Who intends to keep their CX-5 long term?

The rear diff oil at 30K miles.

If the vehicle is operated primarily under any of the following conditions, replace the rear differential oil at every 48,000 km (30,000 miles).
a) Towing a trailer or using a car-top carrier
b) Driving in dusty, sandy or wet conditions
c) Extended periods of idling or low speed operation
d) Repeated short trips of less than 16 km (10 miles)

That looks pretty easy... for those who have never done it make sure you can remove the fill bolt first before attempting to drain it.

[Page 6-8]

Total miles a car is good for has a lot to do with the type of miles. 300,000 miles on a car that is driven mostly on long trips is likely equivalent to 100,000 on a car that is in heavy stop and go traffic with short trips.

I expect to have it for 10 years, maybe a little longer with a bit less than 200,000km on it before it's done. Really depends on how year 8 and on treats me ;\

Well I'm 72 now and I'm hoping my 2015 CX-5 will get at least 10 years out of me, not the other way around.

Well I'm 72 now and I'm hoping my 2015 CX-5 will get at least 10 years out of me, not the other way around.

You are the same age as my father. My mom & dad have pondered getting a CX-5 to replace their old '93 Isuzu Trooper. Their first Mazda was an '87 626 LX and then they picked up a '10 Mazda 3 hatchback.

You are the same age as my father. My mom & dad have pondered getting a CX-5 to replace their old '93 Isuzu Trooper. Their first Mazda was an '87 626 LX and then they picked up a '10 Mazda 3 hatchback.

I say go for it. I came from a 2010 Mazda 5 and we are really enjoying the CX-5.

I've had my 2003 Protege for almost 12 years. I'm hoping to keep my next vehicle for at least 10.

Going to try for long term. I've had a problem always wanting a different vehicle and trading every couple years or less. I've already kept this one for 2.5 years so off to a good start.

Putting +/- 100 miles a day on the CX5 and longer on trips the miles add quickly. 150k is the minimum I hope for.

Since my 2014 CX-5 has been in the shop for about a month and a half so far, probably not much longer after I get it back, if and when I get it back. Car will shut off randomly when full throttle. Right now, according to dealer, there is no fix,,,,,,,

I typically go 7 to 10 years on a vehicle. I've had 2 vehicles over 17 years and well over 250,000 miles. This one looks like a keeper. It amazes me at how few problems are reported regarding engine and transmission problems, considering how relatively short a time this model has been out. It's my first Mazda and I'm definitely impressed with the brand and what they did with their engine design.

I usually keep my vehicles 7-10 years and hope to do the same with this one

I never had a car that I keep more than 3 years. I like to drive/own different brand of cars. In some reasons I think I am bonded with Mazda because I had owned 3 Mazda in only 10 years of driving. My first Mazda was 93 Rx7 R1. And sold it for an Audi S4 because of AWD. Actually just pulled a trigger for a 96 M Miata last year as my project car. I love all Japanese cars from 90s'. To OP, I think I will keep this car for 5 to 7 years depends on how much trouble it causes. I wish SkyActiv=Good reliability. Well, only time can tell.

Maybe for 6 months to a year after my 3 year finance.

Rattles, cabin quality, extremely poor Mazda dealer attitude, especially towards any TSB makes this my last Mazda. CRV, VRS or Leon next probably.

I like the CX-5 but I don't see myself having it long-term. I'll definitely be looking around for other vehicles when I finish paying off the loan.

I may keep mine but it all depends on my situation at the time. I have no doubt that the power-train can go 300,000 miles plus. Even the cheapest cars can do 300,000 miles if they are taken care of and the recommended maintenance is done properly. It's the body integrity and rust that usually kills the car in my experience. Take my Tundra for example. It drove and ran just as good as it did when new but the frame was shot and there was rust coming through everywhere. I kept that truck for 11 years too.

The only thing that may drive me to sell and move on is noise, which the CX5 has plenty of. I do a lot of highway driving and as I get older I'm wanting something quieter. I'm hoping the next set of tires quells the noise to more tolerable levels.

It's the body integrity and rust that usually kills the car in my experience. Take my Tundra for example. It drove and ran just as good as it did when new but the frame was shot and there was rust coming through everywhere.

The two layer zinc based primer and modern paint of the CX-5 is much more corrosion resistant than your Tundra. No comparison.

I kept my 2005 Tribute for 9.5 years/95,000 miles (fully loaded/leather/sunroof), but needed enough work that I could get trade in for the same amount. I am loving my 2015 CX-5 GT AWD (fully loaded), and I hope to keep this one for 10 years too!

7 years is when I sell.
Selling sooner and you aren't getting you moneys worth.
Selling later and you risk paying big repair bills.
Its much easier to sell a car while its still in good running condition than one run into the ground.

Back