Are Mazda dealer interval maintenance worth it?

dmt_1985

:
2015 Mazda CX-5
I just bought a 2015 CX-5 touring and it's my first new vehicle purchase. I want to keep up on maintenance meticulously, but when possible would like to do the work myself. In your guys' opinions, are the dealer offered interval maintenance packages worth what they charge? Are there any pointers you guys can give me on things I should be keeping up on? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan

From a guy which prefers *not* doing it on my own, I think you can definitely do most of the regular maintenance yourself for much less and with typically better quality, because you care about your car. In particular:
* oil change: you can get the best oil for your vehicle (Mazda synthetic with Moly) and change it yourself, perhaps with Fumoto valve.
* engine air filter, cabin filter: change it when it really needs changing and save a lot in the process.
* Tire rotation: do it yourself and clean the wheels from the inside while at it!
* Top all fluids.

However, if you are worried you will damage the vehicle, e.g. for lack of experience etc., or perhaps you don't have the time, then take it a the dealer you trust most.

Last edited:
Go find a good independent shop if you choose not to do it yourself (DIY should be your first choice though). They will nearly always be cheaper than the dealer.

I am a DIYer but, I also feel it is good to build a good repore with your dealer. Let them do the first and second oil/filter change and respectfully refuse any addition work not indicated in your owners manual. After that, do all you can or find an independent or stick with the dealer. ed

Oil changes are free for life from the dealer. Just don't let them talk you into tire rotation and other maintenance items you can DIY.

Don't know how this works in the US but you need to decide what impact non-OEM servicing would have on your warranty. Also if there are any TSBs or software updates etc for the engine or the ancillaries will you get these from an independent? I always choose to use the main dealer while the vehicle is under warranty. At the end of the warranty, well, that's completely different.......

If you keep receipts for services done and for oil/filters purchased you are OK with warranty. Just keep careful records with cost, dates etc. Ed

That depends on your dealer. And nothing is free. You're paying for it somewhere.

Free is free it's a lifetime promotion from Castrol. Castrol sends me a check and it turn it over to the dealer. I paid nothing extra for this in the price of the car. As I stated they get you if you want air filters changed or tires rotated etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the US... I believe the ability to service your own vehicle as long as you keep receipts falls under the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act

We have similar laws in the UK but I reiterate that the independents won't have the software updates, TSBs etc. the other thing that is affected over here is when somebody tries to make a claim outside the warranty period e.g. Gearbox failure six months after the warranty expires. In many reported cases the OEM dealer has, as a minimum and as a matter of "goodwill", made a contribution to the replacement cost since the owner can point to the vehicle having been maintained not only to the schedule but by the dealer. In those cases where people have chosen to service their vehicles outside the dealer network (whilst under warranty) the dealers have consistently refused to get involved or contribute anything.
At the end of the day you make your own choice but over here very few people have their cars serviced outside the dealer networks whilst under warranty. However once the warranty expires it's a different story altogether.

Not much really needs to be done anymore. Here in NJ dealers have great pricing on oil changes / tire rotations and they use Mazda oil filters. You just need to deal with them trying to get you to do everything under the sun. Cabin and engine filters are easy (even I have done them). Go by what the manual says / not the dealer for intervals. The other stuff like brakes, coolant and brake fluid are up to you - dealer or independent. Since I save so much on oil changes at the dealer I figure paying a little more for other stuff is a wash. While the car is under warranty the dealer can check and fix almost anything at no charge. Of course some dealers are idiots and I would not trust them with my bicycle let alone my car. But then again you can say the same about some independents.

Back