painting my wing on my P5

:
03 Protege 5
Hey guys,

I went ahead and watched a bunch of youtube videos on painting your car to the point where i became an expert(Sarcasm). I decided to give it a try since the clear coat on my P5 has burned out. These first picture is what it looked like with Plasti dip as a cover up for how ugly it looked. It didnt look too bad but I wanted to try and paint it.

Supplies:
220 Grit Sand Paper
400 Grit Wet/Dry Sand Paper
800 Grit Wet/Dry Sand Paper
1200 Grit Wet/Dry Sand Paper
2000 Grit Wet/Dry Sand Paper
Bondo
Dupli-Color Match paint (Spray Can)
2 in one Filler Primer (Spray Can)
Clear Coat (Spray Can)

Here you can see when I started Peeling off the plasti dip to show the paint that was really underneath. I had previously wet sanded it with 2000 grit thinking the clear coat was just grime that had accumulated over the years. Even after buffing it with compound you can see some of the paint was still good but the clear coat was messed up.

I took off the wing and removed the tail light to scuff up every part of paint there was on the part.

This is what it looked like once i had them separated to just the part i wanted to paint

Im going to upload more pictures in a bit.

Once I pulled everything apart I went ahead and used 400 Grit to scuff up all the untouched paint. I also took some bondo to a small dip i had on the wing (Didn't take pictures). afterwards i used the 220 grit to sand down the bondo to a somewhat even level and then turned to the 800 Grit. I feathered out the bondo to transition smoothly. I went ahead and used the 800 Grit to wet sand the rest of the wing for good paint adhesion. Here it is once I had cleaned it and prepped it for paint.

I kind of just wanted to see how it would turn out so i did it at home. If it comes out looking well i'll probably do it at my office warehouse to keep any debris from falling in the paint. I did about 4 coats of the primer, one just a light mist and then the other 3 a little heavier for better coverage. Here it is once i finished doing the filler primer. If I wanted to do a better job i probably would have dried sand it to even it out and then do another few coats of primer to fill in any small scuffs left by the sanding.

I let it sit for about a half hour before I used the dupli-color paint to get the color on the wing. I tried taking a picture but this is what it looks like rough once the paint was added and before the clear coat. You can kind of see the metal flakes that are in the paint.

I thought this topic would have gotten a bit more input from people.

Here is my wing after i applied about 5 coats of clear. I wanted extra coatings since i was just rushing it i knew i'd have to do a 2000 Grit wet sand and cutting compound afterwards. You can see the metallic flakes from the paint.

Here is what it looks like placed back on my car. The clear coat dry to the touch after about 30 minutes so i put the wing back on however it was still soft. I left my finger print in the clear coat when installing the wing back on to my car. Im going to give it about a week or more so it hopefully fully cures before i do the wet sanding and compound. This whole process has been a lot easier than I had expected and for rushing it i feel it came out looking pretty nice. I might tackle my front bumper and hood soon. Those are all full of chipped paint due to rocks and stuff.

Back