Infotainment update

ozymandius100

:
Mazda CX-5
Out of curiosity, does anyone believe that there is a chance in h*ll, that the CX-5 might get a updated infotainment system in the current 2015 model? I am curious if there is even the ability for it to just be software upgraded to the one in the mazda 3 or something else without replacing the whole head unit.

No way there is a way to get what the Mazda3 has, but they could always update the software and/or firmware. TomTom has done several software updates in the past, just nothing for about a year now. Only map updates every 4 months or so...

Best option would be to hope someone comes out with an Apple Carplay setup that is a plug and play and still retains setup stuff, but Mazdas sales numbers make me think no. If it was a Honda or Toyota, maybe, but I am just hoping for a update to dump the nav lock, which wont happen, and maybe something to fix the damn phonebook redownloading every time it pairs with my phone..

the MazdaConnect infotainment will be available in the 2016 CX-5, which comes out in a few months. They're entirely different components inside and out.

Different hardware, so no software update will do it.

I am curious however about a hardware swap. Looks like the same space in the dash, although it also looks like much of it is controlled with the commander knob. Pre-2016 US spec CX-5's don't come with it, but it may be able to be installed at the cost of one cupholder as other countries do.

Considering there's been a problem for a few years with no fix,it's shameful.
If there isn't a fix,this CX may be my first and last Mazda.

I know it's petty to even think about excluding a whole car brand because of its entertainment system, but it's the way that Mazda handle it thats got me totally turned off I will never ever buy another Mazda product again.

Someone at the dealer said the current system was scrapped a year ago, and we are just nipple feeding the current owners until they die off, or just give up. I was floored when I heard that.

PS, the current system is a piece meal setup and will never be up to more than what it is today, pure garbage.

I know it's petty to even think about excluding a whole car brand because of its entertainment system, but it's the way that Mazda handle it thats got me totally turned off I will never ever buy another Mazda product again.

Someone at the dealer said the current system was scrapped a year ago, and we are just nipple feeding the current owners until they die off, or just give up. I was floored when I heard that.

PS, the current system is a piece meal setup and will never be up to more than what it is today, pure garbage.

I feel the same exact way. I have decided to bite the bullet and trade my car in this week. Id rather buy out the $2k I am upside down on my 2014 then keep spending money on a car that is annoying the heck out of me. I definitely wont be considering Mazda again because of the handling of this issue. They took thousands of dollars from a lot of people for the nav and other upgrades then just blew us off.

Last edited:
Considering the cost of the Tech package, it really wasn't just for the Nav... If they charged nearly as much as other companies for just the nav, then I would be very upset.

So the bluetooth repeats the first song everytime you connect. Hit shuffle and the problem is gone. The navigation works great always deverting me around traffic jams. Text and emails are mainly a apple issue with any car. The bottom line is sales continue to increase and will even increase further once the new 2016 nav unlit is available in 2 months. Mazda broke away from Ford and is now making money and improving their products. Does anyone honestly think of this were a software issue it wouldn't be fixed yet? It's an hardware issue and they have replaced the unit on the 2016 model. My sons 2015 Mazda 3 has this technology and it works flawlessly.

It's an hardware issue and they have replaced the unit on the 2016 model. My sons 2015 Mazda 3 has this technology and it works flawlessly.

So, you're saying that I have to trade my CX for a 2016 to get a radio that works?

Considering the cost of the Tech package, it really wasn't just for the Nav... If they charged nearly as much as other companies for just the nav, then I would be very upset.

Good point.The tech pkg contents and the cost are the main reasons I bought the CX.
I'm just tired of hearing my wife complain about the IPod resume,phone/phonebook download on start up,lack of a button to open the cargo door on the fob.Plus she can't get texts but will when she upgrades her phone to an S5 that does work in the CX.I have an S5.She couldn't care less about handling.Her last two vehicles were CR-Vs and she wants another.
I don't drive the CX much.So the issues aren't a biggie to me but they would be if the CX was my vehicle.

No. If your radio doesn't work it will be repaired or replaced under warranty.

Mine still doesn't work dependably, it keeps losing the Text/Email to speech functionality!!! Bought 2015 Touring FWD back in early June 2014. I've received no word on a firmware update, or replacement with a functional model :-/

I can tell you the S5 works with Verizon. Did have to pair again after a dealer update. Other than that no problems with phone or texting.

The radio will tune in some stations some of the time. Most stations will drop off and fuzz out in locations that worked fine in my old car. But the worst is - It will not connect to my phone. Once I pair the phone it will connect that time until I turn off the car. Upon restart the phone will not connect. I have to erase the "Mazda" from the phone, and pair again for that one drive. This same phone worked well with the Ford for more that a year.

Hey, I will go to the NAIAS this month and see the new 2016 CX5. I think I will get a T-Shirt printed that says, my 2015 Infotainment is a POS and walk around the booth. LOL...

You know it cant be retro-fitted as well. I call Mazda and get the samole samole dish...were working on it...BS...

Back