Washer Fluid Doesn't Spray

SpeedRacer500

:
2003 Mazda Protege 5/ 2.0L 4-cyl./ Hatchback
My washer fluid ran out a few days ago and I refilled it with cold weather fluid, but nothing is coming out of the nozzles of both front and rear. The second day I pressed it to wash my windshield but nothing came out. I turned the ignition key to battery mode and I heard the motor/pump then...but now the motor/pump doesn't make a sound. I checked the nozzles for any residue, but they're clear of that. I tried unplugging the tube under the hood and it seems clear of any residue as well. Keep in mind, it has been down to 9 Degrees for the past couple of days but the washer fluid isn't frozen.

My question is, could it be that the motor/pump stopped working? If so, is there a video that I can watch to get a better idea of what needs to be done before I take it to my mechanic?

The fluid may be frozen in the line.
30's today in NJ.Should thaw if that's the problem.

Most likely frozen in the lines. Its been between -10 and 5 in ND here and my lines are frozen so at 9 degrees id assume you are in the same boat.

Have you waxed you car lately? Maybe the wax clogged up the sprayer. Even if you looked, try poking a sewing needle in there.

Last edited:
A few months after I got my car I tired to use the washer fluid. Nothing came out.
After a few weeks of forgetting and trying again, I finally decided to take a look.
At first i couldn't find the tank and pump...
So i traced the hoses from the jets back to an empty spot in the wheel well where they dead ended in space.
My car was previously in a front end crash or two, and in one of them the tank must have been smashed and never replaced!

Maybe check fuse if it has one? Sounds electrical now since you don't hear the pump. Good luck, at least yours is all still there!

If it were me I'd put a couple of shots a gas line antifreeze in the washer fluid.

Get the "Good stuff",... Isopropyl alcohol works better than methanol.

You may have frozen the impellor too.

I had the little hose fall off the pump once. I just cut a quarter inch off the end and stuck it back on.

The reservoir is behind the splash shield with the two little pumps right there.
( not too hard to get to)

mine wasn't working two days ago on the driver side. It sat out in the sun for the day (even though it was really cold), and that took care of it. WOrks fine now

Back