Looking into getting an MSP (Requesting opinions!!!)

:
2003 Mazda Protege5
So there is a Mazdaspeed Protege that has significantly low mileage and appears to be in great condition and is mostly stock.
(Link here: http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/cto/4801513443.html)

Obviously if i decided to go out an purchase it, id go and test drive, look for typical signs of misuse and everything, etc. However this is where you guys can give me your opinions on what to do.

I currently own a Protege5 and it has just under 110k miles on it and has the basic CAI and CBE on it. Its due for a timing belt change and possibly mounts as well, and this summer i almost purchased a used turbo kit from a member here but decided not to due to funding and time to complete the project. My eventual plans are to own a WRX but due to my age and the WRX being what it is, it is hard to find stock low mileage and not abused ones, as well as insurance would be very high id think.

So my questions are:

Should i buy this MSP since it is already boosted and its the same motor as the P5 so i wouldnt have to relearn anything?

Or

Should i just keep the P5 and either boost that eventually or just save and wait for the WRX later in life?

I guess it could be a craving, but the FSDE leaves much to be desired as far as power, and the MSP gets enough to be a bit more peppy. Its no dragster but thats not what im looking for so. Also id trust an MSP that came from the factory boosted versus my handiwork so.

Any and all opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Man for that price you can buy a motor and get it built on the P5 and a good amount of transmission work done. Plus there is a Hiboost turbo kit for sale on the Facebook group. If it was my choice I would probably save though to get a wrx later lol. That's my opinion though.

Man for that price you can buy a motor and get it built on the P5 and a good amount of transmission work done. Plus there is a Hiboost turbo kit for sale on the Facebook group. If it was my choice I would probably save though to get a wrx later lol. That's my opinion though.

+1 to saving for a WRX later lol

We have a Facebook group? I only knew of our page and the Team Pro5 page haha. Also the WRX (or Legacy GT for that matter) are honestly what I truly want, but i figured maybe a decent MSP could satisfy my boost craving for a bit since I know the engine and chassis so much because of the P5, and that by no means is the MSP boring haha.

I guess id have a hard time driving something different though, something about the Laser Blue and the shape of the P5 are just so hard to get over.

Also, I agree that the 7k could be dumped into building the whole car up, its just personally I do not trust my handiwork, and i do not know of anywhere near that could do it for me and or tune it properly in the end. Also with the mileage it has (110k i know thats low relatively speaking) would it be a good idea to build it up still?

Last edited:
Back