Anyone ever needed to fill up the OEM battery with distilled water?

hp79

:
Mazda, CX-5 GT 2014
I know the battery is supposed to be a no-maintenance item, but there's a window on the side that shows how much liquid is inside. I tried to look at the level but I couldn't distinguish the liquid from the plastic shell. Maybe it was too dark.
Does anyone have any experience replenishing the water inside the OEM battery?

My battery's no load voltage sits close to 12.0V after a week in the garage, and that seems kind of low.
I think my dash cam that was recording on standby mode (with a power cut-off device on low voltage) was cycling the battery too much and only after a year I'm seeing lower voltages. I never experienced any problems yet as it doesn't get too cold in Oregon, but I was getting worried about the battery life since it's not even a AGM, so I disabled standby-recording.

Remove the tops of the battery and see if the water is up to the top - just below the holes. If not, add distilled water. I've had to do this a few times over the years, although not very often.

A cheap $2.99 bulb filler from HF makes job a lot easier.

image_12763.jpg

really? these aren't "maintenance free" batteries these days??

Even a maintenance free flooded lead acid battery can become low on electrolyte if it's charged at the wrong voltage, over-charged or lives in a very hot climate. Problem is, there is no way to add water if necessary. So, it's better to have that option.

But with a properly functioning charging system, the battery in the CX-5 is unlikely to have the electrolyte level drop low enough to expose plates unless it's being hooked up to a poorly regulated charger or run extensively in super heated temperatures. I live in the PNW so I don't worry about it.

I've never had to top off any of mine either. I use AGMs in my power sport equipment. A couple that are 7-8 years old that still work fine.

I wish Mazda used AGMs, but it's probably not needed and they wanted to save cost where ever they can. I tried looking mine with a flashlight and still couldn't see it. I think one day I can unscrew the tops for each cell and check. I just wanted to check since I've been cycling the battery more than normal from the dash cam's standby mode recording.

I wish Mazda used AGMs, but it's probably not needed and they wanted to save cost where ever they can.

With the exotic 4 into 2 into 1 header, the high pressure direct injection fuel system, computer controlled variable valve timing, precision electronic steering system and extensive use of high strength steels in the rigid chassis, it does not appear they tried to save money wherever possible. I'm sure I forgot a number of expensive standard inclusions too. But if they had to save $20 by using a standard flooded wet cell, I can see why it makes sense.

With the exotic 4 into 2 into 1 header, the high pressure direct injection fuel system, computer controlled variable valve timing, precision electronic steering system and extensive use of high strength steels in the rigid chassis, it does not appear they tried to save money wherever possible. I'm sure I forgot a number of expensive standard inclusions too. But if they had to save $20 by using a standard flooded wet cell, I can see why it makes sense.

Of course they will save money wherever they can. What company doesn't want to save cost? Those expensive parts you mentioned are all part of the selling features that help the car sell well. Better performance, better gas mileage, good safety cage. Battery is not something that they would really need to upgrade, as long as it's good enough and starts the car for X years. Small alternator? Tires? They often go with the cheaper suppliers with same size. The bean counters have big influence on the final product.

Back