Loud suspension squeak when making right turns.

icantshift

:
2002 Protege5 5spd
I haven't really looked in to this issue, just looking for an easy solution. I get a loud squeak (almost sounds like a rusty hinge) when I make right turns. I don't hear the squeak when going over speed bumps or potholes. It only happens when I make right turns, and once it squeaks if I make a left turn I hear a less audible cracking noise. It's hard to tell from inside the cabin but it sounds like it's coming from the rear suspension. The bottom of my car is quite rusty from spending a couple years in Ontario (lots of snow). Any ideas?

Many thanks.

Sounds like front suspension components. If you do mean it's coming from one of the front wheels, then my next question is whether or not it happens when you accelerate while turning right. If yes, then CV half shaft, if not then ball joints.

If you are certain its coming from the back then that would be harder to diagnose.

Does it make this squeaking noise while stopped turning the wheel back and forth, or only while moving?
Will try this tomorrow and get back to you

Sounds like front suspension components. If you do mean it's coming from one of the front wheels, then my next question is whether or not it happens when you accelerate while turning right. If yes, then CV half shaft, if not then ball joints.

If you are certain its coming from the back then that would be harder to diagnose.

Now that I think about it, it's probably coming from the front because when I'm backing out from my driveway I have the steering wheel turned the same way as when I would be making a right turn and I hear the squeak when I bump off the sidewalk. I hear the sound both when I accelerate and turn right and when I'm slowing down and turning right (or going a constant speed).

But does it make the sound if you are not moving and turning the steering wheel? As in, sitting in park or neutral and turn the steering wheel.

If not, go into a parking lot, lock your steering all the way to the right and keep going in circles, does the sound get worse?

Ideally if you make a video that would help.

But does it make the sound if you are not moving and turning the steering wheel? As in, sitting in park or neutral and turn the steering wheel.

If not, go into a parking lot, lock your steering all the way to the right and keep going in circles, does the sound get worse?

Ideally if you make a video that would help.

Tried this today, no sound is heard when turning the wheel at a stop. When travelling in right-turn circles at a constant speed the sound is only heard once. I started turning in a larger circle then heard the sound when I tightened it back up, and could recreate the sound by doing that. Still sound like ball joints?

Tried this today, no sound is heard when turning the wheel at a stop. When travelling in right-turn circles at a constant speed the sound is only heard once. I started turning in a larger circle then heard the sound when I tightened it back up, and could recreate the sound by doing that. Still sound like ball joints?

Nope, not ball joints.

When you say that you only hear it only once every time you initiate a right turn it confuses things a bit. If it was a continuous sound, I would say CV axle, but as you say you only hear it once, it can be a lot of things. Do you have a jack to lift up your car?

I also suggest you take a recording of the sound so we can tell what it sounds like.

Just an update, I fixed the problem by using the "spray the s*** out of everything with wd40" method on all the joints at the rear. No more squeak but I suspect it may be back one day.

Just an update, I fixed the problem by using the "spray the s*** out of everything with wd40" method on all the joints at the rear. No more squeak but I suspect it may be back one day.

Thanks for the update, and a temporary remedy :)

I really wonder what it is if its in the back. There is not many suspension components there, but I would suspect something on the right side. If it ever comes back see if you can spray one part at a time until it goes away.

Back