same things. My wife couldn't tell and honestly wouldn't care if she could tell, but overall she felt the Santa Fe's ride to be harsher then the Rogue. Which is much, much better then the cx-5.

I do wish Mazda would design more exciting interiors though.

Maybe I'm crazy but I prefer the interior of the cx-5 to the rogue. To me the cx-5 looks clean and classy. And the steering wheel looks better IMO

I am permanently scarred by all the smoking Hyundai Excels that were around in the late 80's.

hyundai-excel-gl-photo-364606-s-429x262.jpg

image_100361977_m.jpg

Maybe I'm crazy but I prefer the interior of the cx-5 to the rogue. To me the cx-5 looks clean and classy. And the steering wheel looks better IMO

You're not crazy, it's just a matter of opinion. I think the CX-5 interior would look nice if there were some items of contrast. It is a tad too black, but luckily that can be solved buy picking up a few interior trim pieces on eBay.

Besides their infotainment system I think the rogue is a better choice interior wise, but I'm a sucker for extra LCD screen and the rouge has one in the cluster.

So I drove both cars today. 2014 Hyundai santa fe sport and 2015 mazda cx-5. Santa fe was a bit roomier and felt overall bigger which was nice. However, when it came to actually driving the car, it was no comparison. By no means was the hyundai bad, it was smooth, quite powerful, and overall a pleasure. I noticed the slight correction thing but I think you guys definitely exaggerated on that point. When it came to the mazda, it was so agile and just a joy to drive that I honestly didn't want to give it back. The hyundai had more features for the same price, but I prefer the Mazda.

I think that answers my question. Thanks for the input!

I looked up Santa fe stearing. Found that they have completely re worked the front end from the control arms and bushings to the wheel bearings to a new 32 bit computer for the stearing. Good that they are working on it, but it certainly shows that there is a problem. I to found that a lot of crossover SUVs had more stuff bit the CX 5 was a lot more fun to actually Drive

I looked up Santa fe stearing. Found that they have completely re worked the front end from the control arms and bushings to the wheel bearings to a new 32 bit computer for the stearing. Good that they are working on it, but it certainly shows that there is a problem. I to found that a lot of crossover SUVs had more stuff bit the CX 5 was a lot more fun to actually Drive

So you still trust a company that admits a serious safety issue with electronic steering, and their idea to update is to quicken the computer that is still lightyears behind your brain...even a millisecond delay could lead to your death...I am not joking...I am a motorcycle racer...I don't want computers between me and the ultimate decision to steer...help? sure? control? hell no...Leave the future to prototype car and motorcycle racing...we pedestrians need feel and consistent dead on center feel...

This is all from a company, who resides in a country that forces ALL males at age 19 into military service or you get a 2 year prison sentence. No, not NORTH Korea, SOUTH Korea...

They are still ass backwards in human policy and clearly can't build a decent safe car...

but you go a buy a Hyundai...

I wouldn't want a car with jacked up steering either, but so what abut a whopping two year conscription? They are technically still at war. Other countries have mandatory military service as well. It's better than having 19ish year olds that are not in school, not working, or generally doing nothing for themselves/their future. There is a price for freedom. Can't be any worse than California LOL, the government loves telling you what's best for you there.

This is all from a company, who resides in a country that forces ALL males at age 19 into military service or you get a 2 year prison sentence. No, not NORTH Korea, SOUTH Korea...

Yeah... it's called a "draft". Ever heard of it?

The U.S.A has had the same policy too. Better not buy a Ford or Chevy either.

South Korea is a modern country, quite civilized. If you follow cell phone technology, they are way ahead of the US. They were all on smartphones with high speed data when a flip phone was considered leading edge here.

Ford acknowledges that there is a problem too with their electric steering. In my case with my '12 Focus, they replaced the steering rack...but the problem remained. The dealers in my area refused to acknowledge the problem still existed, blaming it on road crowning - it definitely was NOT road crowning. Their response was "we replaced the steering rack, so it MUST BE CORRECT NOW" A few other people who I spoke to on FocusFanatics.com said their dealers actually replaced the steering rack MULTIPLE TIMES and the problem still remained! I just read recently, a month or so ago, read that Ford was issuing a reprogramming of the steering rack computer to stop this problem. So over 2 years later, they are still struggling with the problem which they clearly know exists.

They are still ass backwards in human policy and clearly can't build a decent safe car...

Dude, most countries actually do that. Switzerland, Italy, Turkey for example.

So you still trust a company that admits a serious safety issue with electronic steering, and their idea to update is to quicken the computer that is still lightyears behind your brain...even a millisecond delay could lead to your death...I am not joking...I am a motorcycle racer...I don't want computers between me and the ultimate decision to steer...help? sure? control? hell no...Leave the future to prototype car and motorcycle racing...we pedestrians need feel and consistent dead on center feel...

Just to be clear. I did not write that I bought one, own one, drove one, recommended one or that I trust them. I wrote that I looked it up and they are working on it and that that proves there is a problem.

BTW Back in the 60s if you drove a US built car you dealt with vague steering that needed constant correction. I didn't like it so I drove Saabs but I will admit that a lot of people did it and lived. Oh and you should have heard the rants I used to get back then about driving a small FWD death trap.

In my opinion, the Santa Fe is not a driver's car, period. Even the Pathfinder, felt much faster and easier to drive.
After driving that and hopped in the CX5, I said loud to the seller that, this is it.
In communism, we had a mandatory military service, for 1-1/2 year. Served on a T-55 tank.

In my opinion, the Santa Fe is not a driver's car, period. Even the Pathfinder, felt much faster and easier to drive.
After driving that and hopped in the CX5, I said loud to the seller that, this is it.
In communism, we had a mandatory military service, for 1-1/2 year. Served on a T-55 tank.
I could tell by the way you type; so where are you from? Not trying to make fun of you, I've lived and traveled different countries myself, just curious.

I am really interested in the mazda cx-5 (wanting a 2016) however i recently started looking at the santa fe sport and walked away impressed!

Anyone know why I should pick the mazda over the hyundai? or vice versa.

Cheers.

I considered Santa Fe Sport before buying CX-5. After reading about sketchy reliability and reading forums about woes, I ruled out kia/hyundai. Their body integrity is terrible and transmissions go out often. Also they got a huge fine for lying about MPG for all their cars. The Kia salesmen hard sell tactics were terrible too.

I'll add that I was also lured by the 10 year Hyundai warranty, though after doing some research I found that many owners said Hyundai fought them on every repair and that it was a total hassle to get them to do anything under warranty. Kind of negated that advantage in my opinion.

I am really interested in the mazda cx-5 (wanting a 2016) however i recently started looking at the santa fe sport and walked away impressed!

Anyone know why I should pick the mazda over the hyundai? or vice versa.

Cheers.
How about this for starters:
http://www.hyundai-forums.com/dm-2013-santa-fe/222665-if-your-engine-went-bad-vote-here.html.
I saw your post in the Hyundai forum. Look up steering, alignment , transmission issues. I owned a 2011 Elantra for 2 years and swore it was the last Hyundai I would ever look at. God awful engineering. Your call in the end. Company constantly replaces bad parts with more bad parts, just my opinion.

Last edited:
Back