Horrible grind when clutch pushed in between gears.

joelMBrookz

:
2004 mazda rx8
I have a 04 rx8
Tranny replaced month ago with used one.
Before replaced had same problem

I can shift in first soon as i goto shift into 2nd i get rpms to 3500 i press clutch in and theres like a grind when the clutch is in. Than i put it in second than same when u shift 2-3 3-4 but quiet after those gears.

Anyone? ???

It's the synchronizer. Common problem. In fact, I've been limping mine along, letting the RPMs fall to get into second for over a year now and just Monday it finally went and no more use of second gear.

I'll be picking up another transmission and just like you it's a used unit, so unless it's miraculously in the car and you're able to drive it first, you'll never know until it's in. Luckily for me the place I'm getting it from has three of them, it has a warranty and I can R&R an RX8 transmission in less than two hours.

Syncros? I can shift into gear fine , im thinking pilot or throwout bearing since only grind when clutch in and between gears

Syncros? I can shift into gear fine , im thinking pilot or throwout bearing since only grind when clutch in and between gears

Wait, so it only happens in neutral with the clutch depressed?

Ok say im in first , rev it to 4000 to shift i push in clutch and it grinds only when cluctch is down tho , i can shift fine.

And it cannot be heard at idle or lower RPMs?

Then it's pointing to a ToB on it's way out. Did you not install a new clutch set when installing the transmission?

The car is there now i told him maybe syncros. But u saying bearing so should i see about getting a new clutch set?

Yeah, well, there you go. That's likely the culprit.

Back