Who intends to keep their CX-5 long term?

Kedis82ZE8

'15 CX-5 AWD GT w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
Who intends to keep their CX-5 long term? I expect to keep my CX-5 for at least 10 years irrespective of mileage.

I realize some get bored with their cars and replace them every 3-5 years. I try to get at least 10 years out of my cars before replacing. I still have a 19 year old beater Ford Explorer 5.0L AWD I bought new and mainly use for towing at this point.

I like keeping them 7 years. It's long paid off and still has decent trade in value. Maintenance tends to be more involved after then too.

I'm like you Kedis82ZE8, I keep them for as long as I feel safe driving them. It's not as long here as elsewhere in the world, with salt and abrasives on the road for nearly 5 months a year. I still managed to keep my rust bucket Protege 5 for 11 years.

I usually keep my cars for 10 years and expect to do the same with our CX5.

Goal 300,000 miles.

Not sure if the Sky-Active engine ideas will allow it to survive that long. A couple of mm narrower main and rod journals with 13:1 compression. 13:1 compression on 87 Octane requires a fine balancing act. Direct injection (from other forums) seems to increase oil/fuel contamination. Little bit concerned about thin oil (0-20W) for mpg's. Might go to 5-20W after 60K miles.

Little bit concerned about thin oil (0-20W) for mpg's. Might go to 5-20W after 60K miles.

Molybdenum has excellent extreme pressure protection and it burnishes into wear surfaces providing protection even before the oil arrives. 5W20 oil takes longer to arrive during a cold start so I would avoid it unless you live in a very temperate climate. Use the Mazda 0W20 with molybdenum if you have longevity concerns.

Use the Mazda 0W20 with molybdenum if you have longevity concerns.

That's the plan for at least the first 60k miles. The manual allows Mexico to use 5-20W. While I don't live in Mexico I don't live in the NWT either. Just about smack dab in the middle, 40 miles in from the Pacific. I understand the need for thinner oil to get to tight tolerances while cold. But really, 0?

We have a Scanguage for the Escape I'd like to mount up to the CX-5 to get engine temps and maybe oil pressure but Scanguage doesn't seem to have any codes...

MikeM, care to talk about hypermiling the CX-5 in another thread?

Last edited:
In all probability I'll keep my Mazda until she's got about a 100K on her, assuming no major problems develop, or, my vehicle needs change. I don't just get bored, and, swap cars. I've got one car in the fleet that's 67 years old ( have owned it 4 years now), and another CUV besides the Mazda that's only got about 45K on it. I won't be visiting car dealers for a long, long time.

Regards:
Oldengineer
15 Mazda CX-5 Touring
11 M-B GLK 350 4Matic
48 Chevy Fleetmaster 2 DR Town Sedan

I understand the need for thinner oil to get to tight tolerances while cold. But really, 0?

That "0W" can be misleading. Keep in mind that it only applies to a cold oil and when the oil is cold a 0W20 oil has more viscosity than a 30W oil does when it's up to operating temperature. So it offers more than enough protection against high pressure. The number that matters from a protection standpoint is the second (hot) number. The cold number is generally better as low as possible (within practical limitations).o

MikeM, care to talk about hypermiling the CX-5 in another thread?

Wow, that was out of the blue!

Why, do you want to talk about hypermiling in another thread?

Molybdenum has excellent extreme pressure protection and it burnishes into wear surfaces providing protection even before the oil arrives. 5W20 oil takes longer to arrive during a cold start so I would avoid it unless you live in a very temperate climate. Use the Mazda 0W20 with molybdenum if you have longevity concerns.

I intend to keep using the Mazda moly exclusively. If they should ever stop carrying it for some reason I hear this Eneos moly oil compares well.

http://www.eneos.us/product/1

I'm like you Kedis82ZE8, I keep them for as long as I feel safe driving them. It's not as long here as elsewhere in the world, with salt and abrasives on the road for nearly 5 months a year. I still managed to keep my rust bucket Protege 5 for 11 years.

Mazda has a rust problem stigma on other vehicle forums.Some on this forum have had rust issues.
I hope the newer models don't have the same rust problem.

Fortunately salt is not commonly used here WA state.

EDIT: My wife and I had a '96 Protege that we held onto for about 10 years. It did not have any noticeable rust on it when we sold it back in '07.

Fortunately salt is not commonly used here WA state.

EDIT: My wife and I had a '96 Protege that we held onto for about 10 years. It did not have any noticeable rust on it when we sold it back in '07.

Interesting that no salt is used in WA.
Salt is a cheap way for cities and towns to use on ice..

Mazda has a rust problem stigma on other vehicle forums.Some on this forum have had rust issues.

Amen to that.

After two years, bubbles were already appearing in the paint around the wheel wells on the Protege5. I had friends in a similar situation, so it wasn't just mine, just the very harsh conditions an bad paint. I had it repainted under warranty after 4 years, and at 11 the wheel wells were perforated and the bumper was falling off the frame because of rust.

I'm now very close to two years of ownership on my CX-5, and unlike my P5, I see no signs of rust anywhere. So I'm already ahead and I have no doubt I will be able to keep this one at least as long.

CX-5's, even the first models available in 2012, are thoroughly modern cars in their design and manufacture. They have some of the best rust protection in the industry including a dual layer galvanization process on panels (dual layer of zinc coating).

No need to lose any sleep over corrosion concerns.

Goal 300,000 miles.

Not sure if the Sky-Active engine ideas will allow it to survive that long. A couple of mm narrower main and rod journals with 13:1 compression. 13:1 compression on 87 Octane requires a fine balancing act. Direct injection (from other forums) seems to increase oil/fuel contamination. Little bit concerned about thin oil (0-20W) for mpg's. Might go to 5-20W after 60K miles.

Will not happen 300K. Those aren't 1995 Camry. Period.

But, I hope I am wrong.

Also, you may want to include AT fluid in your plans.

Oh ye of little faith.

I can easily see these superb engines/chassis going 300,000 miles (that's just 30,000 miles a year for 10 years). Of course that will necessitate wheel bearing replacement, suspension bushing replacements and of course multiple brake jobs, etc.

But there is no reason to doubt the engine and transmission is good for it.

Thank goodness cars keep improving. The CX-5 has better undercoating and paint technology than a 1995 Camry, the engine is machined to higher tolerances and has better thermal management and lubrication due to more advanced engineering during the design and testing phases. These cars are built in Japan to very exacting specifications on assembly lines fitted with the latest equipment and practices.

I plan on trying for no less than 10 years/150k miles. Knock on wood!

I had only just hit 125k on my '05 Mazda Tribute when I sold it, but I was not the first owner (bought at around 38k) and therefore did not do ALL of the maintenance.

But, I hope I am wrong.

Also, you may want to include AT fluid in your plans.

It will get all routine maint. plus immediate attention on any developing issues. Our '06 Escape Hybrid has over 250,000 miles and don't see an end in sight yet. I do all routine maint. and repairs that I don't need $30,000 diagnostic equipment to do. Had a drive-in oil place do my oil once on an F150 (well used woods truck 265K). Of course they cross threaded the drain plug. That's why I do my own, can't blame anyone else!

I'm not knocking the Sky-Activ stuff. When we were looking at the CX-5 I was impressed with Mazda integrating proven hot-rod ideas in the design.

Thinking a good goal is 300k. We shall see.

Last edited:
Back