Knock sound going into 5th gear

Targaryen420

:
2002 Mazda Protege5
So, i was driving home today, and i put my protege5 into fifth gear, and i heard a shallow knocking sound, maybe a rod or something, but thats what i heard. What is this from? I want to make sure its not a problem later down the road.

Thank you.

You need to be more specific on when this happens. You didn't even mention where the sound was coming from.

Do you mean that the sound appeared as soon as the 5 th gear was engaged? Or after you have already engaged 5th and you give it gas?

Is the knocking sound consistent with the engine rpm or is it just 1 knock when you put it in gear?

Try shifting too early in a lower gear and go up a hill, do you great the same sound?

Well, to be precise, i took the car into 5th gear, and when i put the car into N, thats when i heard it. I also heard the sound right under my car, under the stick. i wasn't really watching my RPMs but i would guesstimate 2220-2400 RPM.

Well, to be precise, i took the car into 5th gear, and when i put the car into N, thats when i heard it. I also heard the sound right under my car, under the stick. i wasn't really watching my RPMs but i would guesstimate 2220-2400 RPM.

I don't know if you are curious why no one is answering you, and I don't mean to be rude, however your description is as clear as smoke. You need to tell us specific conditions, such as "when the shifter slides into 5th at 2000 rpm, I hear a single knock coming from the passenger side wheel area." OR "When i go into 5th and let off the clutch at a low RPM, I hear a constant knocking coming from the engine, if i press the gas harder, it gets louder, etc. etc."

Back