Can i get 17 inch wheels on a Grand Touring?

shu4040

:
mazda cx 5
So looking at a buying a new CX -5 and would like the leather interior. This forces me to get up to the grand touring. I don't see the benefit, and see some disadvantages to the 19 inch v. 17 inch wheels.

Is there anyway to get a grand touring with the stock 17, or vice versa get a touring with leather inside?

If i'm an idiot on anything, please feel free to correct.

Thanks

The dealer may swap the wheels and tires from a touring model for you. Doesn't hurt to ask.

The 19'' wheels, although an aesthetic choice, was a must for me. The car to me looks funny with such puny 17" wheels on the Touring model. Ride with the 19" is most likely harsher, but worth it for the looks in my opinion.

As for the leather, I could take it or leave it - makes no difference to me. Some people however love leather and others love cloth. That is all personal preference.

It should be relatively easy to find a set of take-off 17s on the internet and sell your 19s the same way (or on Craigslist).

It should be relatively easy to find a set of take-off 17s on the internet and sell your 19s the same way (or on Craigslist).

Agreed. I bought a set of OEM 17" wheels on ebay that I put my winter tires on. I swap them spring/fall. To me, the 19's handle really well while the 17's feel "squishy" going around corners, but that is probably more due to the tires themselves (all season vs. snows) than the size. But in theory, the 19's with a shorter sidewall should handle better than 17's which will have a taller sidewall.

Is there anyway to get a grand touring with the stock 17, or vice versa get a touring with leather inside?

I wanted leather seats as well but wanted to avoid all the disadvantages of the 19" wheels. I didn't want to hassle trying to find a set of 17" wheels I could swap for so I settled on the cloth seats. Glad I did. I don't miss the leather at all and am finding I actually prefer the cloth temperature wise, both summer and winter. Of course only the leather offers heated seats but the initial sit down is so much warmer with cloth so I'm not missing the seat heat as much as I thought I would. And after 2+ years, the cloth still looks brand new.

If you decide you need the leather, by all means figure out a way to swap out those 19" wheels. Or, depending on your location, maybe buy a set of 17" wheels with snow tires. That way your 19" tires will last nearly twice as long and you won't have to experience the limited selection/high prices as often.

To me, the 19's handle really well while the 17's feel "squishy" going around corners, but that is probably more due to the tires themselves (all season vs. snows) than the size. But in theory, the 19's with a shorter sidewall should handle better than 17's which will have a taller sidewall.

In practice, the 17's will not feel squishy if you have a good handling tire on there, properly inflated, instead of squishy snow tires.

After years of driving dedicated winter tires, I finally found one that doesn't feel squishy on bare pavement, Goodyear IceGrip WRT's. Try them out. They are certainly not a sport tire but I think 99% of drivers would not describe them as "squishy". Very fun to rail the corners, wet or dry.

I like the heated leather seats ( it is 5 degrees F today ). And I like the look of the GT. You could compromise and get a set of 18 inch wheels and tires. Get the right size tire and your speedo will be correct.

So looking at a buying a new CX -5 and would like the leather interior. This forces me to get up to the grand touring. I don't see the benefit, and see some disadvantages to the 19 inch v. 17 inch wheels.

If i'm an idiot on anything, please feel free to correct.

Thanks

I test drove 19" for 2 days and I got 17". I did not like 19" in terms of car handling.

You can ask the dealer to swap, but I think you'll hear "No"

You can sell 19" with tires right away and purchase custom 17" or factory ones. There are plenty of great 3rd party rims to chose from, just take a look at 'show me your wheels thread'

eBay has some wheels as well. If you want the leather, you can deal with the wheels.

thanks all for the discussions. still thinking about which way i'm going to go with this. the main driver for the leather was that i have a dog and the dog hair in my current cloth back seat is brutal clean up.

My girlfriend has a Touring with 3400 miles. We'll trade the 17"s with your 19"s :)

thanks all for the discussions. still thinking about which way i'm going to go with this. the main driver for the leather was that i have a dog and the dog hair in my current cloth back seat is brutal clean up.

I have the cloth seats and a German Shepherd who sheds a ton and I can assure you it's just as difficult to get the hair out of these seats. I try to fully cover the backseat area (seats are folded down when the dog travels with us) with an old king-sized sheet and this reduces the hair that actually gets on the seats. But, he sheds so much that there's always hair floating around in the air and landing everywhere! Leather may be better but I'd still want to cover those up to avoid inadvertent (but unavoidable) claw scratches! I really just resign myself to having hair everywhere and try to keep it vacuumed often.

I had bad luck with leather in a previous vehicle. My dog managed to slit the leather with her claws, and, it cost me $200 to get the back seat repaired. With my CX-5 Touring, I've equipped the back seat with a quilted dog pad that covers both the seat bottom and back completely. My Bearded Collie does just fine with the pad. When the pad gets dirty, we just run it through the washer and dryer to clean it.

Regards:
Oldengineer

Eh I haven't been carting the dog around as often in the new cx-5 (I used to put him in to go to fast food and stuff, errands where I wasn't getting out of the car), bit I've always been ok with just lowering the seat. I spend enough time windows down most hair just blows out. One time the dog did put a little hold in the armrest but w/e it was barely noticeable. The thing that pissed me off was he started putting his paw over the door and put small scratches on the paint. And he manages to push the window button down sometimes. With the new car he only rides if I am taking him somewhere specific.

Eh I haven't been carting the dog around as often in the new cx-5 (I used to put him in to go to fast food and stuff, errands where I wasn't getting out of the car), bit I've always been ok with just lowering the seat. I spend enough time windows down most hair just blows out. One time the dog did put a little hold in the armrest but w/e it was barely noticeable. The thing that pissed me off was he started putting his paw over the door and put small scratches on the paint. And he manages to push the window button down sometimes. With the new car he only rides if I am taking him somewhere specific.

This is exactly what's happened with me, too. Used to take the dog almost everywhere, now he only gets to go for rides if he actually has go somewhere!

Used to take the dog almost everywhere, now he only gets to go for rides if he actually has go somewhere!

I've seen this a lot. I think it's mostly because puppies/young dogs are much more cute than older dogs.

But "new car" is often the final straw.

I've seen this a lot. I think it's mostly because puppies/young dogs are much more cute than older dogs.

But "new car" is often the final straw.
My dog is 7 years old and I bought the old cx-5 in aug 2012. He was past puppy lol. But yea right now, I don't want my first few scratches to be from his foot, plus the hair that doesn't blow out is stuck on the seat or in the vent and I don't clean my interior often.

Back